What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
Nurseandy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Nurseandy »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:33 pm
Nurseandy wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:12 pm Yorkshire Andy - what was the name of the suitable for ALL fires extinguishers you wrote about a while back. My ABC's are approaching needing serviced/replaced so the ones that are suitable for all fires seem a good move

Firexo

https://firexo.com/

Stocked by Screwfix and Halfords

By the ratings as good as the old 9l water jet extinguisher on class a .. equivalent to 1kg powder or 2kg co2 on flam liquids good on a 25l commercial chip pan
Excellent, thank you 👍
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

This afternoon I've continued the prepping theme.. all battery smoke detectors and co alarms have had new batteries installed and a quick vac over with the hoover
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:14 pm This afternoon I've continued the prepping theme.. all battery smoke detectors and co alarms have had new batteries installed and a quick vac over with the hoover
My bedroom alarm's not gone off since I vacuumed it a few weeks ago. Seems to have done the trick, so I put it back up the other day. I replaced the battery first time, but it did it again, so I have a battery somewhere that's only a few months old*.

All my alarms have batteries less than a year old. I think I'll leave them now, as replacing them early is expensive and wasteful.

Went through my pile of batteries for chucking. Most were past expiry date. Three seem to be much newer. Two are just marked 2022 on the end, so I assume that is manufacture date. One is definitely only a year old. I assume that's the one from my room*. I put those to one side for re-use.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:27 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:14 pm This afternoon I've continued the prepping theme.. all battery smoke detectors and co alarms have had new batteries installed and a quick vac over with the hoover
My bedroom alarm's not gone off since I vacuumed it a few weeks ago. Seems to have done the trick, so I put it back up the other day. I replaced the battery first time, but it did it again, so I have a battery somewhere that's only a few months old*.

All my alarms have batteries less than a year old. I think I'll leave them now, as replacing them early is expensive and wasteful.

Went through my pile of batteries for chucking. Most were past expiry date. Three seem to be much newer. Two are just marked 2022 on the end, so I assume that is manufacture date. One is definitely only a year old. I assume that's the one from my room*. I put those to one side for re-use.
The marking on your battery will be an expiration date. I’d still use it in a torch or something though. No point wasting them as you say. However,in alarms no. Mine get changed in the alarms regardless every six months. Clock change to clock change. I’d sooner spend on the batteries than die in a fire. Experiencing our dopey candle - loving neighbours setting fire to their adjoining house, those alarms were essential.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:46 am
Frnc wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:27 am

The marking on your battery will be an expiration date. I’d still use it in a torch or something though. No point wasting them as you say. However,in alarms no. Mine get changed in the alarms regardless every six months. Clock change to clock change. I’d sooner spend on the batteries than die in a fire. Experiencing our dopey candle - loving neighbours setting fire to their adjoining house, those alarms were essential.
I was thinking of the AA and AAA batteries I have - these are definitely marked with only the manufacture date. But in this instance, I reckon it is actually expiry, so I've moved them to the ones I need to take for recycling.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Continuing to increase food stocks, dried mixed veg packs and tins, freezers are both pretty full, can anyone recommend any suppliers of dried veg packs?

Now the nights are starting to draw in, looking at emergency lights, candles and torches etc.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Small bags of broth mix from home bargain. Pulses from https://www.somayaskitchen.co.uk/
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
lowlander

Post by lowlander »

DustyDog wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:07 pm can anyone recommend any suppliers of dried veg packs?
I use Buy Wholefoods Online, they have a decent selection, good service.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Buywholefoodsonline.co.uk are brilliant.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

A new Olight Arkfeld torch.

Can't have enough torches. :ugeek:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.