full tank or not, that is the question !

How are you preparing
Ian

Re: full tank or not, that is the question !

Post by Ian »

The HSE is a little disingenuous in that statement as it is possible to keep two, two gallon (not ten litre) metal containers AND two, five litre plastic containers in your house. When they introduced the plastic container regs they forgot to amend the Motor Vehicle regs so two SEPARATE pieces of legislation apply and they don't overlap.

Also, as the above post says, the internal tank of a vehicle is in addition. Curiously there seems to be no legislation covering the use and storage of tanks for outboard motors which appear to have the same status of vehicle internal tanks as they are specificly used for transportation. This is untested in the courts.

Common sense applies, do you really want to share your home with such an amount of flammable material when it could easily be stored in a safer place? The regulations are quite reasonable in my opinion and make sense as a limit on home storage. It would be difficult to justify more storage to your insurance company in the event of an incident.

P.S. These are the Petroleum Spirit Regs, they don't apply to Diesel, so you can store what you wish of that which makes a mockery of having the Petroleum Spirit regs in the first place.

Daft.
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

This may help. Seems to be a stable of most PAW fiction I read.

http://www.ready2race.co.uk/shop/shop.p ... xwodnDKmXw

£20 will give you enough to keep nearly 17 Gallons of fuel usable for up to 2 years.
Ian

Post by Ian »

May I direct you to:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2376&p=23870&hilit=wynns#p23870

The price has come down to £6.80 for enough to treat 50 litres i.e. 13.6p/litre
TomW

Post by TomW »

I don't think the petrol regs are any less relevant due to a lack of diesel specific regs as petrol is so much more volatile. Diesel is also a process rather than a specific substance so would be difficult to define and control without impacting on a wide array of situations, most obvious of which is oil based heating systems which run on the same stuff with a different name! Any legislation put in place would either be so restrictive or so full of loopholes as to be ineffective. Where it us stored in bulk legislation is mostly aimed at preventing contamination from spillages rather than the fire risk. After all you can extinguish a lit match in diesel!

For my tuppence, I keep my tank half full as a minimum with two jerry cans (40l or another half tank) for short term shortages. At home we have oil heating giving another 5000l at the start of winter and if the s really htf I have a mimimum 5000l at work running up to a full tank of 45000l. I'm happy with that ;) Also have a friendly garage that stops selling to the public if fuel shortages begin, keeping their stock for family, friends and very regular customers only. If only I could keep that quantity of water handy I'd be a very happy man :)