I think I'm paranoid...

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
jansman

Re: I think I'm paranoid...

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:01 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:16 pm
Frnc wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:44 pm
10 l on the end of a shelf is working ok. You do need to change water at least once a year.
I disagree on the shelf life. Some say refill the bottles with fresh tap water every year or so. But I feel happier having shop bought sealed spring water stored in the dark indefinitely. Tap water, I'd be wary of microorganisms and algi. Worst case scenario a bit of plasticky taste with the sealed bottles. Those plastic bottles are very stable.
I wash my containers first with soapy water, thoroughly rinse, then steralise. UK tap water is, or was, highly regulated. I've seen claims that it was regulated stricter than bottled water. But it was regulated by an EU directive. Not sure how that will change. Something to keep an eye on actually.
My father in law was foreman at the local water purification plant. He told me that ‘council pop’ :lol: is 98% pure. 2% less is because there could be problems when water hits the end- user- boundaries.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:32 pm
My father in law was foreman at the local water purification plant. He told me that ‘council pop’ :lol: is 98% pure. 2% less is because there could be problems when water hits the end- user- boundaries.
Dad's house was, and still is, fed through lead pipe for the full length of the house. I wouldn't want to bottle that.

I just checked and the BBE date on my water is two years away.
The common concern is that chemicals will leach out of the bottle. I don't worry about that.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:12 pm
jansman wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:32 pm
Dad's house was, and still is, fed through lead pipe for the full length of the house. I wouldn't want to bottle that.

I just checked and the BBE date on my water is two years away.
The common concern is that chemicals will leach out of the bottle. I don't worry about that.
I would assume the risk is a lot lower if you run the tap for a minute. And higher if you are drinking it all day every day. The risk re storing a few litres would be very low if you've run the tap for a minute. Lead is more of a risk to unborn babies and young children.
United Utilities say if the lead pipe is under 30m you should be Ok just running the cold water for a couple of minutes in the morning. https://www.unitedutilities.com/help-an ... -top-tips/