well hello

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Frnc

Re: well hello

Post by Frnc »

Baloo wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:25 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:52 am
Baloo wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:20 am Hi
im not sure im any different from those with homesteads who want to be self sufficient and im not into fortification more secrecy, if no one knows its there then its not a problem to anyone and that throws up the first decision to be made do l ask for planning permission ??? because that blows any ideas of it being a well kept secret right out of the water, the council will post my application on lamp posts nearby asking for objections, they will write to the nearest houses asking for their views on the project so this really sends me down the secret route, do it and tell know one !!

i will post up about how i intend to construct as im sure it will raise eyebows lol
I'm not a lawyer but as I read it, you would need planning permission.
hello again
i was just pondering planning over my mussily, i have full planning for the barn that was done 25 years ago at the same time i sought planning for 3 40' shipping containers which i got, ive just looked up the paper work, it says 3 shipping containers for the purpose of storage, it dosent define where they are in relation to the barn so if l turned one into a bunker is it still covered by the original pp ? it still on the same property just have to move it 60ft or so, and its still used for storing all the gear needed to survive, pp dosent say what i was storing :roll:
Best bet is just to phone the council and ask them. I wouldn't call it a bunker though. Say some thing like you want to dig a hole, put the container in, cover it over, and use it for storage.
Say that way you've used up less space. And not created an eyesore.
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

Frnc wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:04 am
Baloo wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:38 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:37 pm Come back original poster. You've piqued our interest
im still here i was busy painting my excavator a different colour so you cant fine me :roll:
Jenny, find out the colour and get photoshopping!
It's yellow of course 👍
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

You could call the container a walipini greenhouse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walipini they're a real thing :)
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:23 pm You could call the container a walipini greenhouse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walipini they're a real thing :)
I'm not convinced you could call a metal box a greenhouse. Interesting article anyway.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Some friends of ours built an off grid house/cabin without planning permission and lived there for years before being "discovered". Helpful when the council does find you to have dated photos to prove how long it's been there.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Frnc wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:06 pm
Arzosah wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:23 pm You could call the container a walipini greenhouse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walipini they're a real thing :)
I'm not convinced you could call a metal box a greenhouse. Interesting article anyway.
Nor me, but its a very possible lining :mrgreen:
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

Nurseandy wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:02 pm Some friends of ours built an off grid house/cabin without planning permission and lived there for years before being "discovered". Helpful when the council does find you to have dated photos to prove how long it's been there.
hi
what was the out come did they get planning via the 4 year rule ? our council seem to set a lot of store with utility bills if you want to prove address, difficult to do with an off grid home i imagine, and yes lots and lots of photos but it can be hard to prove when a photo was taken

Andy
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

Frnc wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:09 am
Baloo wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:25 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:52 am
I'm not a lawyer but as I read it, you would need planning permission.
hello again
i was just pondering planning over my mussily, i have full planning for the barn that was done 25 years ago at the same time i sought planning for 3 40' shipping containers which i got, ive just looked up the paper work, it says 3 shipping containers for the purpose of storage, it dosent define where they are in relation to the barn so if l turned one into a bunker is it still covered by the original pp ? it still on the same property just have to move it 60ft or so, and its still used for storing all the gear needed to survive, pp dosent say what i was storing :roll:
Best bet is just to phone the council and ask them. I wouldn't call it a bunker though. Say some thing like you want to dig a hole, put the container in, cover it over, and use it for storage.
Say that way you've used up less space. And not created an eyesore.

i have spoken to the council about my intended wine store, they suggested i go in and chat about it on one of their monthly open days where they give informal advice, i guess i better get a hair cut and polish my shoes soon then
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Yes they did get retrospective planning permission. They were probably there for something like 10 years before the council took action.
With regards to photos they took pictures of their children (probably more of a commitment than you want ;) ) as they grew and of cars with registration plates so (presumably) dates of ownership could be checked with dvla.
Baloo

Post by Baloo »

Nurseandy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:02 pm Yes they did get retrospective planning permission. They were probably there for something like 10 years before the council took action.
With regards to photos they took pictures of their children (probably more of a commitment than you want ;) ) as they grew and of cars with registration plates so (presumably) dates of ownership could be checked with dvla.
excellent they certainly planned ahead with the kids lol, and yes far to much of a commitment at 65 years old lol