NRG-5 rations or freeze dried rations?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
ForgeCorvus

Re: NRG-5 rations or freeze dried rations?

Post by ForgeCorvus »

So, my NRG are going out of code soon....ish (like that matters) and I was stuck at work and hungry so I grabbed some pics and I can give you lot a reviewlet.

Inside the box you have a big foil package, two packs of tea extract (which I haven't tried yet) and four 1 ltr puritabs
Image100_0572 by forgecorvus

As you can see, they're got a long shelf life
Image100_0573 by forgecorvus

Inside the package (which has a 'tear here' nick.... Which didn't work very well) are four individually wrapped biscuits with a handy groove in the middle to break them in halfish
Image100_0574 by forgecorvus

As you can see, they're quite crumbly
Image100_0575 by forgecorvus

The flavour is somewhere between malted milk biscuits and Grannie's shortbead, not unpleasant but I probably wouldn't want to eat nothing but these things if there was an option.
Be warned, you will need the tea packs. World record Cracker-eaters probably train using these things.
They don't make you thirsty but they do turn to powder that dries your mouth up if (like me) you're an idiot who tries to eat a whole half in one mouthful.
Mixed with hot water you get a slightly malty readybrek like mixture.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
pseudonym

Re: NRG-5 rations or freeze dried rations?

Post by pseudonym »

Frnc wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:02 pm Why do you want 20 year shelf life? This only makes sense if you have 20 years food stashed. If you only stash enough for 2 months, you only need 2 months shelf life.

There is the fact that in a bug-in you would eat more cupboard food than normal after the first week. So it might take you a year to eat your stock when rotating. So a year or two shelf life is preferable for most stuff. But you get this on most cupboard food anyway.

I do have a few freeze dried meals and ration bars in my BOB/EGB, these have about 5-7 years shelf life. The freeze dried meals need boiled water.

Just found a British Army freeze dried spaghetti bolognese ration pouch BBE 2011 much heartier than the new ones in taste, consistency, flavour and packaging.

Shame it was my last :cry:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.