What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 11

Post by jennyjj01 »

Frnc wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:47 am Tried cooking rice in the flask last night. 2 hours was more than enough with a pre-rinse.
How did that work? Did it come out hot or just warm?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Added another solar panel to my collection the prices of panels has fallen through the floor in the past few months gone from about £1 a watt down to about 50p per watt
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:17 pm
Frnc wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:47 am Tried cooking rice in the flask last night. 2 hours was more than enough with a pre-rinse.
How did that work? Did it come out hot or just warm?
I didn't really think about it, but water in a decent flask should still be hot after a couple of hours.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

How are you feeling today, Jenny?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Mad Scientist wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:59 am How are you feeling today, Jenny?
Thanks for asking.
I think I'm through the worst. Still very sleepy and a bit short of breath with painful chest when I cough.

But today's big news is that the much suffering MrJJ showed symptoms this morning and has failed a test with a faint line, whatever that means. We were careful to stay apart, but it found a way.

At least today, we were able to share a much needed Hug. Time for me to step up to the mark.

And of course, the prepper pantry means we don't need to go shopping this month.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Glad to see an update from you, Jenny, though I'm sorry to hear that Mr JJ has succumbed. Hope your preps have got lots of nice and easy stuff to just heat up.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:43 pm Glad to see an update from you, Jenny, though I'm sorry to hear that Mr JJ has succumbed. Hope your preps have got lots of nice and easy stuff to just heat up.
If we'd thought it through.... If I'D thought it through, He'd have done a topup shop before succumbing, which was inevitable. Dang it: Fail!

We will run out of fresh milk, spuds and fruit. UHT Milk is a gap bbut we have NIDO! This will be an 'opportunity' to use up some canned stuff that needed using up anyway. Canned chicken in white sauce, stewing steak, Big Soups etc to be consumed with gay abandon. Appetites are a bit messed up and today we lived on fruit cocktail :)

My favourite coffee tastes god-awful.

I don't know if I mentioned in another post, but I have a few dozen sachet meals, Indi Grande from Home Bargain, which I now live in fear of :) The biryani meals have dissolved into a black gunk and the Punjab Choli has dark grey chickpeas. There will be a rare but significant 'chucking out' session this week. If anything's a candidate for botulism, these are. No guilt.

I hope to get out shopping by Thursday, and I hope to make it a monster of a shop while he's not supervising :)

Gaps Identified..... Inventory set for the next couple of days.

Lemsips, Tyrozets,
FFP3 Masks,
UHT Milk
Brandy depleted
aaa batteries
Heat pads
Time to grab some more curry sauces and tinned fruit.
Pork! After watching Daytime TV, I've got an urge to cook roast pork :D

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I suspect that tins are a lot better than sachets for full meals. Simpler, with a long history behind them now. And absolutely, chuck the stuff you don't like the look of - this is no time to get food poisoning, yuck. Good luck 🤗
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Prompted by Jenny's post ( Glad you are on the mend,) I have done a meds stock take. Being asthmatic, I am very aware of keeping my asthma pills and inhalers stocked up. I have, however, fallen a bit short in other med supplies as I had been working my way through a pre pandemic stock pile to stock up with more stuff in date. While I know most of the meds best before is often due to licensing agreements and actual effectiveness (as has been talked about on countless past threads,) I still like I have stuff that is in date or close to to give it longevity post SHTF. So this week has been going through the lockable med storage box and also putting some of my daughter's mental health pills in there as they keep changing what she is on. I always need a back up of those in a safe place.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Ara

Post by Ara »

Mr A accused me of being a "doomsday prepper" the other day just because I bought 4 jars of cranberry sauce. They were cheap as it's now the season of eggs, bunnies and hot cross buns and not Christmas. They have a long shelf life but won't last that long because I love the stuff. Do you think he's beginning to realise I really am a prepper?