YOU SURVIVED THE APOCALYPSE!!! WHAT NEXT???

Homes and Retreats
unsure

Re: YOU SURVIVED THE APOCALYPSE!!! WHAT NEXT???

Post by unsure »

we have a TA centre not to far from me not sure what they keep there other than than anti aircraft guns again not sure if these are live or just for training purposes . i do know thay have a indoor range , also i think we have a sea cadet centre if thats of any use . as for feild sports we only have the one in rainford .the nearest gun shop is in wigan and the nearest army surplus stores is in ormskirk . so nothing of any real use thats local .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Haplo2481

Post by Haplo2481 »

by Huntsman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:00 pm

Well this is something I regularly ponder, for me it would not be to bad! I have a large garden that provides fresh fruits and vegetables all year round, about 3 water butts full (it rains a lot), I myself am a keen hunter and have been for 7-15 years I have no problem stalking and killing deer, rabbit, game and am sure I could hunt semi-domesticated farm animals! I also own several firearms! So in reality my plan would be to stay put!

Now in the interests of providing some useful information I will assume I lived in the middle of a town, had no hunting experience, gardening experience and no firearms! To ensure my survival I would need to source a secure shelter, weapons, food and water. Because it is near me I will take my local town of Monmouth as the example.my first priority would be to leave the town, so I would head over to the local hardware store and take a crowbar and some wire cutter + electrical tape, I would then find a older 4x4 (there are always lots about) open the door with the crowbar and remove the panel below the steering wheel, then I would locate the clip or wire harness So I can gain access to the wires behind the ignition, Find Two wires that are the same usually red (because that is the live wire!) strip them and twist them together, And wrap them in electrical tape, then strip the ignition wire (usually brown) and touch them together till the engine starts, then rev it a bit so it does not stall and off I go (although this is a real technique I learnt as a teen to hot wire a car, I would never condone the use of it) next stop the Monmouth recycling centre (the warehouse) I know that in there they store large amounts of diesel for the rubbish collection lorries, so I would break in and siphon as much fuel as I could carry. I also (being a local) happen to know that next door to the ware house is an old railway tunnel that has now become monmouth rifle club and range so I would then proceed to break in, and take all the ammunition and guns (proberbly some 22. Rifles and maybe if I'm lucky a 7x62) so having secured transport and weaponry I would drive to the nearby town of Chepstow. From a survivalists aspect Chepstow is a great location, it has an old but still relatively intact castle on the cliffs above the river (which would become my new home due to its security) there are a few good stores that I would "raid" to name a few tesco, a military surplus store and several clothing shops. Once I had run out of clean bottled water, i would lower buckets down into the river of the castle walls, pull them back up run it through a bandana and boil. And for long term food, I would capture animals and make some pens for them in 1 of the 3 grass filled courtyards, I would grow crops in the other two with seeds from the local garden centre and live out the rest of my humble existance there.

A few notes

Firearms - think, army cadets (in some they keep sa80's and small calibre rifles, hunting stores (there are stores in both Newport and Hereford near me that sell guns and ammunition) as well as ranges/clay pigeon centres and gun clubs

Fuel - think out side the box industrial ware houses, farms, race courses, go-carting centres

Food - everywhere if you know where to look!

Military hardware - although you may imagine It being everywhere, they are generally secured in places meant to withstand terrorist attacks

Nuclear power stations - its not so much the reactor you have to worry about, they have extreme measures in them to close things down, it's the used fuel cells that you worry about, once the water used to cool them has evaporated things get very hot!
[quote][/quote]

I think that is the first post that I've read that someone has said that they would take what they need and I 'm not sure I'd condemn them. I don't have kids but I am close to my nieces and will do what ever it takes to protect them. In fact my preps take into account looking after my brother and family. I've often wondered how many people on here would start raiding to get want they want rather than sitting tight and waiting for every one else to die off. What's the general consensus about this? I've just read " the death of grass" and ignoring some of it's old fashioned attitudes it does pose the interesting question of how soon would you realise that things have changed and that killing others to ensure your own survival could be the only way to go? The people in the book start killing people fairly quickly to make sure that they, themselves survive.
Too many bunnies, not enough pandas.
junmist

Post by junmist »

Huntsman wrote:Well this is something I regularly ponder, for me it would not be to bad! I have a large garden that provides fresh fruits and vegetables all year round, about 3 water butts full (it rains a lot), I myself am a keen hunter and have been for 7-15 years I have no problem stalking and killing deer, rabbit, game and am sure I could hunt semi-domesticated farm animals! I also own several firearms! So in reality my plan would be to stay put!

