Multiple Problems converging = one massive catastrophe

How are you preparing
Longjohns

Re: Multiple Problems converging = one massive catastrophe

Post by Longjohns »

Northern Raider wrote:Last week it only took ONE vehicle that broke down in the snow right on across the slip road from the A19 onto the A66 to bring the whole area to a halt, it stopped the cross transfer of traffic from both roads and within a few minutes the tailbacks had blocked off 4 other junctions to other routes. then more vehicle got stuck or broke down and chaos ensued.
A prime example, I suppose, of just how easily road networks can become unuseable.
scotspreps

Post by scotspreps »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:Glad to hear you got home ok. Have you any specific winter modifications on your Pajero or is it just generally good in those conditions ? CC
It's good. It's a heavy beast and with the usual emergency gear plus the winter kit including a big bag of salt/grit there is also a fair amount of extra weight onboard. The kit includes chains for all 4 wheels though I didn't use them on this occassion. I thought about it when I went into the trees around the reserve but I know both the ground and the Pajero's capabilities and didn't think I'd need them there. Possibly over-confidence but it proved sound enough. I have 2 winter tyres on wheels and plan to get the other 2 when I can afford it but conditions will have to get worse than this before I fit them. The last set lasted for about 7K miles but they weren't cheap, over £100 per tyre. There is a supplementary battery fitted in the engine compartment but that is the extent of the extras.
AKM.

Post by AKM. »

On the op of Multiple Problems Converging = one Massive Catastrophe;- Roberto Vacca wrote a book in about 1970 called "The Coming Dark Age" where he expounded his theories of complex systems leading to a collapse.
Frightening stuff for being written back then. One of the first non fiction End of the World books I read; made me go :o
Worth a read if you can find it.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Just reading the first post in this thread and isnt it scarey how the various threads all seem to be coming together for the catastrophe . It might not be imminent but its certainly a lot closer than it was!
Damkina

Post by Damkina »

It'll look a hell of a lot closer if the tanker drivers go on strike at the same time as we might start having power cuts... Just as all the students converge on London for more protests... And the Pole continues to shift at the same time as birds and fish continue to die around us and different countries around the world flood.
allan

Post by allan »

AKM. wrote:On the op of Multiple Problems Converging = one Massive Catastrophe;- Roberto Vacca wrote a book in about 1970 called "The Coming Dark Age" where he expounded his theories of complex systems leading to a collapse.
Frightening stuff for being written back then. One of the first non fiction End of the World books I read; made me go :o
you can down load it for free there-
http://www.printandread.com/download/co ... gefree.pdf
janso

Post by janso »

allan wrote:
AKM. wrote:On the op of Multiple Problems Converging = one Massive Catastrophe;- Roberto Vacca wrote a book in about 1970 called "The Coming Dark Age" where he expounded his theories of complex systems leading to a collapse.
you can down load it for free there-
http://www.printandread.com/download/co ... gefree.pdf
Thanks for the link Allan..... I've started to read it, but it deserves more undivided attention, preferably after the mrs and kids are in bed!! From the outset thou, quite intriguing and dare I say, truthful and apt for today?