Bugging out in the UK

Homes and Retreats
jennyjj01

Re: Bugging out in the UK

Post by jennyjj01 »

Trig.Point wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:23 pm Has anyone considered bugging out within an urban enviroment?, as in finding a location on some brownfield that wouldn't be very attractive to most of the population and lying up there untill things settled.
The sorts of urban locations that I might adopt would probably already be adopted by some other shady characters. I'd deem a bugging out version of me to be shady. I already have lockpicks :)
Frnc wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:35 pm
It's a good idea if you can find somewhere. I agree that there might be other people around. But I think most undesirable types would stay in built up areas looking to mug or loot, if the situation was of that nature. Of course first choice is defend your street and make your house look like it's already been looted. I think some ply over the windows would help. Maybe chuck some junk outside.
If looters were on the rampage, it would be time to choose or build your gang. Making your house look like it was already looted is just movie dialogue. I doubt that would work. Boarded windows give some defence, but scream "Rich pickings here" . I'd look for defensive allegiances first, but who knows what we would become if TS Really HTF. Farmer, forager, looter, thief?..... Murderer
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Forging alliegences with neighbours is a no-brainer. But it might not be enough.

Low key defence of the area around your house is a no-brainer, eg spiky bushes.

Ply on the windows might deter some people, but might attract others. If you did it well in advance it would attract looters. Doing it during shtf it might attract people looking for an urban bugout.

BUT it does mean you get some TIME. It will buy you a few crucial minutes. In that time you get the chance to escape with your bugout bag.

You only alternative is to try to fight several armed, desperate thugs who probably/possibly want to kill you or render you unconscious.

I think I'd probably only do the front downstairs window.

If you get out, you can come back in a couple of days. Chances are they'll loot it and move on. You just need food and shelter for a couple of days, and somewhere to lie low.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Fun facts

The average lifespan of a civilisation is 336 years. Collapse can be rapid, eg the Roman Empire was halved in 5 years and zero 80 years later. Some recover or are transformed, other collapses are permanent.

Civilisation collapse is caused by 4 main factors:

Climate change
Environmental degradation
Inequality and oligarchy
Complexity incl bureaucracy, falling EROI

also:
External shocks eg natural disaster, famine, plague
Randomness/bad luck

Source: BBC
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2019 ... n-collapse
Luke Kemp is a researcher based at the Centre for the Study of Existential Risk at the University of Cambridge
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

I think none of us know what we would do in a real SHTF world but we can only prepare for the worst and hope for the best in the real world i have plywood for my windows and i would lieave the net curtains up ply it from the inside so unless you got up close you can not tell , , i have some very reinforced locks and ideas on the inside , plus well i will just say other forms of defence .

I have always said we would hold this place as long as we could but be ready to move in the event , but again no one knows because in that world it would be a play it by ear so to speak .

Just remember to try and have all your preps eays to move we stock ours and have it in boxes and buckets all sealed ready to go , the only stuff not is the tinned and water but again it is all on shelves and easy to load in to boxes and move tothe car , we are lucky in that the garage is attached and it is hard to get to the back of out home canal is a barrier so to speak .

We can load the car inside behind locked doors and then open from the inside and drive out , just always tryand think 3 steps ahead , a good boy scout or brownie are never caught out , well i hope as people of preparedness we are ready or as ready as we can be .

I would like to hope we can all link up one day on another system to this ie cb radio as a way to link up if the world went to hell in a handcart , support those that support each other and we would all be on a good footing
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

steptoe wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:28 pm I think none of us know what we would do in a real SHTF world but we can only prepare for the worst and hope for the best in the real world i have plywood for my windows and i would lieave the net curtains up ply it from the inside so unless you got up close you can not tell , , i have some very reinforced locks and ideas on the inside , plus well i will just say other forms of defence .

I have always said we would hold this place as long as we could but be ready to move in the event , but again no one knows because in that world it would be a play it by ear so to speak .

Just remember to try and have all your preps eays to move we stock ours and have it in boxes and buckets all sealed ready to go , the only stuff not is the tinned and water but again it is all on shelves and easy to load in to boxes and move tothe car , we are lucky in that the garage is attached and it is hard to get to the back of out home canal is a barrier so to speak .

