Advice for a hopeless gardener

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Re: Advice for a hopeless gardener

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:02 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:56 am His sister Connie has popped a leaf above ground. There was ZERO visibility of Connie yesterday!
And in the blink of an eye..... Meet Cora.
OMG. These babies are incredible. Imagine how excited I'll be when they get babies of their own.
I knew germinating seeds could be fast, but these are insanely fast to break through. Why can't all my seeds be so full of life?
There's two more courgette seeds in that tray.
Meet Caz! Far left.
I'm amazed! Curtis is now >5cm high and he's joined here by Connie, Cora, and latest sister Caz.
Stage right is Oscar the Okra photo-bombing.
This is literally 2 days worth of growth since Curtis popped his head above ground.

Have sown some leeks in the window greenhouse.

Feeling joyous and hopeful!
family.jpg
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Your seeds are germinating because this is the correct time to sow them. You can’t beat nature. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:46 pm Your seeds are germinating because this is the correct time to sow them. You can’t beat nature. :D
You keep telling me. One day it might sink in.
Being serious for a moment:
Typical veg crop July - October with some stuff prospering outside of that. I don't exactly aspire to be self sufficient, but as a proper prepper, I should consider how to have some sort of useful harvest all year round. I read from members who grow enough tomatoes to be able to make year long passata stash. That's in my wildest dreams.
I'm not exactly growing what I eat. E.g. parsnips and turnips are a once a year grocery shop. But I'm throwing lots of variety down to see what works.

Some of you guys know how to stretch the season and maybe even get two crops from one plot. I'd love some tips on that.

In other news, OH has orders to pee in the composter at least once per day :D :D ( It's in a fairly discreet spot). He earns one bottle of beer per event. But he's also under orders not to be caught by the neighbours. I know. I know. I should too, but, well, you know. :D :D
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

**boogies in to send positive vibes to Caz**
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:13 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:46 pm Your seeds are germinating because this is the correct time to sow them. You can’t beat nature. :D
You keep telling me. One day it might sink in.
Being serious for a moment:
Typical veg crop July - October with some stuff prospering outside of that. I don't exactly aspire to be self sufficient, but as a proper prepper, I should consider how to have some sort of useful harvest all year round. I read from members who grow enough tomatoes to be able to make year long passata stash. That's in my wildest dreams.
I'm not exactly growing what I eat. E.g. parsnips and turnips are a once a year grocery shop. But I'm throwing lots of variety down to see what works.

Some of you guys know how to stretch the season and maybe even get two crops from one plot. I'd love some tips on that.

In other news, OH has orders to pee in the composter at least once per day :D :D ( It's in a fairly discreet spot). He earns one bottle of beer per event. But he's also under orders not to be caught by the neighbours. I know. I know. I should too, but, well, you know. :D :D
I used to grow a lot of tomatoes,and store them,but even on that scale,there was no way we could have been self sufficient. This year I am growing just four Gardeners Delight tomatoes,and that’ll do. There’s only us two now.The time processing was a factor too.As for succession sowing ,for me,July and August is the time. I will sow,Pak Choi ,lambs lettuce, Winter lettuce ( they will be under cover),Spring cabbage,Black Spanish Radish, and more perpetual spinach and kale. Then there will be the dried beans to eat,Winter Squash and spuds.

Robert Frost.

Me.
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

Hewee works much better than shewee as an activator. Don't know why but it does
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

mbbaltic wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:22 pm Hewee works much better than shewee as an activator. Don't know why but it does
Different acidity, apparently.

While researching that, I found this amusing snippet...

"If you don't have a penis, you can pee in a bucket and then get someone who does have a penis to make use of his superior upper body strength and haul it out to the compost for ya."

:lol: :roll:

jansman

Post by jansman »

Dear god...you really don't have fellas standing in the garden doing that? I thought it was obvious to pee into a bucket and take it there :?

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

If anybody else in here is a Wilt fan, there's a dire warning in one of the books on what can happen to men who do this.. :twisted: :twisted:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:53 am Dear god...you really don't have fellas standing in the garden doing that? I thought it was obvious to pee into a bucket and take it there :?
LMAO. NOT ME!