What are your thoughts?

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Re: What are your thoughts?

Post by itsybitsy »

Kiwififer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:17 pm I always thought that there would be conflicts in the coming years, not over oil but something more basic.

Water.
Some poor sods in Peru have to pay almost a week's wages for one days worth of water. There's a Netflix documentary about it. It's heart-breaking.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Seeing as we are talking about the rich and the poor I thought I'd stick in a moment of light relief or "things only a rich person would say" .
One guy I work for is what most would describe as rich although to be fair he has built up from a one man band into a decent sized company now with ( i think ) something like 60 employees. Actually a decent bloke in all honesty.
Anyway when I saw him last week I asked him "did I see you driving round in a white soft top Bentley at the weekend?"
His almost matter of fact reply , " no , my Bentley's black" .
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:07 pm
Kiwififer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:17 pm I always thought that there would be conflicts in the coming years, not over oil but something more basic.

Water.
Some poor sods in Peru have to pay almost a week's wages for one days worth of water. There's a Netflix documentary about it. It's heart-breaking.
Was it this one?
https://youtu.be/n5XlQt9NIYc?t=91

Endemic corruption and a separation between the haves and have nots. A very cruel state of affairs.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Just a couple of short pages have uncovered massive inequalities, haven’t they? I have always thought we were a slow motion car crash, heading for impact, but the pedal seems to be on the metal right now. Thanks to normalcy bias, we don’t like the idea that everything is getting worse,and quickly too. It’s a bit like the frog in a boiling saucepan; It starts warm, and cannot sense when it’s boiling to death.

Back in December 2021, we had a thread that suggested we may have 6% inflation by the end of 2022. Another suggestion was made that a politically biased media was driving this idea. Classic denial of what many of us have seen coming for a while. Or normalcy bias if you like? Of course, we are not half way through 2022, and the reality is that inflation is close to double that 6%, and we still have another 6 months until the end of 2022.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:12 pm Just a couple of short pages have uncovered massive inequalities, haven’t they? I have always thought we were a slow motion car crash, heading for impact, but the pedal seems to be on the metal right now. Thanks to normalcy bias, we don’t like the idea that everything is getting worse,and quickly too. It’s a bit like the frog in a boiling saucepan; It starts warm, and cannot sense when it’s boiling to death.

Back in December 2021, we had a thread that suggested we may have 6% inflation by the end of 2022. Another suggestion was made that a politically biased media was driving this idea. Classic denial of what many of us have seen coming for a while. Or normalcy bias if you like? Of course, we are not half way through 2022, and the reality is that inflation is close to double that 6%, and we still have another 6 months until the end of 2022.
No offense meant to anybody, but may it be that preppers, here, tend to not be in the poorest quartile of society, and so WE may not be the ones suffering 10% inflation, nor are we the ones going hungry or without power. Recent news articles have been eye openers to the problems that will hit the poorer first.
We need to stay aware of that, because we may be next.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

As someone who is on income support as a now single parent but who also works full time I count myself lucky that whilst I am reigning in my spending somewhat that I am very very lucky.

Unfortunatly for me I can see price rises are really going to affect me and have decided not to apply for another job that would pay more at the moment because I am worried about being on probation in case it goes wrong and I lose it. Better the devil you know and all that

The fact I collect olio is somewhat of a relief and having been poor before I know how to curb it.

Currently I am making many blankets for winter so we don't need heating.
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:59 pm
jansman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:12 pm Just a couple of short pages have uncovered massive inequalities, haven’t they? I have always thought we were a slow motion car crash, heading for impact, but the pedal seems to be on the metal right now. Thanks to normalcy bias, we don’t like the idea that everything is getting worse,and quickly too. It’s a bit like the frog in a boiling saucepan; It starts warm, and cannot sense when it’s boiling to death.

No offense meant to anybody, but may it be that preppers, here, tend to not be in the poorest quartile of society, and so WE may not be the ones suffering 10% inflation, nor are we the ones going hungry or without power. Recent news articles have been eye openers to the problems that will hit the poorer first.
We need to stay aware of that, because we may be next.
Whoa ! We have members here who sail close to the wind in the financial sense.We are currently subsidising our youngest daughter,and the eldest ain’t too far behind. As for ourselves; our kids earn more than us,but they have mahoosive rents. Back in the day ,their incomes would have secured a mortgage, but now their fuel bills are an added burden on top of rent.

Mrs J and me are not poor,but we are not wealthy according to economic statistics either. Preppers may not come across as hard up - in the main - but their lifestyle bends them towards resource security. That alone puts them ahead of the pack,regardless of income.

Yes,we could be next. My wife has dealt with cancer,this last three years,and fortunately she gets paid when sick. If that happened to me,we are in trouble. No work ,no pay. And savings won’t last long either. Many on this prepping site are even more vulnerable than that. It’s why they prepare.

So yes,we ARE aware of the fragility of life,thank you

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:44 pm
Whoa ! We have members here who sail close to the wind in the financial sense.

Ooops. Sorry folks. Me and my dumb-ass assumptions. Really, no offense meant to anyone, member or non-member.

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:50 pm
jansman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:44 pm
Whoa ! We have members here who sail close to the wind in the financial sense.

Ooops. Sorry folks. Me and my dumb-ass assumptions. Really, no offense meant to anyone, member or non-member.
No problem. It’s easy to make assumptions.

Robert Frost.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I lost my job I'd just got the first lockdown and worked at Tesco for a year on just above minimum wage, and then, when I managed to secure a full time job, STILL had to work at Tesco on a weekend, because even a full time job on minimum wage wasn't enough to live on (before I got my current position) so yes, I am aware of how bad it can be for some. I was fortunate in that I had a good lump of cash in the bank, but had I not had that I would absolutely buggered.

Prep on folks. You're all doing exactly the right thing and things are only going to get worse. Sending my best to you all.