What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by Frnc »

Did my tax return, had to pay a bit, but they owe me quite a lot more, from a small pension I cashed in, so will have to see about claiming that back.

Garden needs a bit of word doing soon.

Got 4 new windows coming week after next. All 4 have blinds fitted to them, so got to take them all off and re-fit to the new ones.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Question to the veg growers. I always worried that cats might do their business in my veg patch, which is a raised bed. So I covered it with a net on a frame. But that was a real pain. Is it likely, or rare? What are the consequences? I might try again, probably next year. I took the frame and net down, and it's full of weeds at the moment. I have seen some popup nets about a metre square. I could maybe perch one on top and just lift it off. The other problem was most seedlings vanished, probably due to slugs.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:18 am Question to the veg growers. I always worried that cats might do their business in my veg patch, which is a raised bed. So I covered it with a net on a frame. But that was a real pain. Is it likely, or rare? What are the consequences? I might try again, probably next year. I took the frame and net down, and it's full of weeds at the moment. I have seen some popup nets about a metre square. I could maybe perch one on top and just lift it off. The other problem was most seedlings vanished, probably due to slugs.
Cats will do it! End of. However,we have beds that are a mix of flowers and perennial veg,and when soil isn’t *fresh* the cats tend not to go near. As for slugs ,I still use pellets - yes the illegal stuff - but in very small amounts when plants are young. When they establish the slugs are not such an issue.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:04 pm
Frnc wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:18 am Question to the veg growers. I always worried that cats might do their business in my veg patch, which is a raised bed. So I covered it with a net on a frame. But that was a real pain. Is it likely, or rare? What are the consequences? I might try again, probably next year. I took the frame and net down, and it's full of weeds at the moment. I have seen some popup nets about a metre square. I could maybe perch one on top and just lift it off. The other problem was most seedlings vanished, probably due to slugs.
Cats will do it! End of. However,we have beds that are a mix of flowers and perennial veg,and when soil isn’t *fresh* the cats tend not to go near. As for slugs ,I still use pellets - yes the illegal stuff - but in very small amounts when plants are young. When they establish the slugs are not such an issue.
I could try a mix of flowers and perennials. I like that idea anyway, for other reasons. I just read an idea actually, to have a wall of chicken wire around it. That might work. It might even be possible to have it so it can lift off. Another idea was landscape cloth, ie weed suppressant cloth, cut holes to plant things. I should try growing the seedlings indoors so they are more slug resistant when they get bigger.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Serviced the wife's car at the weekend it's now got a judder :? I replaced the plugs guessing one of the ht leads didn't like being unplugged by the crack I got when I did the give them a wiggle ripping my hand to bits as I recoiled from. 50,000 volts ISH :roll: guess the insulation is breaking down

New leads will be here today ..

Ordered full set of plugs Incase there is a duff new plug it was £25 for plugs or £34 for a full service kit (all filters and new identical plugs) so I'll have a full service kit on the shelf for next year at least
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

frnc plant raised beds quite densely then keep them covered until the plants fill all the space. If cats can't see the compost then they don't tend to waste their time. That's what I have found anyway.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Don’t know where else to put this, but this is one of the daily questions from YouGov this morning.

Just a laugh, I pressed ‘fairly well’ as I like to think I’m better prepared than most but you never can tell what would happen.
Attachments
IMG_9152.png
IMG_9152.png (25.85 KiB) Viewed 167 times
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Kiwififer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:16 am Don’t know where else to put this, but this is one of the daily questions from YouGov this morning.

Just a laugh, I pressed ‘fairly well’ as I like to think I’m better prepared than most but you never can tell what would happen.
Bloody hell :lol: :shock:
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Made a generator purchase!

Jackery 500 Explorer and an 80 watt solar panel. Purchased from the Jackery UK Ebay store - 2 year warranty.

Got the full set up for £416.00 which I thought was a pretty sweet deal. :mrgreen:

Also ordered a load of compost which is being delivered Friday, so I can get a few veggies in.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm frnc plant raised beds quite densely then keep them covered until the plants fill all the space. If cats can't see the compost then they don't tend to waste their time. That's what I have found anyway.
Cheers, will bear that in mind