What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:39 pm
diamond lil wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:11 pm Well I've been watching the Russia/Ukraine thing and today I had a wobble. Thinking how easy this is going to be to slip into a world war, so I've hit Sainbugs for £60 of extra food and water. Included lots of rice and cuppa soups.
Sadly, I thought the same. :(
Yep, me too :(
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

British Red wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:36 pm For me it's

Two stroke oil
Darn it. :!: :!: :!: THANK YOU! You reminded me I have NO petrol reserved for the generator, since my car is diesel and so are my fuel reserves!
I do have the 2-stroke oil though. :roll:
Time to get another jerry can for petrol. Hmmmmm.

Legal restrictions! Damn.
Up to 30 Litres comprising 2x5L plastic container 1x20L Metal container. Toolstation site says illegal to transport >10L without a license??? That sounds wrong.

OR store 275L if you inform your local Petrol Enforcement Agency. I wonder if they ever say no?

No such restrictions on Diesel!

Petrol Storage regulations
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
British Red

Post by British Red »

I understand that the reason that they are informed is at least in part in case there is a fire so that they know of the risk
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

If I can shake the cold I currently have I will be out to top up on

Solid fats,
Nido
Beans/lentils (most of the current stash is over date and down to be eaten up asap)
Tinned ham. This has gone out of date and was put out to be used up. The sons are wading through it surprisingly fast in stir frys and omelettes so it must be good stuff.
Super glue - it repairs so many things.
Maybe some more butane for the briefcase stove, but I should really just get our old camping 2 ring reconditioned and connected to the big propane cylinder instead. I have all the parts but have not gotten around to it.
Maybe some more charcoal - since the husband is prone to using it to sit araound a fire pit of an evening.

I reviewed the food stash a week ago. Next to review the meds and cleaning/hygeine stashes but I don't think they are in too bad shape.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Powdered egg substitute, each pack makes 1l of liquid eggs

25 packs for £25, £1 a packet

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175195842599 ... %3A2047675
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

rik_uk3 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:14 pm Powdered egg substitute, each pack makes 1l of liquid eggs

25 packs for £25, £1 a packet

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175195842599 ... %3A2047675
Thanks Rik,
That is remarkable. They are sending a 5.85kg case of the stuff for £25 !
Similar product here at 3x the price
It's very VERY much cheaper than real powdered egg which is typically £16 per kg.

Two concerns though: The expiry date is August this year and standard BBE is 3 years out ( Though it supposedly lasts far longer) : It's not egg. It's 42% soy protien and some other stuff with some egg whites.

I haven't the first clue as to how good it would be. I might regret this, but I'll pass on this.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

I've ordered 18 x 450gm packs of strawberry jam for £20, and 45 x mash spuds for £50 which is cheap as chips. The seller has a load of really well priced items at the moment but I'd guess its a one off so I'll go through the sale items today and order a few bits and bobs. The spuds mixes with 1.8l of water which is a lot of spud.

I'm guessing the eggs will last well past the UBD because as you said its not eggs so I'd not worry too much on that.
Richard
South Wales UK
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

rik_uk3 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:34 am I've ordered 18 x 450gm packs of strawberry jam for £20, and 45 x mash spuds for £50 which is cheap as chips. The seller has a load of really well priced items at the moment but I'd guess its a one off so I'll go through the sale items today and order a few bits and bobs. The spuds mixes with 1.8l of water which is a lot of spud.

I'm guessing the eggs will last well past the UBD because as you said its not eggs so I'd not worry too much on that.
Well worth a looksee at their other stock. Thanks. It would be easy to go a bit nuts at £50 or so per case!

The other source of that egg substitute actually said "As these are military spec rations they are only ever printed with a 3 year best before date, and although some may be close to this date, they are designed to be consumed safely for 20 years plus. "

I look forward to your report from the great unboxing and sampling session :)

Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

I'm currently on holiday in the UK with family. Frustrated I don't have the car as flew over though :? :roll:

Once I get home ill be doing a top up shop. Feeling a bit on edge with Ukraine. Hoping nothing happens whilst I'm away from home!
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

I was in Wilko first thing and they had a load of seedlings reduced to clear because they were bone dry and wilting; I picked up 6 pepper and 3 chili for 5p each :) Home before ten, repotted and watered and by this afternoon they had all perked right up. I'd got ten pepper and six chili plants on the go but I've the room so 45p well spent I think.

Gardens down here in Wales I guess are about a month behind parts of England but this last week everything has kicked into top gear; cucumbers and gherkins have shot up, lettuce too and the tom plants are looking good. Peas are thriving and will crop early and I'll plant a second lot in June.

The biggest problem I have is age, at 67 I ache a lot more than I did even five years ago LOL It just takes me a bit longer these days with more coffee stops than before ;)
Richard
South Wales UK