What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:23 am
jansman wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:11 am
Arzosah wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:15 pm Gulp. At the moment, hybrid seems to be the way to go, though I'm not sure about plug in or not.
My brother in law has a hybrid. Nice kit! He bought that because he has nowhere at home he could charge it ,as a totally electric car. My brother is in the car game too. He said that recently he had to go to London to pick up a Bentley ,and on the way back saw a number of all electric vehicles broken down,as there was NOWHERE working to charge them! So a hybrid is a sensible idea I reckon.
That was my thinking too, jansman. My brother often drives his sons' cars up and down the country and locally too, and charging is a real issue if you need to do it away from the house, thats what I hear from his stories. If I did manage to drive far enough that I needed charging, I couldn't take the stress of the search and the queuing for a working charger. But I still need to make the decision about what type of hybrid, and I just don't have enough information yet.
Apparently,electric car drivers have a somewhat unique stress issue about charging on a journey from home ,and it is widespread too! As for choice of hybrid,well…
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:40 am Today I am dissecting my car emergency kit(s). All of the ‘outdoor’ gear going to my sister and her husband who have just bought a piece of woodland! I don’t need all that gear,and my wife certainly doesn’t! :D ‘Bugging Out ‘here is with a bag of clothes,suitable kit and doggy kit to the nearest pet - friendly hotel! Going to replace the emergency water in the outdoor storage room - only 100 litres. Made sure the filters and chemicals are visible too,so my wife can deal with it if I am too ill or not here. That’s all there for the rainwater harvest barrels. I’m going to run through that storage area with her again too. Cooking,lighting etc. Also ,the 4x 25 litre water containers are stored so that a syphon is easy for her to use in an emergency.2 of those there. Be easy for me too,especially when my health gets worse.

I’ve nearly completed the firewood processing now. No messing next Winter now. If my cancer can be slowed down , I know I will not be well enough to process what I am now. I’ve sorted a chimney sweep for next time, and I will have a word with our fuel merchant about wood too. Mind you,in the fullness of time,my wife may well sell up. Her choice.

Another major prep has been sorting pension funds,insurance,assets,and even my gold and silver ‘collection’. Everything is in a file in the safe ,and our daughters know this too ,so that mum gets what she rightly deserves. I detest the financial industry. Indeed , yesterday my best mate came to see me,and he was telling me how the so- called promise of his pension fund was a total joke when it came to cashing in. As he said,” I do proper work,and these gi*s take my money,and turn me over - they do nothing useful in reality”. So true! I’ll say no more there as it makes me feel sick!

All the preps now are in order for me to cope with poorer health that will come ,or my death which ultimately will,so my wife is covered. May sound grim, but it’s practical. Adapt and overcome.
My dad died recently. They are/were pretty organised people. However my mum's had a few issues. One thing she's not been able to find is the car purchase paperwork. She's basically sold it to a neighbour, I think it's sorted, but it would have been easier if she could have found that. She doesn't use computers at all, so she can't find things online. Also I think because some things were just in my dad's name, it makes continuity harder. Things like gas and electric. She didn't get cut off but I know there were hurdles. I know he left a will, and details of what he wanted in his funeral. Another thing is Power Of Attourney, which is someone who can make decisions if you are unable to. I was going to get my bro to do that for me, but I never got round to it, yet. I assume with a will you have to appoint a solicitor in advance.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:56 am
jansman wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:40 am Today I am dissecting my car emergency kit(s). All of the ‘outdoor’ gear going to my sister and her husband who have just bought a piece of woodland! I don’t need all that gear,and my wife certainly doesn’t! :D ‘Bugging Out ‘here is with a bag of clothes,suitable kit and doggy kit to the nearest pet - friendly hotel! Going to replace the emergency water in the outdoor storage room - only 100 litres. Made sure the filters and chemicals are visible too,so my wife can deal with it if I am too ill or not here. That’s all there for the rainwater harvest barrels. I’m going to run through that storage area with her again too. Cooking,lighting etc. Also ,the 4x 25 litre water containers are stored so that a syphon is easy for her to use in an emergency.2 of those there. Be easy for me too,especially when my health gets worse.

I’ve nearly completed the firewood processing now. No messing next Winter now. If my cancer can be slowed down , I know I will not be well enough to process what I am now. I’ve sorted a chimney sweep for next time, and I will have a word with our fuel merchant about wood too. Mind you,in the fullness of time,my wife may well sell up. Her choice.

