Garden activity

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Moorland Prepper

Re: Garden activity

Post by Moorland Prepper »

Today we planted troughs with lettuce, spinach and rocket seeds and left these in a heated greenhouse.

Potatoes to follow around Easter when we'll also take the troughs out of the greenhouse and replace them with cucumbers and tomatoes.

This is our second year of growing veg. Last year we went a bit overboard with too much variety and plants that were not too suitable for where we live. We just planted anything that took our fancy and were surprised when half of it did not grow.

We both feel much more prepared and hopeful this year, but you never know :)
British Red

Post by British Red »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:58 pm

This is our second year of growing veg. Last year we went a bit overboard with too much variety and plants that were not too suitable for where we live. We just planted anything that took our fancy and were surprised when half of it did not grow.

We both feel much more prepared and hopeful this year, but you never know :)
If you ever figure it out, let me know, I'm an old man, been growing veg for decades and I've yet to have a year where I didn't learn things and have other things go wrong that had previously gone well.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Farmer friend delivered the stuff to grow our veggies in today - nice wet, rotted horse manure. It always amazes me how the combination of rotted organic matter and thick organic mulch improves soil vastly more than any artificial fertiliser. The combination provides nutrition, water retention, weed suppression and soil structure.

ImageHorse manure by English Countrylife, on Flickr
British Red

Post by British Red »

It may be small but the "first early" potatoes are up :)

ImageFirst early potatoes by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Cucumbers are up - had a poor show last year so hoping for better this year. Returned to "Telegraph" variety that do well here

ImageCucumber by English Countrylife, on Flickr

The first beans are up. Two varieties here of climbing French beans - one green and one purple. Planted 30 of each - 100 % germination. I'll be giving some away,!

ImageFrench beans by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Potted on the early red cabbage. Left it too long in the John Innes tbh - should have potted on a week ago, hopefully they will perk up

ImageRed cabbage by English Countrylife, on Flickr
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

I'd guess my cucumbers are about ten days behind yours Red ( La Diva), the Gherkins are only just popping up for some reason, variety I guess. Cos lettuce are coming up in an unheated polytunnel, robust seeds they are as are the bowls of mixed lettuce seeds I've sown or rather my nine year old granddaughter sowed (set up 5 grow bags for her 'secret garden' but too early to plant yet).
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Lettuce is doing well here too. Just a little cool for pumpkin in the greenhouse so I'm germinating indoors then putting out
jansman

Post by jansman »

My lettuce is looking well. I’ll sow some Scotch kale this week ,seeing as how the seed I sent up to diamond lil in Scotland has germinated! :D Its the only brassica I grow ,and sits nicely in a bed with spinach beet,beetroot and rainbow chard.Looks lovely. When the cabbage whites start fluttering about,I have a frame to pull over a sheet of scaffold netting to protect from caterpillars.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

24 hours in the propagator and the pumpkins are up!

ImagePumpkins by English Countrylife, on Flickr
Moorland Prepper

Post by Moorland Prepper »

Today we potted tomato plants (donated by kind neigbour) and also the cucumber plants that arrived this morning. We'll bake the neigbour a wholemeal loaf tomorrow as a thank you.

The greenhouse is looking a bit crowded as we are still getting frosts and don't want to put out the lettuce, rocket and spinach until things warm up a bit.

Also did a three potato tubers in a small container. No great success with these last year, so this year we are using a potato fertilizer. Over the next month we shall do another two similar tubs of potatoes.

Leaned a lot from last year (first year growing veg.), mainly that some plants won't grow well when it is wet and cold :)

We have one largish trough still empty. In a couple of months we shall sow more lettuce, spinach and rocket.

That's our plans for this year. Not quite so ambitious as last year but hopefully more successful!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:03 pm Today we potted tomato plants (donated by kind neigbour) and also the cucumber plants that arrived this morning. We'll bake the neigbour a wholemeal loaf tomorrow as a thank you.

The greenhouse is looking a bit crowded as we are still getting frosts and don't want to put out the lettuce, rocket and spinach until things warm up a bit.

Also did a three potato tubers in a small container. No great success with these last year, so this year we are using a potato fertilizer. Over the next month we shall do another two similar tubs of potatoes.

Leaned a lot from last year (first year growing veg.), mainly that some plants won't grow well when it is wet and cold :)
That's our plans for this year. Not quite so ambitious as last year but hopefully more successful!
Hi MP,
I read about your successes and failures from last year. Good luck for this time around.
I envy you your heated greenhouse, where you had most success. Are you planning on keeping your tomatoes in the Greenhouse throughout? You say your greenhouse is crowded. Do you have a multitude of the same type of veg, or a wide variety? Have you considered peas and beans and some sorts of squash for this year? Apparently they are easier to grow and more hardy outside.

Join our race to the plate :)

Here's hoping for a great growing season.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong