Lidl now selling insect burgers

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
grenfell

Re: Lidl now selling insect burgers

Post by grenfell »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:30 am With me it's the thought of eating innards and eyes and all the intestinal contents with nowt taken out.
I couldn't eat whitebait for the same reason. I once had surf and turf and realising I'd eaten a shellfishes eye with my peas put me right off. :mrgreen:

For me, flesh is edible. Jiggly bits, you can keep. Anything borderline, Don't show me: Don't tell me.

I do like chicken liver pate and blue cheese, so go figure.
I don't mind things like whitebait . I took sprats to work once to cook up and there were a few turned up noses. Same as when I took in a trotter so you're not alone. I don't mind offal although I won't eat tripe again as I found the texture disagreeable. I like pate too but find that many don't . Blue cheese I eat but always wonder how you actually know it's gone off or not fit to eat as it's already mouldy :?:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

grenfell wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:33 pm Blue cheese I eat but always wonder how you actually know it's gone off or not fit to eat as it's already mouldy :?:
With Stilton, you can tell when it's off because it goes a soft browny yellow colour in patches, a bit like a bruise. It's colour normally should be quite 'clean' and 'newly cut'

I still have the 30p lump of Stilton in my freezer :) and the 18p slab of yellow label pate :)
Each will need to be used at one sitting, I reckon, because once thawed, they will race to decay.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Ah soft browny yellow patches , thanks for that. Never seems to last long enough in our house for that...
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Are humans able to even extract calories from insects?
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

Ugh, disgusting! Soya and insect burger.

Who wants to eat soya?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Stonecarver wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:58 pm Are humans able to even extract calories from insects?
I think it's more their high protein content.
Calories can come from the gutter oil they are fried in. :mrgreen: :shock:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong