What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:01 pm That sounds like a nice wee break you had. Preps here are to make huge changes to my expectations I think. Today we went to Peebles, lovely wee town we've been going to for donkey's years for the good boutiquey-type shops, loads of cafes and nice walks down by the river. We lasted two hours. It was 16c so not hot. but we were knackered. He was staggering and limping and I was just dragging meself around wishing I could sit down. Think I need to drastically shrink my LIFE :evil:
Sorry to hear it was such a strain, especially at a spot that you love so much. "Changes to expectations" - yes, I'm afraid so. It was a bit of an endurance test, but we really wanted to see as much as we could - neither of us are likely to revisit Malta, so we wanted to pack it all in. I'm much kinder to myself when visiting attractions local to me here.

Malta was lovely. And we were knackered, absolutely - after 6 - 7 hours out, we usually bought stuff in a supermarket (they really catered to people like us) and ate in our hotel room, partly because of energy levels, partly because of the crowds (I'm still covid cautious, and it was like central London a lot of the time). But my sister and I both agreed we wouldn't do this sort of holiday again, figuring out public transport and opening times and juggling it all. When she goes away with her daughter, she hires a car, and it's much simpler. And I look after her daughter's cat, which is perfect 😻
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:00 amHow I understand! :( Age,health etc makes such a change to what used to a life of absolute freedom and strength! My personal illness doesn’t help,but when the lads came round for a brew we all talked about our ages and physical work we all agreed that it has knackered us! :lol: That’s the truth. Our changes and prepping is changing accordingly.
Yep! I'm very careful about how much gardening I do nowadays, and my sister is starting to be as careful, that's the first holiday we've had where she came up against her own limitations as well as mine.

"The lads coming round for a brew" is a great thing, jansman! Even though none of you/us have the freedom and strength that we used to. Still sharp, still capable, still going for it, as much as we can.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I'm wary about doing much in the garden. My back is easily put out. I did mow the lawn. I noticed next door's is long, not sure if he's just busy or deliberately letting it grow for the insects. I cut down all the weeds in my raised bed. My 5 security bushes are doing ok, despite limited light. They are under a massive ivy plant and a silver birch. Behind them is a low wall that backs onto a car park for a school, so it's a bit of a risk factor.

I did get a bit paranoid about being burgled. I think it was due to being here most of the time and lodgers working from home during Covid. However I went out for a bike ride the other day. Am thinking of getting CCTV. I do have an alarm. Back door has 2 mortice locks. Apparently most burglars favour the front door. This is mortice locked, assuming lodgers remember to do that. But a burglar could easily force their way in I expect.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Went for a fitness walk this morning, and used it to check on emergency evac route on foot towards my sister's house. Local conditions change continually - since I moved here 14 years ago (!) my town has increased from 25,000 to 40,000, and a lot of it is between sister and I, grrr. Found a nice cut-through of one of the housing estates that keeps me off the main road, which is a B, and has narrow pavements to boot.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

That's a good prep arzosah!
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Ordered something called a London Bar from Kickstop.co.uk. Seems legit, I did see a similar site with a different address. This bar screws to the door frame to beef it up. The London style has a bit to go round a Yale lock.

It is also recommended to put longer screws in the metal plates that the bolt goes into. Standard are very short.

Also you can get a plate to beef up the wood where a mortice lock is, as it is very thin. These go inside and out, with bolts in between. I might get one later.

Police website seemed a bit ambivolent about CCTV so I might not bother, but I'm getting a quote anyway.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:36 pm about CCTV so I might not bother, but I'm getting a quote anyway.
Do it yourself some of the battery powered rechargeable units last months between charges hold images on the devices internal memory and come with 12 months free subscription to a cloud not that you have to use it

Charge up

Screw up

Clip up on a magnetic mount or use the screw thread

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CNQ24PLN? ... _titleToDp
Screenshot_20240504-195906.png

Download the app and it connects via your routers WiFi
If you've got Alexa fire stick you can ask it to "Alexa show back yard" and view it live on your TV

At that price I've just ordered another....

