Winter Blackouts

How are you preparing
grenfell

Re: Winter Blackouts

Post by grenfell »

Assuming the blackout isn't just limited to your own house then I'd say keep an amount of cash for when the ATM's aren't working and a full petrol tank for when the stations pumps won't work.
Lemony

Post by Lemony »

^^ I wouldn't have thought of either of those, thank you :)
Lemony

Post by Lemony »

...and in fact my plans for warmth were also rather pathetic. I'd vaguely thought of our open fire, but we've not stocked up on wood for that yet. I've also got lots of hot water bottles, but not a particularly convenient way of filling them without using the kettle...
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote:Assuming the blackout isn't just limited to your own house then I'd say keep an amount of cash for when the ATM's aren't working and a full petrol tank for when the stations pumps won't work.
Good points there.
Having lived through a 1 week blackout in 1990 ( ice storm, total nightmare) I would store water. When the power goes, so do the pumps. Ask me how I know? Since then we have always stored water/purification tablets/ and batteries. I guess thatvis when we became preppers.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yes water and for that matter food too. Sometimes one forgets to mention the obvious , almost as if it's taken for granted that anyone on the forum already have a full pantry and stocks of water :oops:
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

grenfell wrote:Yes water and for that matter food too. Sometimes one forgets to mention the obvious , almost as if it's taken for granted that anyone on the forum already have a full pantry and stocks of water :oops:
Food that's easy to cook too. If you are cooking on a gas stove then a one pan or two pan meal is the easiest. So a few tins of stuff that need warming up is good or stuff you add hot water to like couscous.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

If you're planning on burning anything indoors (paraffin, alcohol, LPG, candles etc) don't forget a CO detector..... I know I keep harping on about them but what else costs less then 20 quid and can save your family's lives for the next seven to ten years ?

Around here if we loose power we're very likely to loose water too, to the point that on stormy nights I fill the kettle before I go to bed (no tea in the morning makes for a grumpy Crow)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
hobo

Post by hobo »

Good point FC!

Remember to use camping stoves in a well ventilated space.....

We've written out plans for several scenarios. You might consider writing out a blackout plan...
Fozzie

Post by Fozzie »

Don't forget, with no power, the supermarkets wont be able to function, nor will any merchant that uses credit/debit cards etc

I'm not a huge fan of candles due to their fire risk, I'm a fan of LED lighting, be it torches or lanterns. (I have 3 LED Maglites with enough batteries for 4 changes of each torch)

To keep warm, blankets/duvets are good but on particularly cold nights, if you have a method of heating water - hot water bottles can be a simple method to raise the temperature.
Stopping draughts and lining glass panes with clingfilm can be a good way to combat heat loss too.

When you do heat water, store any surplus water in a thermos..........it's easier to re-boil already warm water vs starting from cold water.

Hand warmers in gloves and socks is a nice way to keep warm too (Learnt this at -25c in Maine, USA one winter)

If it gets horrifically cold, sleeping in a tent indoors is very effective method to sleep warm

Just my thoughts

What's everyone's preferred methods of heating water with no electricity?
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Remember you don't need to wrap yourself up in a blanket to benefit from it, we've recently bought new throws for the sofa's it's 05:10 (no heating on) I'm sat here in shorts and T-shirt quite cosy.

I've not looked at the £1 shop lighting might check them out, solar powered garden lights should hold enough of a charge you're not bumbling around in the dark they will also save money batteries.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.