Now in the interests of providing some useful information I will assume I lived in the middle of a town, had no hunting experience, gardening experience and no firearms! To ensure my survival I would need to source a secure shelter, weapons, food and water. Because it is near me I will take my local town of Monmouth as the example.my first priority would be to leave the town, so I would head over to the local hardware store and take a crowbar and some wire cutter + electrical tape, I would then find a older 4x4 (there are always lots about) open the door with the crowbar and remove the panel below the steering wheel, then I would locate the clip or wire harness So I can gain access to the wires behind the ignition, Find Two wires that are the same usually red (because that is the live wire!) strip them and twist them together, And wrap them in electrical tape, then strip the ignition wire (usually brown) and touch them together till the engine starts, then rev it a bit so it does not stall and off I go (although this is a real technique I learnt as a teen to hot wire a car, I would never condone the use of it) next stop the Monmouth recycling centre (the warehouse) I know that in there they store large amounts of diesel for the rubbish collection lorries, so I would break in and siphon as much fuel as I could carry. I also (being a local) happen to know that next door to the ware house is an old railway tunnel that has now become monmouth rifle club and range so I would then proceed to break in, and take all the ammunition and guns (proberbly some 22. Rifles and maybe if I'm lucky a 7x62) so having secured transport and weaponry I would drive to the nearby town of Chepstow. From a survivalists aspect Chepstow is a great location, it has an old but still relatively intact castle on the cliffs above the river (which would become my new home due to its security) there are a few good stores that I would "raid" to name a few tesco, a military surplus store and several clothing shops. Once I had run out of clean bottled water, i would lower buckets down into the river of the castle walls, pull them back up run it through a bandana and boil. And for long term food, I would capture animals and make some pens for them in 1 of the 3 grass filled courtyards, I would grow crops in the other two with seeds from the local garden centre and live out the rest of my humble existance there.

A few notes

Firearms - think, army cadets (in some they keep sa80's and small calibre rifles, hunting stores (there are stores in both Newport and Hereford near me that sell guns and ammunition) as well as ranges/clay pigeon centres and gun clubs

Fuel - think out side the box industrial ware houses, farms, race courses, go-carting centres

Food - everywhere if you know where to look!

Military hardware - although you may imagine It being everywhere, they are generally secured in places meant to withstand terrorist attacks

Nuclear power stations - its not so much the reactor you have to worry about, they have extreme measures in them to close things down, it's the used fuel cells that you worry about, once the water used to cool them has evaporated things get very hot!

And a final note - sorry for any bad grammar/spelling errors I typed all of that on my new tablet computer and am still adjusting to typing on a touch screen
Thanks huntsman I had wondered about hotwireing a car but as this is a law abideing site I was a bit reluctant to ask if any one knew how
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

As I said I would not and do not condone it but it was a purely fictional story ;)
chillihound

Post by chillihound »

i think that panic would spread far quicker than we could realise. it wouldn't take very long at all for people to turn violent. tbh i think as soon as one person says "its the end of the world" it would turn into a dog eat dog world.
if its a case of kill or be killed its not an excuse to go round eliminating folk. but if the situation comes up and you or people you love are about to be killed by some idiot in a panic frenzy then you should absolutely eliminate the threat.
in that kind of world. you must take what you need, nobody is ever gonna give you anything again. its the only way
Always know where your towel is!!
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

chillihound wrote:in that kind of world. you must take what you need, nobody is ever gonna give you anything again. its the only way
That's what I wrote my "if I was not prepared piece for!
unsure

Post by unsure »

on the subject of `hot wiring ` it needs to be said ,this only works on older cars , if it has a chipped key or remote to open it ,it won`t work .same goes for vans and wagons . these older type of ignitions are becoming rare these days .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

I mean I read somewhere that you can drill the key hole until it is unrecognisable and then hammer a flat head screwdriver into it as the key :?
unsure

Post by unsure »

that would get you past the steering lock thats all , you still have the problem of the ecu not recieving the signal from the chip in the key to allow it to start .
chris8472

Post by chris8472 »

if its a diesel run a wire from the battery to the cut out soilinoud on the pump and a wire from the battery to the starter but you still got to bust the stearing lock a leanth of scafold tube will do that :roll: