What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
grenfell

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by grenfell »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:55 am Only one years worth Lil? Amateurs. :lol:
Had a friend of a friend on facebook suggesting that people should consider having a 72 hour emergency box. I replied to him that 72 days would be a better goal to aim at.
Strange thing is that he is one of those people who are constantly slagging off the government ( a recent post was how many had died because of austerity) yet he said 72 hours because any situation would be sorted out within three days.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Preps this week involve getting a Costco card again. Not had one for a number of years now but hubby muttered to me about getting one and going shopping again. We also spoke about water supplies. He's always been happy that I prep and we talk about what if situations but he's not actively gone in for it much apart from when Brexit was looming, it refocused him and again with this virus he is refocused.
Like Jansman, we have an ill person in the immediate family, so the less you have to crowd mingle the better as I don't want to get it and pass it to my daughter. I am sure that I'll be fine but she is unlikely to be. Not sure about the Costco card. I can see him getting all manner of crap that we don't need! I recon I'd be better just with upping the weekly food shops a bit and concentrating on the tinned soups and meals really. Also I'm nipping into Boots and grabbing a temporary dentistry filling kit. Always handy to have anyhow but if we did end up in lock down, the last thing I want is an icky tooth until I can get to a dentist.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

PreppingPingu wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:44 pm... temporary dentistry filling kit. Always handy to have anyhow but if we did end up in lock down, the last thing I want is an icky tooth until I can get to a dentist.
I wasn't aware of such thing. Thanks.
Clove oil is a handy dental pain soother.

My Preps this week comprise a realignment from general long term survival, to a shorter one month self quarantine, assuming one or both of us is ill. Stocking up on some of those last minute, short shelf life foods. Chocolate, sweets, biscuits, cereal, flour and cheese to last at least a month. Flu soothing meds, menthol etc to maybe ease symptoms.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

My 5 children came home from school today with a letter telling me that the school had hosted foriegn visitors during the day. They apprently are from Japan and other countries looking at becoming teachers, they went from classroom to classroom, interacting with all the children. I'm fumming, what a stupid thing to do with a pandemic due! I do not care what their nationalities are, I normally quite like the Japanese but still think events like this should be canciled. This gov do not seem to be attempting to stop this spreading, I so wish schools would be closed soon, then I could bunker down until it has blown over...
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Daughter has had to self-isolate as advised due to being in contact with someone who has tested positive and was panicking and quite upset because she has since had contact with Granny who is immunosupressed. Had a disagreement today with big boss who was ranting about people prepping because " we arent going to run out of food or toilet roll". Explained that this could be a possibility if people are isolated or ill and the distrubution is disrupted. We are due to go away for a few days in the new hot tent, out in the sticks and have packed additional food supplies and medical stuff just in case we get delayed due to weather or anything else. Admittedly I am a bit nervous about going away and leaving the reassurance of my home preps behind, but hopefully BOB, camping stuff and a bit of knowledge should help if things go awry. Buds on the fruit trees and bushes, autumn planted garlic and onions are looking good and the rhubarb is already sprouting. Need to crack on with planting in the greenhouse when we return an getting some of the acquired pallets chopped as its starting to look a bit like pallet city in the back garden.
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Pruning the apple trees at my parents we got gifted a chainsaw on a pole :mrgreen:

Already had the helmet and gloves but invested in some class 1 20 m/s trousers

Ps there's not much left bar the trunk :tinfoil
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:06 pm Pruning the apple trees at my parents we got gifted a chainsaw on a pole :mrgreen:

The trousers are a good idea Andy, wouldn’t operate a saw without any of that gear. I have never even had a kick back or near miss, but I won’t take a chance.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:57 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:06 pm Pruning the apple trees at my parents we got gifted a chainsaw on a pole :mrgreen:

The trousers are a good idea Andy, wouldn’t operate a saw without any of that gear. I have never even had a kick back or near miss, but I won’t take a chance.

I work in the timber trade wood working machines do not take prisoners from routers to chain saws flesh won't stop it... I've seen several fingers and a hand removed in my time I won't take a chance with power tools ... Next on my list is a matching jacket (got gloves with armoured back left panel) JSP helmet with visor and ear defender's
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:15 pm
jansman wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:57 pm

I work in the timber trade wood working machines do not take prisoners from routers to chain saws flesh won't stop it... I've seen several fingers and a hand removed in my time I won't take a chance with power tools ... Next on my list is a matching jacket (got gloves with armoured back left panel) JSP helmet with visor and ear defender's
Any machine designed to cut or shape seasoned beech is not going to notice the little pinkies.

Chainsaws make me nervous and I don't want one. I'll stick to hand power.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

When you know how to use a chainsaw, they are not scary. I have a petrol and electric both have their applications. I love them. Agricultural colleges run courses on using them if you are interested.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.