Another major prep has been sorting pension funds,insurance,assets,and even my gold and silver ‘collection’. Everything is in a file in the safe ,and our daughters know this too ,so that mum gets what she rightly deserves. I detest the financial industry. Indeed , yesterday my best mate came to see me,and he was telling me how the so- called promise of his pension fund was a total joke when it came to cashing in. As he said,” I do proper work,and these gi*s take my money,and turn me over - they do nothing useful in reality”. So true! I’ll say no more there as it makes me feel sick!

All the preps now are in order for me to cope with poorer health that will come ,or my death which ultimately will,so my wife is covered. May sound grim, but it’s practical. Adapt and overcome.
My dad died recently. They are/were pretty organised people. However my mum's had a few issues. One thing she's not been able to find is the car purchase paperwork. She's basically sold it to a neighbour, I think it's sorted, but it would have been easier if she could have found that. She doesn't use computers at all, so she can't find things online. Also I think because some things were just in my dad's name, it makes continuity harder. Things like gas and electric. She didn't get cut off but I know there were hurdles. I know he left a will, and details of what he wanted in his funeral. Another thing is Power Of Attourney, which is someone who can make decisions if you are unable to. I was going to get my bro to do that for me, but I never got round to it, yet. I assume with a will you have to appoint a solicitor in advance.
I have just renewed our wills. Good job,as the scumbag pension company wants written’proof’ that my wife qualifies for the fund - even though they confirmed right at the beginning that she is the registered recipient upon my death!Our wills basically state that My propert is hers in fullness,and Vice Versa.Power of attorney is taken care of too. Fortunately my trade union did this for me ( a nice ‘bonus’ as a member) and now we have both physical and digital wills. Our daughters have pdf copies too,as they have power of attorney. A solicitor doesn’t have to have power of attorney,it’s person(s) of your choice. Worth sorting though.

I am not a computer man myself,so our paperwork is physically sorted ,updated - on paper in old fashioned handwriting :D- and rubbish dumped. Our society is information- based ,for sure ,so I have found it needs to be up to date ,as you never know when life can change. A good job well done. ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Oh yes,and I made sure my wife is sorting all the bills out etc. which I have always done. Less hassle when I cannot do it…

Robert Frost.

Me.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Yay, finally convinced my SO to start buying bulk dried and tinned food, only taken a few years. 😂. Starting on my GHB, now, any recommendations for an army style or ex military rucksacks? The one I have isn’t really big enough for a decent ghb, for everything I think I need.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

DustyDog wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:54 am Yay, finally convinced my SO to start buying bulk dried and tinned food, only taken a few years. 😂. Starting on my GHB, now, any recommendations for an army style or ex military rucksacks? The one I have isn’t really big enough for a decent ghb, for everything I think I need.
What do you think you need and whats your budget for a pack?

My preps this week? Nothing, I'm 68 and if I ain't got what I need by now then I never will so in reality my preparations are done apart from rotating food.

I am looking at installing a 2Kw solar system but that will be a fun project to make my ham radio shack off grid and have enough power to keep fridgefreezer going even in winter. I'm now a 'passive' prepper ;)
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

My Father died 4 July 2021 and with it mine and my sisters Power of Attorney.

Probate takes over over a certain amount size of an Estate.

We are still waiting for the final payout of his Estate.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:22 pm My Father died 4 July 2021 and with it mine and my sisters Power of Attorney.

Probate takes over over a certain amount size of an Estate.

We are still waiting for the final payout of his Estate.
This is an issue . I’ve been discussing this with my elderly mother about her estate. Of course,I have power of attorney,but my life is now limited! :lol: We are talking to my eldest daughter now about this. Complicated.

I do hope your final settlement is soon P.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

DustyDog wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:54 am , any recommendations for an army style or ex military rucksacks?
I can vouch for the studiness of a Tactical 5.11 backpack.
I got one as a parting gift from a warehouse I worked at in Oz that supplied their emergency services and occasional military order.
I've had, and abused, that backpack for 10 years. A slight wear on a shoulder is the only damage it's got.
And when I say abused, I mean abused. Beaches, gravel, camping, +40⁰C sunlight, -25⁰C nights. Lakes, bogs, booze runs, fisting extra stuff in to beat the flight check in fees. It's my go to everyday bag. Probably will be for at least the next 5 years too.

https://www.511tactical.com/se-en/rush1 ... kpack.html
Only complaint I have is the next size up would have been perfect. But then again, it was free.
Last edited by Cocotte on Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Checking the battery is working in my geiger counter 😃