What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Ara

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Ara »

Made sausage-type draught excluders to go at the base of the doors into the living room. One wasn't successful. Guess what, the draught was coming from the poorly sealed patio doors and not under the door to the dining room. (I assumed the curtains were blowing due to an under-door draught.) Makeshift sealant used until I decorate the room next year.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Frnc wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:36 pm
rik_uk3 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:35 pm https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... _edm_other

Less than a fiver delivered.
You know that doesn't include the brass burner, right? I assume that's a standard size.
Yep, must have ten or more spare burners, still cheap IMO.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

rik_uk3 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:57 pm
Frnc wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:36 pm
rik_uk3 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:35 pm https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... _edm_other

Less than a fiver delivered.
You know that doesn't include the brass burner, right? I assume that's a standard size.
Yep, must have ten or more spare burners, still cheap IMO.
Yes it is, was just checking. I just have one meths burner, but two Trangias! Mini T came with gas burner, but big T came with a gas burner.
Sneddle

Post by Sneddle »

Fetched another load from the freeze dryer. Skimmed milk can actually be made to taste like full fat milk, if you add more powder. I hate the burned taste of UHT or "normal" powdered milk, freeze dried is much nicer imo.

Went to defrost the car this morning, the can of de-icer I had in the shed was so cold it couldn't spray. It's mostly full, and worked last time I used it. It's inside now, warming up. Thankfully I had a spray bottle of liquid that worked fine.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Sneddle wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:40 am Went to defrost the car this morning, the can of de-icer I had in the shed was so cold it couldn't spray. It's mostly full, and worked last time I used it. It's inside now, warming up. Thankfully I had a spray bottle of liquid that worked fine.
I gave up on spray cans for de-icer a couple of years ago, trigger bottles are the way to go.

Does anyone know if you can buy just the liquid so I can refill my bottles and save plastic??
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Almost got my prep room painted, but the new paint is definitely pulling off paint I put on a few days ago, in places. I spoke to the manufacturers again. They don't think it can dissolve it, but it could pull it off if the bond is bad. So I have to sand these areas and re-paint them a couple of times. It's 98% done anyway.
Felt a bit rough yesterday afternoon and apparently emulsion paint fumes can make you feel like you have the flu, so I'll wait til it's warmer and open the window. Will be glad to get it finished and in use.
This room will also be our main fire escape as the window is easy to get out of. I can move my exercise bike in there too, which blocks my bedroom window.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Accidentally distilled some beer.
There's a couple of cases of home brew beer kept at the side of the garage. Opened one tonight, to make some gravy. It had frozen mostly solid. Drained it into a jug. Half came out as double strength beer, leaving mostly half a bottle of just ice.
Nice. Like cold barley wine.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Shhhh! HMRC will think you are trying to make hooch. :lol:
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I’m away to finish off a couple of gallons of wine and mead I made last year.

One is a ‘Black Cherry wine’ recipe I followed, the other is ‘Viking blood mead’ which was a recipe I followed.

I haven’t a clue how they will come out.
Attachments
A3D60B51-95DC-4524-AE3A-FEE26D7019D6.jpeg
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Which honey do you use? I want to make some more mead sometime but got put off years ago by the eucalyptus flavoured one I made with cheap honey that obviously came from Oz.