It's a deterrent all you need to do is hide your face hence imo it's not worth spending a fortune
Screenshot_20240504-200318.png
Yes the tunnel needs a sweep and that pile of crap taking to the allotment :lol:
Frnc wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:36 pm Ordered something called a London Bar from Kickstop.co.uk. Seems legit, I did see a similar site with a different address. This bar screws to the door frame to beef it up. The London style has a bit to go round a Yale lock.
Remember it's only as strong as the frame it's screwed into a few extra frame fittings or concrete screws (my new favourite)

6mm hammer drill bit and these
https://www.diy.com/departments/timco-c ... 439_BQ.prd

If you remove the Yale "block" to replace the screws make sure you have a strip of plastic milk bottle about 60mm long by 20mm wide with a slit in the end to align the lock barrel link to the internal block
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Had some delightful basket break into the allotment shed or so they thought they chose to break into the chicken coup :? The other shed with the few tools I leave there has been untouched :? :? Not sure if the solar PIR light put them off that one .. Broke the cheap cast hasp the cheap padlock was undamaged .. so had to repair the shed the battery impact driver and circular saw made light work of the rough sawn plank new hasp/ staple fitted .

Secured the way I think they got in since the old allotment neighbour used to come (invited) to help himself to the fruit on the trees though a linking gate he sadly passed away last year it's been on the job to do list few big wood screws banged through the gate to the frame

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:00 pm
Frnc wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:36 pm about CCTV so I might not bother, but I'm getting a quote anyway.
Do it yourself some of the battery powered rechargeable units last months between charges hold images on the devices internal memory and come with 12 months free subscription to a cloud not that you have to use it

Charge up

Screw up

Clip up on a magnetic mount or use the screw thread

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CNQ24PLN? ... _titleToDp

Screenshot_20240504-195906.png

Download the app and it connects via your routers WiFi
If you've got Alexa fire stick you can ask it to "Alexa show back yard" and view it live on your TV

At that price I've just ordered another....

It's a deterrent all you need to do is hide your face hence imo it's not worth spending a fortune
Screenshot_20240504-200318.png

Yes the tunnel needs a sweep and that pile of crap taking to the allotment :lol:
Frnc wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:36 pm Ordered something called a London Bar from Kickstop.co.uk. Seems legit, I did see a similar site with a different address. This bar screws to the door frame to beef it up. The London style has a bit to go round a Yale lock.
Remember it's only as strong as the frame it's screwed into a few extra frame fittings or concrete screws (my new favourite)

6mm hammer drill bit and these
https://www.diy.com/departments/timco-c ... 439_BQ.prd

If you remove the Yale "block" to replace the screws make sure you have a strip of plastic milk bottle about 60mm long by 20mm wide with a slit in the end to align the lock barrel link to the internal block
Cheers. I'll see how much the quote is, it's arranged now and it's the person who fitted and looks after my alarm, so I don't want to cancel. Alarm still works after 23 years, never had a false alarm.

I need to fit the London Bar and the longer screws into the side plates on the frame. Then I think I need to get the DeadlockGuard. I got the impression the police think these and the London Bar are more effective than camera.

Police say you can put plastic spikes on a wall, so I could consider that at the back. Not sure how much of a deterrent they would be.

I need to think about the back door as the top half is glass. I could put bars accross it. I have some across my cellar window.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:37 am

Cheers. I'll see how much the quote is, it's arranged now and it's the person who fitted and looks after my alarm, so I don't want to cancel. Alarm still works after 23 years, never had a false alarm.

I need to fit the London Bar and the longer screws into the side plates on the frame. Then I think I need to get the DeadlockGuard. I got the impression the police think these and the London Bar are more effective than camera.

Police say you can put plastic spikes on a wall, so I could consider that at the back. Not sure how much of a deterrent they would be.

I need to think about the back door as the top half is glass. I could put bars accross it. I have some across my cellar window.
If the back door is a wooden door get laminated glass cut to replace the normal glass .

When you do the London bar don t forget the hinge side a set of old school hinge bolts are cheap and easy to install

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281687048423 ... R8bvxfvoYw

But there are cheaper sellers eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394529499325 ... NAXWW1SHDV

Or you can go all out and replace the hinges

https://www.doorhandlecompany.co.uk/zoo ... ing-23010/