First Aid courses

Medical and Healthcare
PrepDad

First Aid courses

Post by PrepDad »

Hi does anyone know of any good first aid courses that are a bit more advanced than the basic first aid at work? I've held several FAW courses in the past and find them to be a bit too basic, and also only tend to cover adult first aid. some companies near me do offer custom courses but these would be a tad more expensive seeing as its only for me and do not come with a recognized qualification. I have thought of going through St Johns ambulance as a volunteer however my current work rotation would probably not allow for it.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: First Aid courses

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frec 3 is the next hop up from the faaw qualification

But they all train expecting that a yellow box with blue lights will come at some point..
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
PrepDad

Post by PrepDad »

Thats fantastic help thank you
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

I did paediatric and outdoor first aid which is a 2 day course. (£165 though for the two certificates so not cheep, I know.) That covers of the younger folk and also looks a bit more at catastrophic bleeding, outdoor related injuries. But I understand the the 2 or 3 day first aid course tend to look at that anyway these days, with the idea of knife crime and terrorist attack first aid. I know we covered those points and discussed them in my paediatric and outdoor first aid that I did for Forest school training. We were shown an Israeli Bandage and how to apply and talked through the do and don'ts of tourniquet usage.

I joined St John Ambulance some years ago and volunteered for a year and a half with them until I wasn't able to commit my time. That was brilliant as you get your first aid certificate (though at work, I still had to do a separate one to cover paediatric specific stuff.) What was great about being at St John, was that I learnt loads from paramedics and various other medical professionals, who volunteered their time with the organisation and we often had really interesting talks and discussions at each week's meeting. I have no idea how things are since the pandemic as I haven't been a member for a number of years now but I would recommend joining as a point for gaining knowledge and confidence and also, you're doing something amazing to help others.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)