Self defence ideas

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Re: Self defence ideas

Post by jansman »

Whitetailprepper wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:50 pm If you’re not confident in carrying a knife due to laws. Carry a pen. There’s also the metal/ “tactical” type you can buy now. A metal dog chain is a good idea, a hefty padlock on one end will do well. metal water bottles and large metal torches. Bunches of keys on the end of a cord etc.

All of these are legal to carry, however used in self defence you’ll definitely face some form of legal action I imagine.

I’ve done martial arts 10+ years, competed and taught classes and the best thing you can possibly do is be aware of your situations & surroundings and be a good runner.
Walking in the woods and sticking a pen into an attacker will not pass the coppers. If the attack was in an office where you were writing,you could just about get away with it. Not in the woods though. :(
As Arzosah said,an alarm is a great idea. My wife and daughters have them. Avoidance is far better.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:55 pm Problem you have in law is that anything carried as a weapon could land you in hot water
Section 1 of the Prevention of Crime Act 1953 provides that an offensive weapon is any article made or adapted for use for causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use by him or by some other person.
We do try and stay clear of weapons as it's such a troublesome area in the eyes of the law and draws unwarranted attention to the forum..
Not talking about weapons at all.... A lot of people use a walking stick to aid mobility. If it had a few dog bite marks half way down, it would obviously also be a tog toy. Unlike a knife, you would have absolutely no legal problems carrying or using one. And if someone attacked you, you would instinctively defend yourself with whatever ordinary item was at hand. What you can't do is carry a stick with the INTENTION to use it as a weapon. So never say, post, or imply that you are carrying a stick as a defensive weapon.
There are some good videos on youtube about self defence and there are others about walking sticks. I wonder if there is any overlap :evil: ;) ;)
I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of a walking stick wielded with 'attitude'
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Could you carry a pruning saw and say the woods "looked overgrown"?
Whitetailprepper

Post by Whitetailprepper »

jansman wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:35 pm
Whitetailprepper wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:50 pm If you’re not confident in carrying a knife due to laws. Carry a pen. There’s also the metal/ “tactical” type you can buy now. A metal dog chain is a good idea, a hefty padlock on one end will do well. metal water bottles and large metal torches. Bunches of keys on the end of a cord etc.

All of these are legal to carry, however used in self defence you’ll definitely face some form of legal action I imagine.

I’ve done martial arts 10+ years, competed and taught classes and the best thing you can possibly do is be aware of your situations & surroundings and be a good runner.
Walking in the woods and sticking a pen into an attacker will not pass the coppers. If the attack was in an office where you were writing,you could just about get away with it. Not in the woods though. :(
As Arzosah said,an alarm is a great idea. My wife and daughters have them. Avoidance is far better.
Totally agree avoidance is key. These are last resort options.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:57 pm Could you carry a pruning saw and say the woods "looked overgrown"?
Got permission to be there? Actually sawing at the time of attack? I am guessing not.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

Did you ever consider the fact that you have the wrong dog?

Did you ever consider the fact that there are people that can train your dog to defend you?
korolev

Post by korolev »

If anything happened and you had to twat an attacker, they are almost certain to say "she hit me for no reason". If you have hit them with anything that could be primarily conceived of as a weapon, such as a padlock on a chain, tactical pen or a walking stick (assuming you've no mobility issues) then you'd be facing very awkward questions.
My advice would be to carry a big Maglite or similar where the reason for carrying is to light up your path and look for your dog.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Robert Frost.

Me.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Mortblanc wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:20 am Did you ever consider the fact that you have the wrong dog?

Did you ever consider the fact that there are people that can train your dog to defend you?
Hi why is it the wrong dog and why train a dog to attack or defend .

My point on this is my german shepard he was so soft he ran away fro ma moth and cried when he got lost in the woods and parted from us , he was very soft to the point he and his brother where returned to the breeder because he would not attack , he would not hold a soft toy in his mouth he would juggle it and would never grip , and it was funny he only every twice showed a bad side the first 2 years of owning him making him 3 he would not bark , one day the neighbour on our allotment walked close to him in a flat cap and barbour jacket and he growled and then again at a park one day a man in a flat cap and barbour jacket was close and he growled , hmmm now we know the people that took them tried to trai nthem to attack and when they would not returned them they were for want of a better word hooray henrys , now since our boy died we have looked to get another and i have been offered so many and then it turns out thye are failed police dogs that get the a point and fail some on the ablity to hold some on the the other things now think if you have this trained dog and you take it to a park and left it off the lead and a kid runs past arms waving are you sure that dog will not revert to it's training and run and grab the arm and drag the kid down now do you see why i say WHY train the dog to defend , also if you train a dog to defend and it attacks and you can not control that attack you could find yourself in hot water defence train dogs are a weapon and should not be so eays to buy for the public .
Sorry i hate it when people see dogs as nothing more than a defence or attack tool it is and should be a family member first and formost
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

When the fella jumped on me in the showers at the pool the staff set the drown alarm off and they all came running and some of the men who were in the pool got out screaming at him
I was struggling to get the shampoo out of my face whilst trying to go ape s#it with said nutter and managed to knock him flat ...

He took his trunks off was screaming like a madman and the pool staff were trying to get him away .. he did eventually get out and as paid cash only his pic to go with
Cut to the quick when police called me they'd reviewed the footage and said that they'll give a incident number then if he does it again they'll know ... showers at side of pool so fortunately all caught on cctv
The staff though were questioned lengthy about how much force they had used against would be pervert ..and was it necessary .
I told the police person who rang me its a damned good job I had shampoo all over or itd be me they were asking !

I have a massive bunch of keys
Always with me outside
They have those little things you win in 2p arcades
Small snooker balls on a keyring ..blooming tough pretty little things and some glittery metal stuff
Nice large bunch....pretty heavy ...