Asda Rationing to Three x

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Asda Rationing to Three x

Post by jansman »

For a while we used Asda home delivery. Until one day,instead of 5 to 6 pm delivery,it turned up a 9 pm! I asked the chap why he didn’t call,we do understand delays. All he said: “do you want it or not?” So I sent it back. When I tried to complain,Asda didn’t give a damn…
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:31 pm For a while we used Asda home delivery. Until one day,instead of 5 to 6 pm delivery,it turned up a 9 pm! I asked the chap why he didn’t call,we do understand delays. All he said: “do you want it or not?” So I sent it back. When I tried to complain,Asda didn’t give a damn…
That's the sort of thing I'd do :twisted: a simple apology "sorry mate I've been snowed under I've been that busy I've not had chance to ring ahead "

Would have resulted in just tipping the baskets out in the hall mate and you can get off ..

Heck the tyre man last week I called out to sort a puncture I carried the wheel to his van as he pulled up he was good enough vto come at short notice at to what most would see as home time (5pm) I had the wheel off ready for him to work his magic.... And once I paid him told him to get off home to his wife and kids i refitted it myself . You know you can get him to come back at a moment's notice if you look after them ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Rationing is a way of artificially controlling supply and demand. Without it the price of things in demand tends to rise until the demand drops to match the supply and the item becomes a luxury.

ASDA tried to scrap their Essentials ranges in many stores a few months ago but were slated by Jack Monroe and other consumer champions. I would guess that they can't produce the amount wanted at a price anyone wants to pay so they are losing money.

Rather than incurring the wrath of the press again by raising prices they are instuting rationing.
WW2 rationing was sold to the public as being "fair" but a lot of the reasoning was that there was no rationing on most of WW1. Prices rose sharply and the poor were unable to afford adequate food. A couple of years into the ar and many conscripts were too malnourished to be usable as soldiers.

The UK has rationing as a solution in our national psyche and now the experience of lockdown. The supermarkets know they can implement limits whenever they like. This suits the Government who don't get the blame. I suspect HMG would only implement rationing nationally if the alternative was a civil war.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:51 am Rationing is a way of artificially controlling supply and demand. Without it the price of things in demand tends to rise until the demand drops to match the supply and the item becomes a luxury.

ASDA tried to scrap their Essentials ranges in many stores a few months ago but were slated by Jack Monroe and other consumer champions. I would guess that they can't produce the amount wanted at a price anyone wants to pay so they are losing money.

Rather than incurring the wrath of the press again by raising prices they are instuting rationing.
Supply and demand usually wins eventually.
As I read it, Asda cannot meet the demand on their Essentials range, profitably! It's almost a loss-leader range. If they are losing money on that range, and they may well be, then it makes sense to just limit availability. They still get to boast that their prices are low, but sort of artificially. It's a bit bogus, but they are just trying to stay in business in this high inflation environment..
It is a sign of things to come, though. Stock up while we can, because prices and margins are under intense pressure.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Stick with lidle even during lockdown I could buy any amount I wanted .
Fill er up jacko...
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Well i foudn a great guy on the bay that he buys up wholesale and i am getting great deals from him and he said if he makes a little on items he is happy we use lots of coffee here and other stuff and wow he is doing great deals i did put up a link about his hand gels but omg , and the stores well i do understand why they ration stuff when it first started we had large stocks of stuff but wife wanted some fresh stuff and some medical stuff so we went to sainsburys , one guy had a 4 x 4 jeep packed to the front and back window with toilet rolls the trolly guy we talk to asked him why so much he said watch me i go to the bootsale at the weekend and make a killing .

I hope we all stay safe and well this winter and my wife and i always over stock and if push come to shove will always help someone out with a meal if we can or packs pf water , come on people lets all as they said in the war days dig deep and help each other , i know i am to young for the war but people tell my wife and i that we have been born 30 years to late lol
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

We have one of those wholesale pile it high sell it cheap places not far from us. They call themselves Bag a Bargain and operate out of a couple of industrial units. There's a fair bit of end of line and short or past best before dates and of course you can't go with a shopping list as such as the stock varies from week to week. They do , however , have a facebook page to tell us what they have in. They do seem to have a lot of what would be called junk food , sweets , crisps and pop but there are also more staple foods , cleaning products and so on too. Sometimes there has been clothing and they have recently got their alcohol licence. My wife seems to love the place .
With regards to actual rationing my general feeling is that on the whole it is a good thing. This government has made a deal of "levelling up" and we even have a minister for that now but what better way than if we were all allocated an equal share? Of course there would be a black market but on the whole it would be positive. If say sugar and fat was rationed we probably wouldn't have an obesity crisis and there would be less pressure on the nhs as the health of the population would be better. Same goes with energy , petrol ration , less miles driven , less pollution , less congestion win win. Probably polititical suicide for a party to bring it in without cross party support though so I doubt we'll see anything more than token gestures.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Asda are useless. Substitute half my order usually, and often with completely unhelpful things (I needed chickpeas, got baked beans).
I use a local wholesale supplier who will let any kind of business set up an account, so I can buy bulk through work. If its already looking this dire I might go stock up another months worth of supplies!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

JWR wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:33 pm Asda are useless. Substitute half my order usually, and often with completely unhelpful things (I needed chickpeas, got baked beans).
I use a local wholesale supplier who will let any kind of business set up an account, so I can buy bulk through work. If its already looking this dire I might go stock up another months worth of supplies!
towards checkout, 'view items', uncheck 'allow substitutes'

Don't allow substitutes for KY Jelly :lol:
https://www.reddit.com/r/tesco/comments ... ubstitute/
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Moorland Prepper

Post by Moorland Prepper »

jansman wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:31 pm For a while we used Asda home delivery. Until one day,instead of 5 to 6 pm delivery,it turned up a 9 pm! I asked the chap why he didn’t call,we do understand delays. All he said: “do you want it or not?” So I sent it back. When I tried to complain,Asda didn’t give a damn…
We used Asda and didn't find them too good. There was an article on TV that showed the trays that they delivered bags in were dirty and covered in old food.

Moved to Morrisons and have been very happy with them for a number of years