Prepping for this winter's potential electricity crisis

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: Prepping for this winter's potential electricity crisis

Post by Arzosah »

Frnc wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:10 pm It makes sense but all these posts about creeping about in the dark seems like an accident waiting to happen. Mind you, I nearly fell over not seeing a kerb the other day, something which put my dad in hospital.
Yeah, I don't like walking around in the dark, to be honest, my free-floating anxiety gets the better of me. For the sake of a 1 x AA torch, I'll have a bit of light.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Something I've wanted to do for ages has been accomplished today! I've used my sealant gun - living room and bathroom - to seal the gap between the top of the skirting board and the wall. The living room is the coolest room in my house: great in summer, horrible in winter. This sealant should stop that.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:08 pm Something I've wanted to do for ages has been accomplished today! I've used my sealant gun - living room and bathroom - to seal the gap between the top of the skirting board and the wall. The living room is the coolest room in my house: great in summer, horrible in winter. This sealant should stop that.
Well done! It’s great when you achieve something isn’t it?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:05 pm
Frnc wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:10 pm It makes sense but all these posts about creeping about in the dark seems like an accident waiting to happen. Mind you, I nearly fell over not seeing a kerb the other day, something which put my dad in hospital.
Yeah, I don't like walking around in the dark, to be honest, my free-floating anxiety gets the better of me. For the sake of a 1 x AA torch, I'll have a bit of light.
Exactly. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:31 pm
Arzosah wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:08 pm Something I've wanted to do for ages has been accomplished today! I've used my sealant gun - living room and bathroom - to seal the gap between the top of the skirting board and the wall. The living room is the coolest room in my house: great in summer, horrible in winter. This sealant should stop that.
Well done! It’s great when you achieve something isn’t it?
Thanks! I'm thrilled, to be honest - the gaps were really big, I'm surprised I haven't had mice through there. It's very badly done, because the radiator pipes are immediately above the skirting board, but I could tear it off and renew it next summer, doing it properly. Right now, I just want it done, so I can move on to other things.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Few of tips for sealant
1. There are two main types, silicone and water based. Water based can be cleaned up with a damp sponge. It dries waterproof obviously, but silicone is better in wet areas.
2. Don't have it too deep. Use packing if necessary underneath. Thinner is more elastic.
3. Silicone can be squirted with dilute washing up liquid and cleaned off with a finger or tool dipped in soapy water. Make sure there are no gaps where soap can get where it shouldn't. This is to remove excess sealant, and create a smooth surface. The soap stops your finger or tool sticking to it. This method was taught to me by people at a company that makes tile adhesive and makes, or at least sells under their own brand, silicone sealant.
4. I dry mine after a shower to prevent mould. HG mould spray will get rid of it though.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:05 pm

Head torch for me; I like my hands free when stopping a fall :shock:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I like to be able to do it, blind people can. Justin case one night I have to :mrgreen: In this wee place it's easy , might not be like that in a big house - and stairs would be lethal.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:10 am I like to be able to do it, blind people can. Justin case one night I have to :mrgreen: In this wee place it's easy , might not be like that in a big house - and stairs would be lethal.
My place is tiny, and I don't keep stuff on the floor, nor do I have much furniture. And my stairs *are* so lethal everyone who's used them has commented on them!

Horses for courses :)
SamVimes

Post by SamVimes »

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26016287/
A simple fall can be deadly especially in older folk.