What Preps are you doing this week

How are you preparing
dazz675

Re: What Preps are you doing this week

Post by dazz675 »

bought a 56 litre plastic box from wilkies, collected about 40 empty diet coke bottles, bought firelighter and ronson oil to go with it, checked on my store of batteries, never realised they had expiry dates, will thy not work after this? bought some candles, need another storage box , initial one water only. Been off internet a week, thankfully bt fixed today, get more matches today and paracetomol, ......watched megathrust on nat geo channel , a richter 9 on american east coast .... cascadia fault is it? is geologically iminent ... i.e from now to a 1000 years....phew :?
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Stocked up on handcream :oops: :oops: :oops: its from the 99p shop and I like it :oops: :oops: :oops: but at the same time bought a couple of pairs of cheap swim goggles - Ian was saying on the respirator thread that a mask that can fold down is fine, but a hanky over the nose and maybe some cheap swimming goggles will give you enough time to get the dickens away from the problem. So I had a look, and for 99p, you can't *really* go wrong. Will be stashed in my EDC bag.
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

10kg of lentils later..... (all stashed in a pannetone tin scrounged from a work colleague)
Last edited by Ferricks on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I bought some tinned burgers from Farmfoods today, been meaning to for a while, and I reckon tinned meat at the moment if you can find it cheap is an investment as much as a prep, it is probably that many of us preppers have made more in terms of increased value of our goods, than many could have made on the stock market, and an unrefutable fact that our food stocks will have gained more value than any money in the bank would have over the last few years ;)

...And they think we're nuts :mrgreen:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
unsure

Post by unsure »

just got back from asda ,
1 litre kilner storage jars a pound each , i got the last 5 off the shelf .there may be more next week they told me .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I did some picled eggs in those bloody things... they leak... arse :evil:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
unsure

Post by unsure »

my dad did some beetroot and red cabbage in them and they seem fine , if they leak then its the dryfood storage route for them either way they`ll get used for some thing .

edit , these are the ones with the wire clamp not the screw on tops
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Yep that's the ones though it was the smaller ones which leaked on me, I have some big ones but I used them for dry stuff, the smaler ones are ideal for putting left over Hoi sin sauce from tins in and simular stuff, problem came filling right up with vinegar, I did wonder whether I could fix it by tweeking the wire with some pliers to make it a little tighter.
Ferricks

Post by Ferricks »

Kilner's are designed for processing - they will seal when you create a vaccuum through hot water or steam baths, or if making hot pickles / jam / chutneys wih a quick inversion (wearing big gloves and being sensibly careful!).
jansman

Post by jansman »

This afternoon moved a massive load of firewood in. Got it from a builder friend. He charges for removal, I get it for nothing. Brilliant.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.