Cheap solar battery charging

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Rusty74

Re: Cheap solar battery charging

Post by Rusty74 »

jansman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:36 pm
Rusty74 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:18 pm 80w solar charger came today(duno if it is 80w)set it up bearing in mind its been over cast here today but it put 30% into a power bank in around 4hrs,that id bought from bnm for £12,so not a bad 1st attempt at solar charging
The Goodmans B and M chargers are ok. I have 3
yes thats the one i have bought to try this out,the kids looked at me and said "oh dads getting into the 21st centuay at last" cheeky buggers lol
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Rusty74 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:41 pm
Rusty74 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:18 pm 80w solar charger came today(duno if it is 80w)set it up bearing in mind its been over cast here today but it put 30% into a power bank in around 4hrs,that id bought from bnm for £12,so not a bad 1st attempt at solar charging
yes thats the one i have bought to try this out,the kids looked at me and said "oh dads getting into the 21st centuay at last" cheeky buggers lol
I keep them in to power emergency lighting, and recharge batteries for torches etc. I have others, but at 12 quid, they do the biz.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

jansman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:52 pm

I keep them in to power emergency lighting, and recharge batteries for torches etc. I have others, but at 12 quid, they do the biz.
this the same thing im planning with them,so now the test run seems to work ok so will buy a few more along with the solar panel chargers,have just ordered some usb light bulbs,as i seem to have a focus on lighting this month what with the hurricane lamps lol and looked in my stash and forgot i had esso blue parrafin about 2litres of it left
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Rusty74 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:59 pm
jansman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:52 pm

this the same thing im planning with them,so now the test run seems to work ok so will buy a few more along with the solar panel chargers,have just ordered some usb light bulbs,as i seem to have a focus on lighting this month what with the hurricane lamps lol and looked in my stash and forgot i had esso blue parrafin about 2litres of it left
The usb lightbulbs are spot on.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Is that the 10,000mah ones with solar panel on one side? Was looking at them this weekend just gone but I was good and resisted :lol: what's the inbuilt solar like is it as poor as I'm guessing been small
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:23 pm
Is that the 10,000mah ones with solar panel on one side? Was looking at them this weekend just gone but I was good and resisted :lol: what's the inbuilt solar like is it as poor as I'm guessing been small
this is the 10,000mah one but without the solar panel on it
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Rusty74 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:46 am

Well I fell into b&m today they had 2x different 10,000mah power banks one with a funky led/ LCD power display and another a ipx5 water resistant one with the built in solar panel. Bit chunkier but given its water resistant and solar guess which I went for :lol: ok it's only a 1 watt panel but shtf one watt is better than no watts and been waterproof the upstairs windowsill will be a fitting safe place to leave it if needed

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/goo ... ck-3817291

All the boxes were damaged lass on the till looked at me like I'd done it as she tried to get into the box know the wife has said at her place people try to stash high value stuff within a cheap item .. perhaps pulling the lansky world legal knife out my pocket to open the box telling her to chuck the packaging in the bin wasn't the best idea but it was automatic the knife gets hammered at work :oops:

Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:45 pm
Rusty74 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:46 am

Well I fell into b&m today they had 2x different 10,000mah power banks one with a funky led/ LCD power display and another a ipx5 water resistant one with the built in solar panel. Bit chunkier but given its water resistant and solar guess which I went for :lol: ok it's only a 1 watt panel but shtf one watt is better than no watts and been waterproof the upstairs windowsill will be a fitting safe place to leave it if needed

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/goo ... ck-3817291

All the boxes were damaged lass on the till looked at me like I'd done it as she tried to get into the box know the wife has said at her place people try to stash high value stuff within a cheap item .. perhaps pulling the lansky world legal knife out my pocket to open the box telling her to chuck the packaging in the bin wasn't the best idea but it was automatic the knife gets hammered at work :oops:
iv picked 3 more of the power banks up with the fancy led screen to bring my total to 4 now,kids look at me daft and welcome me out the dark ages,plan on buying two more of them solar charges off ebay again and plan on caring on playing about with solar stuff lol
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I still like the cheap china panels for what they are .. they are almost disposable in terms of price

Longevity wise one I use to trickle charge aa or AAA batteries is starting to yellow guessing that the UV killing the clear plastic gell
Screenshot_20220526-235411.png

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:01 pm Latest addition....

I guess a question for Yorkshire Andy...
... You know how I buy everything you link to...? :D :D

Well, I bought one of these, no regrets, but with my newly bought multimeter, I sort of tested it.....

It looks like it throws 5V straight at the 1.5V batteries and maybe limits the current to about 110mA each(constant current?). The LED lights never go green or out. So I suspect they are brute force chargers. After a few hours the batteries were all warm. Does that tell me that the batteries might be getting over- charged?

I opened the battery charger up, as you do... And there doesn't seem to be any electronics in there at all. apart from the lamps.

Should we ever trust these to leave batteries on trickle charge. I'm leaning towards 'probably not'

I understand that rechargeables can take some abuse, but were these false economy?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong