Prepping for this winter's potential electricity crisis

How are you preparing
PreppingPingu

Prepping for this winter's potential electricity crisis

Post by PreppingPingu »

Now I know there are many articles about referring to our government's emergency power plans and I know there are plenty of quotes of them saying "but it won't come to that" However, we have had the it won't happen and then it does too many times over the last few years. While they are still talking about getting that big gas storage back up and running and talking about various other things, my question is what extra preps are folk putting in for a potential winter of power cuts and strikes?

I for one am topping up batteries and chargers now before either are any supply issues due to either global economics or panic buying.My daughter invested in a Chargeable electric blanket. It means she can just heat herself, even when there's no power.

Looking at thermal blinds for the velux windows and if I can either replacing or adding a lining to an existing pair of curtains. We've had our boiler serviced ready.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
bobble

Re: Prepping for this winter's potential electricity crisis

Post by bobble »

Bought some more rechargeable batteries for our lamps. Got some cash out of the bank to put by, in case of bank/atm outages.
Paracord1945

Post by Paracord1945 »

Interesting topic and a good one too. I like the idea of the thermal blinds for the velux windows.
tco-lincs

Post by tco-lincs »

I have a list as long as my arm, we live in a listed building so we have single glazed units so for us our list is (both long and short term plan):

- Secondary glazing
- Heavy curtains
- Chimney lined (done & swept)
- Reopen bedroom fireplace
- Draught excluders
- Electric heated blanket

Electric
- Check the kids PS4 & computer sleep settings, i have a feeling they have removed the auto turn off function
- Smart plug in sockets

The hardest bit is weighing up keeping the shutters and curtains closed vs it then being too dark and having to have the lights on as a result.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

This is the official plan from HMG
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... gency-code
Basically we can expect rolling power cuts lasting 3-4 hours at a time. Frequency will depend on the degree of shortage. If we run more than 50% short the cuts will roll together and last 6-8 hours with 3 hours back on in between.

So we are planning at two levels. One is using the mains to recover/recharge between cuts and the other is working out what we can take off grid completely to both reduce energy use and the need to rely on electricity.
Lighting and cooking are fairly easy using solar & camping kit.
I don't think I can face hand washing for 4 people so that will have to be timed to when power is available. The fridge freeze should cope with care unless outages are sustained but I will use the penny rested on top of a tub of ice trick to check for unexpected defrosting & refreezing.
Heating will be a mix of passive - insulate the person & the room, plus things like hot water bottles or power packs with a USB personal heating mat. We don't have permissions to use portable gas heating in our place or to fit a woodburner or we would have done it a while ago.
Powering all the household laptops and broadband etc is a challenge and we are now on digital voice so reliant on power for the phoneline too. I wont know if the far end of the broadband line is able to work until the power goes out and I can stick the router on an inverter so this one is hard to prep.
jansman

Post by jansman »

We have LED battery lighting aplenty right now. Lots of batteries,both rechargeable and disposable. Security lighting is being ‘edited’ ;) . We are all electric, but our primary heating is solid fuel,and believe me, we have fuel aplenty too! We will be ok , for now.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

GillyBee wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:33 pm This is the official plan from HMG
Basically we can expect rolling power cuts lasting 3-4 hours at a time. Frequency will depend on the degree of shortage. If we run more than 50% short the cuts will roll together and last 6-8 hours with 3 hours back on in between.
I'll be honest, all those rota tables broke my brain :lol: If it comes to rolling black outs, then I hope they are explained better than that!

I'm building up a collection of LED camping lights and batteries. I do have candles, but they would be the very last choice, because there isn't anywhere properly safe to put them here. If it came to it, then it would be tea lights first, as I have safer ways of using them, and only use taper candles as a real last ditch measure.

I really need to think about how cooking would work. I have a trangia type stove and fuel for it, but I need to think how that would get used. Perhaps using the flat glass top of the cooker and have the back door open while using it? There isn't anywhere particularly safe to use it outside. I also need to add to my stash of noodles and other quick-to-cook-on-a-trangia foods.

My main concern is how to look after my Mum who lives in sheltered housing. She would go into panic mode and I think I would likely have to go bring her here during any power cuts, which frankly will strain our relationship.

There's so much to think about! I haven't even thought about heating! :?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Le Mouse wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:25 pm
I'll be honest, all those rota tables broke my brain :lol: If it comes to rolling black outs, then I hope they are explained better than that!

I'm building up a collection of LED camping lights and batteries. I do have candles, but they would be the very last choice, because there isn't anywhere properly safe to put them here. If it came to it, then it would be tea lights first, as I have safer ways of using them, and only use taper candles as a real last ditch measure.

I really need to think about how cooking would work. I have a trangia type stove and fuel for it, but I need to think how that would get used. Perhaps using the flat glass top of the cooker and have the back door open while using it? There isn't anywhere particularly safe to use it outside. I also need to add to my stash of noodles and other quick-to-cook-on-a-trangia foods.

My main concern is how to look after my Mum who lives in sheltered housing. She would go into panic mode and I think I would likely have to go bring her here during any power cuts, which frankly will strain our relationship.

I did a stress test this weekend. Trangia was part of it. We stood it on the top of the stove,as it is Simple methylated spirit. It’s not like ,say, putting a volcano stove in the house - yes that has happened! :o
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Le Mouse wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:25 pm

If you're using a Trangia indoors with the door open, make sure there's nothing flammable for at least a couple of feet around. Because the flame can blow sideways in a draught. I think they burn a bit stronger once they get going properly. Personally I prefer the backpacking gas cannister stoves. But the cartridges have gone up in price a lot. You can get a half decent price if you shop around, but a lot of sellers on ebay are taking the ****.
This isn't bad https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134015307535
Last edited by Frnc on Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

jansman wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:19 pm
I did a stress test this weekend. Trangia was part of it. We stood it on the top of the stove,as it is Simple methylated spirit. It’s not like ,say, putting a volcano stove in the house - yes that has happened! :o
I had to google what a volcano stove was - apt name! I'd be the one who lost their eyebrows with something like that :lol:

I haven't used my trangia for a very long time. I must try it out this week while I'm off work.

Jansman, I saw in another post that you have a Kelly kettle. Is that something that can also be used indoors (with care obviously), or definitely outdoor use only?