What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
hobo

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by hobo »

hobo wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:06 pm
Kiwififer wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:23 pm I’ve just been told I have mild arthritis in my right knee so I’m seeing the nurse at 2.00 to get bloods done and a general MOT.

So prepping with consist of buying CBD gummies tomorrow and I will see what supplements I need to help with the pain. I normally take cocodamol and ibuprofen and put on a knee brace which helps but the brace is in the wash today so I’m hobbling about Edinburgh and dodging the Christmas markets!

If anyone has advice on how to help with pain management, I would be very happy…
Not tried CBD but did try glucosamine which did nothing for me. Might do for you though? Got mine from Nature’s Best (I’ve no connection with them). GP says to tolerate the pain as long as possible before thinking of replacements!
On bad days I take Tramadol and Cocodamol 30/500.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:52 am
Arzosah wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:09 am I got my update ... he was *worse* yesterday :( Stressful. My sister is being genuinely nice about it, but I do feel I'm letting the side down. Talk about team spirit :(
Oh dear.
Bad enough that your nephew is poorly at Christmas, but it will be tough on you to be the wicked Aunt that stayed away 'just because'. I hope he gets well soon and that nobody else falls victim.
Take care of you.
Don't worry, they're not like that, stereotyping as Wicked Aunt! I've realised what's niggling at me, though - if they needed me to help, I'd be over there like a shot, and take the risk. I did that for my sister during the first year of the pandemic. But the Christmas do is about having a good time, and I won't, I'll be concerned about infection, not from him but from asymptomatic spread to sister and niece in law. No further update today, but I'm leaning towards not going.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:11 pm In a brief run of the oven, Last night I had a stab at parsnip and carrot crisps. Not wholly successful.

Scrub that. It was an epic failure as I sit munching them now!

Three medium parsnips from my harvest and three small carrots from my Lidl Heist
Sliced with potato peeler. That was harder than it should have been. Spiralizer next time?

Tossed in just enough olive oil.
Oven 170C for 20 minutes on a pizza tray, turning twice.

The beggars just didn't crisp up, especially the carrots

Severe mismatch in that some of the parsnips went dark brown and like wood bark, while the carrots remained soft like cold clammy flesh. And even the dark brown bits were not snappy crisps :(

Anyways. I salted them and I'm currently forcing some down. Could cost a filling
What a shame! I love that you run with the foodie experiments :)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Kiwififer wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:23 pm I’ve just been told I have mild arthritis in my right knee so I’m seeing the nurse at 2.00 to get bloods done and a general MOT.

So prepping with consist of buying CBD gummies tomorrow and I will see what supplements I need to help with the pain. I normally take cocodamol and ibuprofen and put on a knee brace which helps but the brace is in the wash today so I’m hobbling about Edinburgh and dodging the Christmas markets!

If anyone has advice on how to help with pain management, I would be very happy…
KF, that sounds bad to me, not mild at all! And I speak as someone who had to have an operation for arthritis in my shoulder that was pressing on a nerve and risking my arm. I've never taken anything regularly for my arthritis, and, ahem, I have it in almost every joint, and both sides, which is probably why I sleep so badly. I regard cocodamol as quite strong :(

You're asking for advice on pain management, you're already quite a way beyond me, but heat helps me, and soft support. Good luck with the nurse and the medical input.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Thanks everyone.

Hot baths, pain relief and a knee brace is how I have been dealing with it up till now but this winter, I would say the pain is up from about 2.5 to a 5. I’m walking 15-18k steps in my new job which is what is obviously causing the discomfort so I will see what the nurse recommends.

Prepping I suppose is also preparing for aches and pains in auld age. I’m only 50, it feels like yesterday I went clubbing in Ibiza, what happened?
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Kiwififer wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:31 pm Thanks everyone.

Hot baths, pain relief and a knee brace is how I have been dealing with it up till now but this winter, I would say the pain is up from about 2.5 to a 5. I’m walking 15-18k steps in my new job which is what is obviously causing the discomfort so I will see what the nurse recommends.

Prepping I suppose is also preparing for aches and pains in auld age. I’m only 50, it feels like yesterday I went clubbing in Ibiza, what happened?
Dunno but I'm over 60 and listening to house music right now. Tech house, funky house, house, nu-disco mostly. Plus a bit of orgiginal disco.
I get knee pain all the time. My back is wrecked, have to be careful. It limits me a lot, eg can't stand for hours, struggle with gardening or decorating.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Kiwififer wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:23 pm I’ve just been told I have mild arthritis in my right knee so I’m seeing the nurse at 2.00 to get bloods done and a general MOT....
Heatpads from Home Bargain are pretty good for arthritis in the back & shoulders. Might be worth trying on the knee? They use the same chemical reaction as oxygen absorbers and stay warm for about 3 hours or sometimes more.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:19 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:11 pm In a brief run of the oven, Last night I had a stab at parsnip and carrot crisps. Not wholly successful.

Anyways. I salted them and I'm currently forcing some down. Could cost a filling
What a shame! I love that you run with the foodie experiments :)
Failure is part of the learning process, so I might as well report it.
Still have 500g of small parsnips to preserve.

In other news, Thank you ALDI for the 10kg of spuds for 60p
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Arzosah going as things are now won't help anybody or anything, it will just stir things up and muddly the waters. Sit tight and support her from here.
Kiwififer I take co-codamol higher dose but only at night. If I don't then the pain is unbearable. If you get a decent sleep that's half the battle. And maybe find a way to walk less and sit more at work? Might not be do-able though.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:09 pm Arzosah going as things are now won't help anybody or anything, it will just stir things up and muddly the waters. Sit tight and support her from here.
Kiwififer I take co-codamol higher dose but only at night. If I don't then the pain is unbearable. If you get a decent sleep that's half the battle. And maybe find a way to walk less and sit more at work? Might not be do-able though.
I’m a community mental health worker doing around 18k steps a day, there’s not really any scope to move to a desk job I am afraid!

I’ve never had a problem sleeping at night, I’m normally knackered by 10. The hot water bottle helps, haven’t thought about a heat pad but they are essentially the same thing. The nurse went over a few things mainly around my weight, diet and exercise are fine but like most, snacking is my downfall. If I cut that out, I should lose a bit but that’s easier said than done…