Has everyone coped with the extreme cold?>

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: Has everyone coped with the extreme cold?>

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:54 am Here’s an interesting article. Interesting,because generally central heating ,and the way we tend to live,is only about 40 years old.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8283796.stm
Interesting. Sad that the family disintegrated. The article doesn't mention global warming. It's the elephant in the room. In fact the recent cold spell, which is just hitting America, is caused by global warming.
Anyway, interesting to read. I don't want to go back to an open coal fire. I would consider a wood stove if I had the dosh, but I live in a tightly regulated area regarding smoke.
The curtains and floor coverings I could think about. I used to have a curtain over my front door, but it always got stuck at the top so I removed and chucked it, years ago. I should put a new one up on a better slider.
I do have wood floors (the floorboards, sanded, stained and varnished). They are butt jointed, so air moves freely. This is why I have a radiator in the cellar under a lodger's room. I did stick plastic sheet over the cellar window. One side isn't even glass, it's wooden slats. His room is warm enough anyway.
I currently have a fleece on but am a bit warm at 19.2 so I think I'll swap to my ultra-thin wool jumper which is really a base layer two sizes up.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:34 am
jansman wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:54 am Here’s an interesting article. Interesting,because generally central heating ,and the way we tend to live,is only about 40 years old.

Interesting. Sad that the family disintegrated. The article doesn't mention global warming. It's the elephant in the room. In fact the recent cold spell, which is just hitting America, is caused by global warming.
Anyway, interesting to read. I don't want to go back to an open coal fire. I would consider a wood stove if I had the dosh, but I live in a tightly regulated area regarding smoke.
The curtains and floor coverings I could think about. I used to have a curtain over my front door, but it always got stuck at the top so I removed and chucked it, years ago. I should put a new one up on a better slider.
I do have wood floors (the floorboards, sanded, stained and varnished). They are butt jointed, so air moves freely. This is why I have a radiator in the cellar under a lodger's room. I did stick plastic sheet over the cellar window. One side isn't even glass, it's wooden slats. His room is warm enough anyway.
I currently have a fleece on but am a bit warm at 19.2 so I think I'll swap to my ultra-thin wool jumper which is really a base layer two sizes up.
The article highlighted clothing,insulation floors and the like. Of course,in urban ( and many other areas too) one can see regulations moving in over solid fuel. I think the plan for folks,the big one, is having an old fashioned attitude to actually wearing clothes! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Didn't an mp get pilloried a little while ago for making the common sense suggestion that people should put a jumper on if they're cold?
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

On the subject of floors a point came up on another building related forum I use. Should you take up 25% of the floor you must legally bring the whole floor up to current regulations which effectively means putting in 100mm of celotex or equilivelent. I collected loads of offcuts of celotex off building sites and insulated my floors. They are timber with something like a 4ft space below and I had to crawl around quite a bit but feel it was worth it.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:27 am Didn't an mp get pilloried a little while ago for making the common sense suggestion that people should put a jumper on if they're cold?
That's about the known prior attitudes of the person doing the suggesting.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:36 am
grenfell wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:27 am Didn't an mp get pilloried a little while ago for making the common sense suggestion that people should put a jumper on if they're cold?
True but how would even the most caring politician put the same message across?
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:04 am
Frnc wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:34 am

The article highlighted clothing,insulation floors and the like. Of course,in urban ( and many other areas too) one can see regulations moving in over solid fuel. I think the plan for folks,the big one, is having an old fashioned attitude to actually wearing clothes! :D
Clothes is relatively easy. I have to have the house reasonably warm because of the lodgers. I'm trying to train them to get used to slightly cooler temperatures. Eventually when my fixed rate ends they'll either have to pay more or live in a cold house. I'm wearing warm joggers (Under Armour 'Armour Fleece' https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133824102589), wool socks, thin jumper or fleece. My room is 19.0. If my hands get cold I have some convertable mitts. I have an electric rad set to keep my room at 19.3 if there's only me in and I turn the c/h off. I sleep hot, so my duvet is thin, even in winter. I have a second duvet for extra cold nights, which I use only rarely.
I have loads of warm clothes, so I hopefully could survive in winter without heating. A lot of it is Montane, Rab, Mountain Equipment.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

grenfell wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:39 am
Arzosah wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:36 am
It's stating the obvious really. If you can't afford much or any heating, of course you will be wearing as much clothes as possible. There are people who went through that cold spell recently wearing several layers and getting under the duvet, with no heating.
If people want to wear almost nothing and spend a fortune on heating, that''s up to them, but there is the climate crisis to consider as well. And of course they are contributing to higher gas and electricity prices by pushing up demand.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:59 am
Arzosah wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:36 am That's about the known prior attitudes of the person doing the suggesting.
It's stating the obvious really. If you can't afford much or any heating, of course you will be wearing as much clothes as possible. There are people who went through that cold spell recently wearing several layers and getting under the duvet, with no heating.
If people want to wear almost nothing and spend a fortune on heating, that''s up to them, but there is the climate crisis to consider as well. And of course they are contributing to higher gas and electricity prices by pushing up demand.
Indeed, how true.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Frnc wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:59 am
Arzosah wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:36 am That's about the known prior attitudes of the person doing the suggesting.
It is obvious and common sense but how many politicians are going down the other route and calling for more government handouts to help people pay their heating bills. We have , I believe , similar political views ( but don't wish to go too deep there) and I'm not against taxation but taxing energy companies just to hand the money out for people to pay their electric and gas bills isn't sustainable and verges on maddness. I still believe dropping the idea of TEQ's was misguided.
I'm reminded of a post on another forum a few years ago shortly after he Grenfell tower fire. It was a crass comment to be honest and went along the lines of " looking at the cost of the insulation it would have been cheaper just to give a grand to each of the residents to pay their bills". As if money solves everything and everything else , climate , resource depletion etc can just be ignored.