Growing food

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Blackthorn

Re: Growing food

Post by Blackthorn »

Pea's grow better in the ground than in pots.
Potatoes grow better in the ground than the no dig method in tyres. Borage helps spuds grow.
Tomatoes hate me.
Tomatoes love DW.
Carrots are hardly worth the bother.
Birds are good for the garden, no idea what was going on at the time we had hoards of lil birds in and out of everything, barely touched the plants can only surmise they kept the slags/snail/insects down.
StephenLee

Post by StephenLee »

When growing leeks I always put a cardboard empty toilet rolls centre over the plant when it is 12'' high and about 1'' wide at the base. This means that I don't need to earth up to get the white bottom. This has worked a treat for the last 5 years or so.
However, I am a notoriously forgetful gardener with an almost pathological inability to label anything. So, in May just gone, I popped the tubes over the leeks as normal. I remember thinking that they had not thrived as I would have wished and that they were slightly weedy.
This thought reoccured each time I walked past, obviously not a good year for leeks.
This afternoon I decided that enough was enough and that they were destined for the compost heap as they were more like spring onions than leeks.
As I pulled the first one up, the reality became clear. It was garlic not leeks and they were the biggest bulbs that I have ever grown. They could easily pass for elephant garlic rather than the bog standard Tesco's variety. Some bulbs were getting towards tennis ball size.
I don't know if it is simply a good year for garlic or if the tubes helped at all but I will certainly try it next year.
All I need to do now is work out what happened to the leeks !!
Stephen
buttystella

Post by buttystella »

found out the brambles on my allotment have many uses----- British: brambles). This is a plant that has many properties. For instance, the leaves can be used as an antiseptic for inflammations of the mouth and pharynx. The dried leaves of lightly haired kinds can be used as a medicinal against mild diarrhoea. I even heard a preparation can be used externally against milder cases of neurodermitis or other chronical inflammations of the skin. In any case, the berries taste great to boot and can be used to make jam, jelly or cordial, wine and liquor. The plant might even hint to the Kenning of Muin, an Ogham letter, as a substitution for red wine grapes in ancient time