Uses for Flour.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
PPrep

Re: Uses for Flour.

Post by PPrep »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:40 pm
PPrep wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:40 pm
Thanks for the advice. A quick check with eBay gives 1Kg whole egg powder at between £24 and £35 and white only at about £37.
Regarding protein, my existing long - term source is tinned sardines (last for years); I don't eat meat. I need to figure out how I'm going to integrate dried eggs (and possibly pancake making) into my general food preps.
Follow the prepper doctrine of store what you eat and eat what you store. Integrate your prep diet with your regular diet to ensure familiarity and to aid stock rotation.

My own protien store is a mix of types of tinned fish and a load of dried chickpeas, beans and TVP augmented by tinned meat and assorted fish. Integrating them and powdered eggs into regular diet was a mission, especially getting my 'tasting panel' to eat my weird foods.

You get a lot of eggs-worth in a kilo of powder, so it's not stupidly expensive for what it is. Eggs often sourced from India and other places with dubious animal welfare and food safety laws. My supplier used to provide certification with the pack. You need to find a supplier to your local bakery, as they are the big users.
Agreed about the prepper doctrine of storing what I eat. This is what makes food storage challenging, along with the need to use and eat foods with a long shelf life. At least there's no "tasting panel"! I also use TVP, dried lentils and other pulses and beans. I find chickpeas take too long to cook, even after a pre - soak, but there are other pulses that are quicker. I don't have a local bakery or similar contact, so I'll have to pay top price. The £24/Kg dried egg powder is sourced from Holland, according to the listing. It comes in plain plastic bags, so it needs long term storage in jars or mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. 5 to 10 years is quoted online, so powdered eggs seem to be a really good prep. As far as I can find out, 1Kg egg powder makes about 6 dozen eggs.

I'll have a go at making chapattis over the next few days. I'll risk inviting disaster and try an ordinary stainless steel pan first. :D
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

PPrep wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:49 amAgreed about the prepper doctrine of storing what I eat. This is what makes food storage challenging, along with the need to use and eat foods with a long shelf life. At least there's no "tasting panel"! I also use TVP, dried lentils and other pulses and beans. I find chickpeas take too long to cook, even after a pre - soak, but there are other pulses that are quicker. I don't have a local bakery or similar contact, so I'll have to pay top price.
For bulk supplies of pulses, beans, nuts etc, check out Healthy Supplies https://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/ they were recommended to me years ago by an acquaintance I met on here, and they've never let me down.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am
PPrep wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:49 amAgreed about the prepper doctrine of storing what I eat. This is what makes food storage challenging, along with the need to use and eat foods with a long shelf life. At least there's no "tasting panel"! I also use TVP, dried lentils and other pulses and beans. I find chickpeas take too long to cook, even after a pre - soak, but there are other pulses that are quicker. I don't have a local bakery or similar contact, so I'll have to pay top price.
For bulk supplies of pulses, beans, nuts etc, check out Healthy Supplies https://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/ they were recommended to me years ago by an acquaintance I met on here, and they've never let me down.
Or...
https://hallans.co.uk/somayas-indian-grocery-store/
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yep, I've been to that store - it's a good one, with the online business attached, and the only reason its not my first recommendation is that naturally it focuses on the Indian subcontinent (and supplying every restaurant and hotel within ten miles of Gatwick Airport :mrgreen: ).
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Chappatis do not need a non-stick pan. On one memorable occasion we went camping with friends who were due to arrive later. They were surprised to be fed curry, rice and chappattis all cooked over an open fire by Mr Gillybee. The chapattis were cooked on an upside down wok.
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

PPrep wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:54 am
What I'm asking is for any ideas for using flour to make a bread - like substance or similar staple regularly without using an oven, and which can be produced on a camping stove using a bare minimum of ingredients. Also, something that's very easy to make as I'm no cook. This is for when there's no power.
Soda farl.
Ingredients
250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 heaped tsp bicarbonate of soda
225ml buttermilk

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/soda-farls

Can be cooked on a griddle and kept for days.
Nice when fresh with a thick spread of butter. Cut up the middle and toasted with butter and jam, or fried.

Potato farls are also a good, hearty alternative cooked the same way
PPrep

Post by PPrep »

Cocotte wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:25 pm
Soda farl.
Ingredients
250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 heaped tsp bicarbonate of soda
225ml buttermilk

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/soda-farls

Can be cooked on a griddle and kept for days.
Nice when fresh with a thick spread of butter. Cut up the middle and toasted with butter and jam, or fried.

Potato farls are also a good, hearty alternative cooked the same way
[/quote]

Thank you for the recipe; I'll give it a try. I only have ordinary stainless steel pans. I'll have to use UHT semi - skimmed milk, because this is the only milk I use; I have the rest of the ingredients.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

If using milk instead of buttermilk I would add some lemon juice. Buttermilk is acid which reacts with the bicarb to get the farl to rise. If using milkyou will need to add the acid seperately.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/homemade-buttermilk
PPrep

Post by PPrep »

GillyBee wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:38 pm If using milk instead of buttermilk I would add some lemon juice. Buttermilk is acid which reacts with the bicarb to get the farl to rise. If using milkyou will need to add the acid seperately.
I don't use lemon juice, but do have vinegar, so buttermilk can be made.

I'm very grateful to yourself and all who have been so generous in providing information. I've spent a lot of time on Youtube on topics such as the pros and cons of non - stick saucepans, how to use a plain stainless steel saucepan for cooking foods that stick, poaching eggs, and so on.

I'm not that keen on cooking, but I've become interested in all this and will try out the farl, chapatis (I love curries), revisit American style pancakes now I've learnt that egg is needed to bind the ingredients. I'm also looking into using egg powder to produce a "hard - boiled" egg by poaching, as I eat hard - boiled eggs regularly. This would be a very useful protein source in a prolonged food shortage. I'll try things out over time.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

PPrep wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:52 am
GillyBee wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:38 pm If using milk instead of buttermilk I would add some lemon juice. Buttermilk is acid which reacts with the bicarb to get the farl to rise. If using milkyou will need to add the acid seperately.
I don't use lemon juice, but do have vinegar, so buttermilk can be made.

I'm very grateful to yourself and all who have been so generous in providing information. I've spent a lot of time on Youtube on topics such as the pros and cons of non - stick saucepans, how to use a plain stainless steel saucepan for cooking foods that stick, poaching eggs, and so on.
Sticking my nose in to say thank you as well, I've been watching this. I'm a vegetarian with an intolerance towards milk and gluten, and I won't use nonstick - so my little ceramic frying pan will do well, using vinegar and gluten free flour. Sigh ... if that works, I might even look at using up some of my dried potato to make potato farls. Love 'em.