Value Range foods compared

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ForgeCorvus

Re: Value Range foods compared

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Stagg is our go to tinned chilli..... Well, my go to as Herself doesn't do even that level of spice.
They do (or at least did) a range ( I've not had the 'Dynamite hot', but the Classic and the TexMex are as spicey as I go for..... You might find them a bit wimpy though) and they're all good.
The shaped meat gives a nice texture and a bit of bite.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Article in the Guardian yesterday about UK agriculture struggling due to wet weather, also other countries in Europe, and drought in Morocco, all meaning food prices are likely to go up. As if they haven't gone up enough already.

Cauliflowers have gone up in price, and have been smaller recently. Remember, half the diameter of a sphere is 1/8 volume! For pizzas, half the diameter is 1/4 of the size. I might start weighing them, the cauliflowers, not the pizzas.

Trying to decide whether to go over to Aldi coffee. It's not bad, lot cheaper than Azera or L'OR. LOR is nice, but I wouldn't dream of buying it unless it was £3 off, which it was recently. Even then it's not cheap. I only buy Azera when it's on offer as well.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Aldi breaded fish, 4, 500g, £2.50. Gone up in price a bit, but still great value.

Compared to Quorn Escalopes on offer at Sains, 38p cheaper, but only 230g.

Remember, a cauliflower double the diameter is 8 times bigger!

A pizza double the diameter is 4 times bigger.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:37 am Aldi breaded fish, 4, 500g, £2.50. Gone up in price a bit, but still great value.

Compared to Quorn Escalopes on offer at Sains, 38p cheaper, but only 230g.

Remember, a cauliflower double the diameter is 8 times bigger!

A pizza double the diameter is 4 times bigger.
Agreed. The ALDI fish offerings are good value. Just be a bit conscious of small fish rattling around in big boxes. IIRC, they are pollack, but nice enough.

I use the handy bit of the shelf price label that lists price per Kilo or per 100g. >£10 per Kilo, it better be something nice, to justify it's space in my basket.

12" Pizza = 144% of 10" Pizza
10" Pizza = 68% of 12" Pizza

Pizzas in a box with a see through bit have the toppings concentrated at the #window' and can be almost bare where they don't show.

Shout out for Iceland's 10 for £10 deal, but be aware that they feature any half empty BirdsEye boxes. Their pricing can be sneaky with what look like steep discounts when buying 2x, 3x, 10x etc. Who pays the full individual prices?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:13 pm Agreed. The ALDI fish offerings are good value. Just be a bit conscious of small fish rattling around in big boxes. IIRC, they are pollack, but nice enough.
They taste fine
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:13 pm I use the handy bit of the shelf price label that lists price per Kilo or per 100g. >£10 per Kilo, it better be something nice, to justify it's space in my basket.
Yep. £5 is better. I suppose it also depends on energy density, nutrition, whether it's dehydrated etc. Eg anything dehydrated, you get a fairer comparison if you use the hydrated weight.
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:13 pmb
12" Pizza = 144% of 10" Pizza
10" Pizza = 68% of 12" Pizza
Exactly. Huge difference from what might seem a small difference. 10" is still too much for me, I eat 2/3 or 3/4 and save the rest.
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:13 pmb
Pizzas in a box with a see through bit have the toppings concentrated at the #window' and can be almost bare where they don't show.
Wow, I've never noticed, gonna see if I can spot that. I think most of the ones I get don't have a window. Except when I go to a gig with my mate and I get the fresh ones for speed.
Last edited by Frnc on Sat May 25, 2024 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

duplicate sorry
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:30 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:13 pm I use the handy bit of the shelf price label that lists price per Kilo or per 100g. >£10 per Kilo, it better be something nice, to justify it's space in my basket.
Yep. £5 is better. I suppose it also depends on energy density, nutrition, whether it's dehydrated etc. Eg anything dehydrated, you get a fairer comparison if you use the hydrated weight.
Indeed. Chicken and Pork should be nearer to £4.50/kg and Beef down to £7.50. Rice, Pasta, Dried Mash or pulses, I look at £ per 1000calories or per portion and then just a few pennies/Portion
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:13 pm Pizzas in a box with a see through bit have the toppings concentrated at the #window' and can be almost bare where they don't show.
Frnc wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:30 pm Wow, I've never noticed, gonna see if I can spot that. I think most of the ones I get don't have a window. Except when I go to a gig with my mate and I get the fresh ones for speed.
Morrisons are a beggar for that. See a lot of it on pepperoni pizza where there's always peperoni showing in the window, but big naked areas hidden.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:29 am Just a quick comparison of tinned Minced Beef and Onion, bought for the extended pantry. Nominally 400g cans...
First, comparing key ingredients surprised me...
Oh hum. What about nutrition per 100g
CaloriesProteinFatSalt
Princes102kCal7.9g6.0g0.79g
Bramwells124kCal14.6g5.3g0.66g
Tesco153kCal13.6g8.9g0.61g
Add in Newgate from Lidl
CaloriesProteinFatSalt
Newgate124kCal14.6g5.3g0.66g
Almost identical to the Aldi Bramwells product. Not as noticeably gritty. Did have a noticeable solid fat layer. Perfectly fine with an added Oxo.
JennyJJ wrote: For nutritional value for money, the Bramwells was miles ahead of Princes. Also 20% cheaper....

Bramwells wins overall because it combines High nutrition with low price BUT, I'll be augmenting it with dried onions and maybe a stock cube.
I need to check out Lidl's offering.
With Newgate and Bramwells Neck and Neck, except on the day, Newgate was less gritty, I'll let price decide. Asda still have the two for £3.50 offer on Princes.
This chap on youtube reviews the Lidl Product favourably. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=newgate+mince ... 5Qcb2FjXyw