preserving eggs

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
wolfpup

preserving eggs

Post by wolfpup »

I know about waterglass etc for preserving eggs long term - but wanted to try something simpler.

On the 14th March I put a load of eggs (laid the day before and unwashed) pointy end down in buckets of salt (nothing else) and left in my office (read back bedroom) - have been using one or two each week since. It is now 15 weeks and I have yet to find a bad egg. In fact I had three of them fried up for breakfast. :P The whites are runnier than fresh eggs - however I have had whites just as runny from the supermarket - so it got me thinking .......... just how old are some of the eggs we buy as 'fresh' ?

I also have some that have been coated in vaseline and then put into salt - have not tried these yet want to wait at least another month.

If we are given any warning of 'sitX' - then whilst others are fighting each other at the supermarket trying to get something to eat to last them for a few days - I will be making one last phone call to my local egg farm for a very large order of eggs (and feeling content that I prepped beforehand on food/water/lighting/heating etc).

This little experiment has made me realize however not to take any notice of 'date stamps' Use your nose instead - like our parents did
Justin Time

Re: preserving eggs

Post by Justin Time »

which begs the question. What makes an egg go bad..oxygen through the shell?
Moony

Post by Moony »

Moisture evaporates through the shell and is replaced by air. The longer you leave it the more air gets in and the longer the contents have been in contact with air which is what makes them go off.

Freezing: Freeze only raw eggs with shells removed.Break whole eggs into a bowl. Stir just enough to blend yolks with whites. Press the eggs through a seive. Unless yolks and whites are thouroughly mixed, add 1/2 teaspoon salt (for maindish) or 1/2 teaspoon honey, corn syrup or sugar (for a dessert) to each cup of eggs. Freeze in a container. Last 1 Year +

Also note and egg ages more in 1 day at room temp than it does for 1 week in the fridge, so get them cool as soon as poss.
I'm in Area 7 !
wolfpup

Post by wolfpup »

I really don't see how an egg can age so quickly in one day at room temperature - having been kept at room temp for the last 15 weeks, unless you are talking about once they are out of their shells.

Years ago before refrigeration, eggs were regularly kept up to a couple of months (I grew up on a small chicken farm in the 50's) as in the winter hens do not tend to lay as much (ours didn't) so we always had a stock, used the older ones and put the new ones into store (pantry).

There has been debate over whether eggs should be kept at room temp or refrigerated for decades - both sides are adamant so really don't want to get into a discussion on that point though :roll:
edward.21

Post by edward.21 »

i saw on the doomsday preppers, on you tube, you can coat eggs in mineral oil (baby oil, i think) and they would last upwards of a year.
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

I also saw that on the doomsday prepper programme - can't remember what oil it was - will watch it again to find out
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

just went back to re-watch the doomsday preppers show and it is mineral oil that she uses to coat the eggs.

I also came across this link which tells you abit more detail about it:

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2012/03/0 ... long-term/
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Yes I saw that too, beats the hell out of de-hydrated egg, for almost a year anyway in terms of taste.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Juvecu

Post by Juvecu »

I read a good article on egg preserving a while back, can't find it now. They tested several "popular" methods like keeping them in lard, fridge storage, outside storage, various other weird ones. In the end it was fairly clear that fridge storing them was the best option and, surprisingly, storing them outside in a cool place without any fancy tricks was the next best thing. The main thing to remember is NOT to wash them or wipe them or anything like that. When the egg is laid it has a protective layer and that it what keeps it fresher than anything else. IIRC outside storage when you didn't wash or clean them made them last about 6 months if you made sure they were in a cool place. I doubt anyone would need to store eggs longer than that post SHTF.
The Ace of Spades

Post by The Ace of Spades »

You learn something new every day! I usually just keep my eggs in the fridge, and I've used them at least a few weeks after the date has passed on several occasions, never had a bad one amongst them. I'm gonna have to try a few ideas from the selection posted here, though. Thanks, Guys & Girls!

Ace. :)
The future belongs to those who prepare.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

Praemonitus Praemunitus