Thinking Ahead To Winter

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: Thinking Ahead To Winter

Post by diamond lil »

Not sure if RD is still on this forum. She lives waaay up near Cape Wrath so she knows a hell of a lot more about cold than any of us, so am sure she's getting herself fixed up for winter. I don't know about mixing olive oil with paraffin - why would you do that? If it's for cheapness there wont be much in it, olive oil isnt cheap.
"Always take into account that there is NO such thing as news, just punditry of varying qualities."

Nick this is a posher version of my mantra :mrgreen: News depends on who's reporting it ! And I never ever believe anything I hear on YouTube unless it has a credible backup source. Anybody can say anything on the net - it has more nutters per square inch than Glasgow :lol:
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

diamond lil wrote: And I never ever believe anything I hear on YouTube unless it has a credible backup source. Anybody can say anything on the net - it has more nutters per square inch than Glasgow :lol:

LOL. If I could give that a thumbs up, i would :)
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

I agree Lil, except I take it further.

I don't believe anything I see on the News unless I researched it myself.

The exception to this rule is if they add "IN AMERICA" at the end. In which case I will believe almost anything no matter how mad it sounds. :P

A man ate his car today....WTF......in America.....Oh, OK then.

As for thinning the oil, I think they were talking about adding vegetable oil with paraffin which is cheaper than olive oil which doesn't need thinning. Just get down to your local chippy and ask for some old fat then sieve out the crud.

Be lucky (and paranoid) :tinfoil
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

In a book that was being discussed on an American homesteading forum they made a lamp out of axle grease and a bit of material wrapped round a button, in a small dish. It was an old book so wouldnt be a plastic button. can anybody think how that would be done? I wasn't paying attention to the discussion - think you would wrap the material round the button and plonk into the grease? What about a wick? Does axle grease smell or smoke? (dont even know what hell it looks like...)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Anyone tried buying paraffin lately? I use it in the yard and greenhouse. I keep a lamp going in the outside privy.Yes my property has one!
I bought15 gallons 7yrs ago from a petrol station that had it on the pump.Now it seems to be prepack.

Indoors I like to keep LED lanterns. Less risk of fire.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

diamond lil wrote:In a book that was being discussed on an American homesteading forum they made a lamp out of axle grease and a bit of material wrapped round a button, in a small dish. It was an old book so wouldnt be a plastic button. can anybody think how that would be done? I wasn't paying attention to the discussion - think you would wrap the material round the button and plonk into the grease? What about a wick? Does axle grease smell or smoke? (don't even know what hell it looks like...)

Other sections of this website suggested to me that i research Olive Oil Lamps for in case of emergency.

you can get wicks (proper lamp wicks, braided etc) from your local hardware store and also the wire ( I got galvanized steel 1.2 MM) that you need to hold the wick.
reperio a solutio
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I find Olive oil dear though. Cant afford to cook in it so I dont want to burn it. Yes Jansman I use paraffin in a couple of lamps for power cuts. I buy it at B&Q the local hardware shop used to keep it but not any more.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

diamond lil wrote:I find Olive oil dear though. Cant afford to cook in it so I dont want to burn it. Yes Jansman I use paraffin in a couple of lamps for power cuts. I buy it at B&Q the local hardware shop used to keep it but not any more.
I tend to get my olive oils at the 99p stores or B&M (which is another delightfully cheap shop). Nice and cheap. I use the oil for my gluten free bread preparation. Only use a dash in each pan and loaf.
reperio a solutio
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

I've tried burning veg oil in a hurricane lamp.

Even after a days soaking, it just "ate" the wick.
Red Doe

Post by Red Doe »

Paying £7 a gallon of paraffin here at the moment. :(
I do keep it for use in oil lamps and an old paraffin heater which is coming in handy on chilly nights.
I guess to take lamps back to the absolute basics, get a dish, fill with melted tallow, take the pith from a reed and soak in that, then trail the reed wick out of the oil and light the end. Stinks though.... :D