What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

British Red wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:51 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:40 pm

Genuine OEM Kenwood element was £25 posted
Hang on ...OEM either you really know your stuff or are you trade in another field?

Original equipment manufacturer / manufactured in the case of the element it came in a sealed Kenwood bag
with a Kenwood part code on inside a brown box.with a part number unrelated to the Kenwood part number. It was listed to fit several makes of cooker .. :lol: Often used phrase in the automotive industry.

For genuine / identical or absolute like for like part usually from the big players take car be it a ford / fiat/ Renault oil filter .. you'll often see Mann Hummel or Fram listed as OEM as somewhere in the supply line to the factories they have supplied the factory with filters branded with the manufacturers logo and then churn out the same filter as a aftermarket replacement to the same original specs .. and cars well the engine in my car is used by mercedes Renault Dacia nissan and immsmc Peugeot....

So the spark plugs which are a odd size relatively speaking so much so that no one including euro car parts or the local motorfactors had them on stock or listed I rung round several dealers and the Renault dealer was cheaper than anyone and had them on the shelf.... Made by NGK I've kept one in the door pocket so I've got the NGK number to refer to next time :lol:

Same as the thermostat tonight I couldn't find any swan parts anywhere listed to suit (moulinex (fr)) used to own the brand it died about 20 years ago then Was bought by Littlewoods catalogue who have stuff made and stick the name on it... It looks like it's back in its own name but the freezer did come from the catalogue about 6 years ago.https://www.linkedin.com/company/swan-products-limited... took the top off found the thermostat make and part number and ordered a replacement based on the thermostat manufacturer/ part number like for like identical one turned up in a candy hoover bag.. always fun hunting parts :twisted:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
British Red

Post by British Red »

It's just surprising to hear the phrase OEM from someone doing a domestic repair - most people don't know the difference between OEM, compatible & pattern parts - good for you!

Connect ( the firm) have an amazing database of part numbers that lists every compatible part for every appliance. It has decades worth of information and millions of compatibility cross references - it's unique in the industry .
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

OEM is a standard term in the computer industry too.

And hats off to Andy for the repair job. Basic repairs can save a fortune. Our in-laws were throwing out a very high end vacuum cleaner years ago as "broken"
"We will take and see if we can fix it"
One loose wire in the plug later.......

This summer's job was a new bulb for the oven. Electrically simple but a bit grubby. "First clean your oven"
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Copied from another forum:
Old college friend who is a part time sales rep for fertiliser said he had a terrible Wednesday as price and availability of fertiliser was released and then withdrawn 30 minutes later by firms before he had time to contact all the farmers ask them if they were prepared to pay over £1000/tonne for it. What a crazy world we are in just now.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Mrs J has a sore throat,cough and mouth ulcers right now. These last two years,isolating,mask wearing,we haven’t really had any Winter bugs. She went to the medicine cabinet for remedies for the above,and found,out of date,sticky,’gone off’ medicine. So later on it’s a trip to Home Bargains to put that right.

I have permission to remove a storm damaged ash tree down the lane,so fuel and fit a fresh chain on a saw.I’ll do that mid week. On top of that,my builder friend dropped off a LOT of good quality pallets,so that’ll be a another job.

The garden is calling,so I’ll get the beds ready,and also get some spuds into pots to force in the tunnel. We have a slight surplus of eggs,so I’ll get some of those pickled too. Somewhere in there I have to go and do some money- earning too! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Ash is my absolute top firewood - dense, clean burning, good heat. Enjoy it. Got a big cedar to deal with end of the month
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Jansman tell her to take high dose vitC and hot drinks with honey.
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

So glad I married a practical man. He was an accountant but did an engineering degree and his heart is in pottering. Our fridge is 35 years old and still going strong because he has replaced the thermostat at least three times. It's a Husqvarna which is no longer a brand that you can buy but it takes Indesit parts. He found that out the same way as you did.

We bought a Mercury cooker just before Mercury were taken over by AGA - eliminating the competition. AGA never even made a pretence of maintaining production of the conventional cookers, they wanted Mercury's heatstore technology. So when the oven element packed up we couldn't find a repair man who would look at it. Thanks to some internet research he found an element that would fit and we were in business again.

Ditto replacing the brushes in the washing machine motor. Now, he may be practical but he doesn't always have an abundance of common sense. That job produces a really filthy black carbon dust which marks everything it touches. Let's just say he needed supervision so as not to trek it over the carpet.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

mbbaltic wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:41 am So glad I married a practical man. He was an accountant but did an engineering degree and his heart is in pottering. Our fridge is 35 years old and still going strong because he has replaced the thermostat at least three times. It's a Husqvarna which is no longer a brand that you can buy but it takes Indesit parts. He found that out the same way as you did.

We bought a Mercury cooker just before Mercury were taken over by AGA - eliminating the competition. AGA never even made a pretence of maintaining production of the conventional cookers, they wanted Mercury's heatstore technology. So when the oven element packed up we couldn't find a repair man who would look at it. Thanks to some internet research he found an element that would fit and we were in business again.

Ditto replacing the brushes in the washing machine motor. Now, he may be practical but he doesn't always have an abundance of common sense. That job produces a really filthy black carbon dust which marks everything it touches. Let's just say he needed supervision so as not to trek it over the carpet.
You sound like my wife :lol: I usually come home filthy from work Tuesday I was replacing a hydraulic hose Thursday a thermostat in a industrial engine I'm banned from entering the house unless I strip off. :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hoorah, my bookcase repair is finished - cut down, reinforced, cleaned, shuffled to the alcove, which it fits with about 2mm each side, woo. Also repaired the paint in the living room where an RSJ from the kitchen had to be installed. I'm collecting the books from around the house to go back into the bookcase, and this time I'm making the decision that in case of flood, I'm putting the prepping books (gardening, foraging, sourdough making etc) onto a higher shelf than previously.