Waste Management

How are you preparing
PreppingPingu

Re: Waste Management

Post by PreppingPingu »

I suppose the only silver lining is that, making a bit of an assumption here, I assume that those sort of folk won't have oodles of food etc stored, so in a grid down, shops closed scenario, if they cannot buy stuff to replace what they have, then they won't be generating quite as much rubbish once they worked through what they have? However, for just a long term refuge collection issue that won't apply.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
piglet

Post by piglet »

Arzosah wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:01 am Great topic! One thing I'm concerned with is fabric - I wear my clothes till they've got holes in, literally, or until the zip breaks (a much loved fleece finally did this over the winter). They're no good to take to the charity shop
Welcome to the Raggedy Ann club : )
ain't settlin'
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

piglet wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:52 am
Arzosah wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:01 am Great topic! One thing I'm concerned with is fabric - I wear my clothes till they've got holes in, literally, or until the zip breaks (a much loved fleece finally did this over the winter). They're no good to take to the charity shop
I missed the comment about the broken zip. I replaced the zip in my fleece to keep it going longer as none of the others had decent pockets. I guess I am also a member of the Raggedy Ann club.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

piglet wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:52 am
GillyBee wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:37 amI missed the comment about the broken zip. I replaced the zip in my fleece to keep it going longer as none of the others had decent pockets. I guess I am also a member of the Raggedy Ann club.
Very nice. Replacing a zip is beyond me at the moment - I still haven't learned how to use the sewing machine I inherited, and I can't do it by hand.

As far as more general waste is concerned - can't remember if I've said it, but I'm currently leaving teabags for a day or so and then emptying them out, scattering the used tea leaves on the soil. I obviously use too much tea :oops: because that's a lot less waste for the general rubbish bin. You can't do it too much, it's not good for the soil - but I might carry on doing it and put it in the green recycling? Does anyone know if it's a problem? Not the whole thing, obviously, I take the tea out of the bag.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Arzosah: Our local council collect food waste that includes tea bags.

I suppose we should deal with this issue as they did early last century.
Re-use what can be re-used.
Clean and recycle (or store until it can be recycled) what we can.
Compost anything possible
Burn the rest and bury the ashes.

They're called 'Dustbins' because the only thing that really got thrown out was dust and ashes..... And the Victorian ones were about as big as a five gallon bucket
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:45 pm Arzosah: Our local council collect food waste that includes tea bags.
Nice one. I wish mine did.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Arzosah wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:00 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:45 pm Arzosah: Our local council collect food waste that includes tea bags.
Nice one. I wish mine did.
One of benefits of living in Norfolk :roll:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:45 pm Burn the rest and bury the ashes.
And even the end results of burning wasn't always just thrown out. Wood ash was used in the garden or as a component of lime ash floors , coal ash , at least in the midlands , was often used as a basis for paths.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arzosah wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:05 am As far as more general waste is concerned - can't remember if I've said it, but I'm currently leaving teabags for a day or so and then emptying them out, scattering the used tea leaves on the soil. I obviously use too much tea :oops: because that's a lot less waste for the general rubbish bin. You can't do it too much, it's not good for the soil - but I might carry on doing it and put it in the green recycling? Does anyone know if it's a problem? Not the whole thing, obviously, I take the tea out of the bag.
I do that myself , dry out the bags and empty them out and it all goes on the compost heaps. I think most teabags are now completely compostable with no plastic but I still do it out of habit even if it does attract jibes from friends about me drying out teabags...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

grenfell wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:51 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:45 pm Burn the rest and bury the ashes.
And even the end results of burning wasn't always just thrown out. Wood ash was used in the garden or as a component of lime ash floors , coal ash , at least in the midlands , was often used as a basis for paths.
1948 London Olympics, the cinders for the running track were from local domestic collections.

Whole livelyhoods have been based on finding someone to pay you for something that someone else has already paid you to take away.
In the words of Harry King "Ones mans muck is another mans brass.... Or rather my brass"