We can load the car inside behind locked doors and then open from the inside and drive out , just always tryand think 3 steps ahead , a good boy scout or brownie are never caught out , well i hope as people of preparedness we are ready or as ready as we can be .

I would like to hope we can all link up one day on another system to this ie cb radio as a way to link up if the world went to hell in a handcart , support those that support each other and we would all be on a good footing
I have thought about putting ply on the inside, but I don't have net curtains so I hadn't thought about it being less visible. But how do you fix ply to the wood and have the net curtain still visible? I can't get my head around that. Or is the ply going direct to the surrounding wall?
Also another thought, there might be no power, so it might be best to pre-drill the ply, and the wall if you're fixing to that.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Slightly off topic. I just read on twitter that rural homelessness has increased 24% in the last year. Without wanting to trivialise the issue, it occurred to me they must be living a sort of bug-out existence.

Here's a few bits from it:

"91% of rural respondents witnessed a rise in homelessness over the past five years."

"Isolation exacerbates the issue in rural areas, where limited transportation options and lack of support put homeless individuals at even greater risk. Those with physical or mental health needs are most vulnerable."

"countless individuals in our countryside are struggling to maintain a basic standard of living, often hidden in agricultural buildings, outhouses, farmland, or sofa-surfing."

Check this...

"Farmers are often cited as heroes, allowing people to pitch tents on their land and providing clean water and hot tea. But some are frustrated by regulations that prevent them from helping people sleeping rough, fearing criminalisation by local authorities."

More info here
https://englishrural.org.uk/rural-homelessness-counts/
Last edited by Frnc on Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

duplicate post by mistake
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

I wouldn't bug out in UK. Prefer NZ 🤔
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Trig.Point

Post by Trig.Point »

Trig.Point wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:23 pm I think the British countryside wouldn't really offer much in the line of foraging, or cover, or even the ability to avoid other people if that was an issue.

Has anyone considered bugging out within an urban enviroment?, as in finding a location on some brownfield that wouldn't be very attractive to most of the population and lying up there untill things settled.
It's a good idea if you can find somewhere. I agree that there might be other people around. But I think most undesirable types would stay in built up areas looking to mug or loot, if the situation was of that nature. Of course first choice is defend your street and make your house look like it's already been looted. I think some ply over the windows would help. Maybe chuck some junk outside.
I'd try to move to where the population wouldn't be. So locations that aren't rural and don't have residential housing. If I could find some brown field site with a little bit of hard standing, that I could use to do basic admin, that would be great. If anyone gets a chance do a search for stealth camping on YouTube, that's kind of what I'd be looking to do.

I heard a line once about how in certain situations someone shouldn't want to be one of the 'haves' while surrounded by 'have-nots'. I think a situation where people are considering bugging out would be one of those.

I'd be looking to have a source of water I could make drinkable, and fuel for cooking ie dead wood. Other than that, I'd move from stockpile to stockpile of food.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Trig.Point wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:27 pm
Trig.Point wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:23 pm I think the British countryside wouldn't really offer much in the line of foraging, or cover, or even the ability to avoid other people if that was an issue.

Has anyone considered bugging out within an urban enviroment?, as in finding a location on some brownfield that wouldn't be very attractive to most of the population and lying up there untill things settled.
I'd try to move to where the population wouldn't be. So locations that aren't rural and don't have residential housing. If I could find some brown field site with a little bit of hard standing, that I could use to do basic admin, that would be great. If anyone gets a chance do a search for stealth camping on YouTube, that's kind of what I'd be looking to do.

I heard a line once about how in certain situations someone shouldn't want to be one of the 'haves' while surrounded by 'have-nots'. I think a situation where people are considering bugging out would be one of those.

I'd be looking to have a source of water I could make drinkable, and fuel for cooking ie dead wood. Other than that, I'd move from stockpile to stockpile of food.
What do you mean move from stockiple to stockpile? You planning on burying stuff?

Re looking like a "have". Having gear makes you a target, but it's also very useful. If you have nothing you're less of a target but you don't have all that useful stuff. It's a dilemma! I can't walk far, so I'd try to travel using my push bike if I had to go far, but that might make me even more of a target. Most of my gear is black or grey and I might travel at night. I'd have to prepared to divert if I saw groups of dodgy looking people.