Garden activity

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
British Red

Re: Garden activity

Post by British Red »

Seem to be missing some attachments / pictures ?
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Sorry about that, Red, lets try again.

My ginormous rhubarb plant. There's another one to the left, but it's practically invisible, it keeps bolting.
The attachment 2022 March rhubarb.jpg is no longer available
Oh drat! Okay, one pic per post it is ...
Attachments
2022 March rhubarb.jpg
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I held up the front leaf with one hand, put the phone on a 5 second delay, and this is what's underneath. You can't really tell how much everything crosses over everything else, but it does.
2022 March inside the rhubarb.jpg
British Red

Post by British Red »

If it was me, I'd dig out Mr bolty mcRhubarb when it's dormant. If it interests you, the dried, powdered root is a natural laxative.

Then lift and divide the good one ( divide is fancy speak for chop up with a spade). Plant half where the rubbish one was and the rest back in the original hole. Bury in rotted manure, compost or any other organic matter.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hi Red, I definitely think you're right about saying goodbye to Mr Bolty McRhubarb, but on the evidence of this weekend, I won't try to divide the good'un. I had a sealant gun all fixed up today, ready to hide a little gap between skirting board and wall, and I wasn't able to pull the trigger :( I *will* ask my ham-radio-listening, wood-chopping neighbour to do it though, thanks for that.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Nothing wrong with relying on neighbours & friends. One of ours is a fabulous machinist. He does us favours
British Red

Post by British Red »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:17 pm I had a sealant gun all fixed up today, ready to hide a little gap between skirting board and wall, and I wasn't able to pull the trigger :( I .
By the way, have you ever seen these? Cordless, electric, powered caulking gun.

https://www.dewalt.co.uk/products/dce58 ... -bare-unit

We've standardised on DeWalt XR cordless tools same batteries for hedge cutter, drills, driver, angle grinder, reciprocating saw, brush cutter etc. All brilliant quality.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That De Walt is very interesting! I've never bought many power tools (even my drill is from my dad, he gave it to me in the 1980s) I've always had the misconception that anything I bought in the preparedness stakes should be a hand tool - but that really *is* a misconception. Buying the electric version would enable me to carry on doing that job myself, rather than getting a bloke in.

Looking at electric tools can be the next project - I need to restock the bookcase, clean and tidy away ready for the glazers coming in on Friday, see to the new version of my window coverings, and get back to pruning in the garden. I always feel some urgency when bad things are happening in the world, but this is the first time that that urgency is being mirrored in the ordinary news websites.

The neighbour is lovely - we co-operate in small ways, and he was very touched when his other neighbour and I both came calling on him after seeing all his car doors open and unattended - he was fine, and he'd done it on purpose, it just reinforces connection between well-meaning local people. All good stuff.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Absolutely, good neighbours are invaluable! We are so lucky with ours.

These modern power tools use rechargeable batteries that can be recharged from a car battery, so with a bit of thinking about solar etc. VERY sustainable off grid. Some are scary in a way. I had a completely seized padlock. The DeWalt battery grinder went through in about three seconds :o I have manual alternatives but, like a chainsaw, they make self reliance more possible. Why make life hard?
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

absolutely nothing at the moment,due to what has gone on in my life but hoping to be out in the garden soon,its my job and passion and being stuck under the wife's feet is taking it's toil on her now lol
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...