Plastic paint tubs

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
grenfell

Plastic paint tubs

Post by grenfell »

I read quite a lot about the food grade plastic tubs used for storage but I do use a few plastic paint tubs but wonder if there is a potential problem.
Things like paint and tile adhesive come in 10 , 15 and 20 litre tubs and wash out very easily and to my mind magnolia emulsion isn't the sort of thing looters would be going for so it makes these tubs ideal. I tend to favour the "greyman" approach and this sort of camoflage in full view could very well go unnoticed especially if there are also other building related products close by, a pile of bricks for instance.
Now while I don't put food directly into these tubs , always packets and tins and the like am I acting safely and just what is the difference between paint tubs and food grade tubs?
Maddosammo

Plastic paint tubs

Post by Maddosammo »

If you put food like grains/pulses/ feeeze dried etc straight into the tubs I would say that it would probably cause some problems. But Tins are self contained and should be alright. The only thing I could see that would be a problem is that some pouch type packets could potentially over time transfer the odour/ trace chemicals of previously stored contents into the packets when stored in an airtight container.

Hope this helps. And I am by no means an expert on the topic there are definitely people on here that are far more qualified to answer your question.

Sam

Sent using Tapatalk
Sam

Area 9
Maddosammo

Plastic paint tubs

Post by Maddosammo »

If you put food like grains/pulses/ feeeze dried etc straight into the tubs I would say that it would probably cause some problems. But Tins are self contained and should be alright. The only thing I could see that would be a problem is that some pouch type packets could potentially over time transfer the odour/ trace chemicals of previously stored contents into the packets when stored in an airtight container.

Hope this helps. And I am by no means an expert on the topic there are definitely people on here that are far more qualified to answer your question.

Sam

Sent using Tapatalk
Sam

Area 9
andy prepper

Re: Plastic paint tubs

Post by andy prepper »

I would also say that tins should be OK in the tub's, but anything is plastic package I would not risk directly inside the tub maybe place inside a small food container first then place that inside the tub. Good thinking about using the paint tubs it never occurred to me to hide food like that.
grenfell

Re: Plastic paint tubs

Post by grenfell »

Thanks, either there's not a lot out there or my searching leaves a bit to be desired but I was having trouble finding answers on the 'net. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the make up of the plastic that could cause leaching or other problems.
I have used in the past larger tubs that were made to hold lime putty( a product used in old building restoration) although not for food. I have noticed that the plastic becomes brittle if left outside although admitidly this has been over the course of 5-10 years which probably isn't that relevant but perhaps worth noting. I think it's probably the UV light that degrades the plastic.