How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

For all things financial
jennyjj01

Re: How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

Post by jennyjj01 »

Happyhatter wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:03 pm Great minds think alike, also reduced meat intake & started bulking out meals with filling ingredients such as potatoes
I constantly pad out minced beef with soya mince and a bit of oxo.
I chuckle that my tasting panel don't notice, and nobody has really linked the universal bottom burps to the days I cook mince.... 1/3 soya mince. It actually seems to taste nicer.

Also, on the subject of beef mince..... 15% - 20% fat is MUCH cheaper and much tastier. Win Win
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
WomanOfTheWoods

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

I'm not making any changes to the food I buy and I'm lucky in that I can just do a few hours more work if need be. But my aim is to live simply so I no longer have to chain myself to a computer all day, every day.. Simple living, Small holding and Mindful spending is what I'm aiming for.

I recently looked at everything I spend and realised that I still had one extravagance from my old life and that was the whopping amount I spent on hair cuts for the dogs. I have a lot of dogs, mainly all cute wee rescue types. With 7 getting hair cuts every month, that was a whopping £2520 per annum, not to mention the time taken in ferrying them to and from the groomer. Going to the groomers was just a habit I got into. It was fine when I had 2 dogs, but then I rescued a whole doggy family, So I've now got a decent set of clippers, and a few cheap back up pairs from The Middle Of Lidl. The dogs no longer look like cute wee teddy bears,, they are now fairly scruffy and embracing their inner terrier. And the money I save will go towards polytunnels and the kitchen gardens.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

WomanOfTheWoods wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:29 pm The Middle Of Lidl.

On the Lidl front my parents fell into the online Asda shop. . Well mum decided having been on holiday to pop to Lidl as it's close to home....
Screenshot_20220612-223626.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

That's a lot cheaper! I get only Sainsbugs online and prices there are much higher than your mum's list. There is a Lidl in Kelso but I don't think I would manage to walk round it and then wait at the checkout. :evil:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Good grief! Good to get some individual local research, Y/Andy thank your mum for doing that list, and thank you for posting it. Really something.

I have a Lidl in the next town, about 5 miles away, they moved from the centre of that town to the edge, to a purpose built store. Now I have a bus pass, it wouldn't cost me any more to get there, but even if I wanted to run the gauntlet of the lurgy, it would take all my energy - no going out for walks, no gardening, no research online. Figures are *so* good, I went to Lidl's store locator to check if they've opened one in my town unknown to me :lol:
hobo

Post by hobo »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:53 am That's a lot cheaper! I get only Sainsbugs online and prices there are much higher than your mum's list. There is a Lidl in Kelso but I don't think I would manage to walk round it and then wait at the checkout. :evil:
Sainsbury’s delivery here too, due to disability. Do you use the year delivery pass, Lil? Notice it’s going up this year! It’s still cheaper than £1 pw. We start with looking for offers, then build a meal plan based on that for the 3 of us. Average £50 pw inc a couple of store cupboard items (was £40 last year). A friend usually drops off a Lidl veg box to supplement. Plus there’s whatever the birds and slugs leave us from the allotment! :lol:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:37 pm
WomanOfTheWoods wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:29 pm The Middle Of Lidl.
On the Lidl front my parents fell into the online Asda shop. . Well mum decided having been on holiday to pop to Lidl as it's close to home....

Screenshot_20220612-223626.png
Impressive difference and thank your parents for doing that.
Lidl still lacks some of the brands we are familiar with and not all their own brands are as good, but worth a refreshed review. I'm lucky to have Lidl, Aldi, B&M and Home Bargain within a mile of eachother. My main shopping is ASDA home delivery, but this prompts me to reconsider.
Maybe it's time for a price and quality comparison post. Hmmmmm. I'm onto it.....

[EDIT]..... Groan! Lidl's Online prices make it impossible to look up the simplest of things. E.g. corned Beef. ALDI is a bit better with search facilities, but lack of comparable brands makes it a real PITA. I wonder if they deliberately make it difficult?

This price comparison is going to be a boots on the ground, trudge around exercise.
[/EDIT]
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

hobo wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:02 am Sainsbury’s delivery here too, due to disability. Do you use the year delivery pass, Lil? Notice it’s going up this year! It’s still cheaper than £1 pw. We start with looking for offers, then build a meal plan based on that for the 3 of us. Average £50 pw inc a couple of store cupboard items (was £40 last year). A friend usually drops off a Lidl veg box to supplement. Plus there’s whatever the birds and slugs leave us from the allotment! :lol:
I just pay the £1 saver delivery hobo, and we stick to £40 -ish. Mainly chilled stuff, tins and dry goods or laundry stuff. No meat, no veg, I get that locally. Only the two of us so it's easy.
WomanOfTheWoods

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

I was previously getting Asda home delivery, but their prices are high and the online choice limited. You just don't get the instore bargains.
The quality in Lidl has risen dramatically over the years. Lidl is my Go To choice now.
Even if you only save £30 per week,,, that's a £1560 saving per annum.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

My Asda delivery is monthly - I have a family size fridge freezer for just me alone, so I have the space :oops: and because I'm retired, I get the delivery at the cheapest times - currently Wednesday afternoon, £1.75. Per month, it's fine.