How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

For all things financial
diamond lil

Re: How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

Post by diamond lil »

Me too.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Le Mouse wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:07 am
jansman wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:45 am Here is an interesting’article’ by Jack Monroe,the Bootstrap Cook. https://cookingonabootstrap.com/ It’s in the form of a series of’tweets’ ,but worth a read. It contains one or two expletives by the way…

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2022/01/20/ja ... inflation/
I've been following this on Twitter. Jack is now coming up with a new price index (the 'Vimes Boots Index') to counter the 'official' price index: https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... dApp_Other

Jack is amazing :mrgreen:
Yes She asked the Pratchett estate to use the Vimes Boot explanation which they easily gave their permission to. The late Sir terry Pratchett saw these sorts of social injustices and incorporated them into his fantasy world. He was very good at commenting on how religion/politics and social interaction worked through his storylines. His Discworld is a mirror to our world in many ways but just in a fantasy setting.

"Jack is amazing :mrgreen: " Agreed, Jack is brilliant! Great ideas of how to budget cook and make what little you have go further.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Looks like Jack Monroe has rattled a cage door

Worst to come for food price rises, Tesco boss says https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60279019
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I've succumbed to the general pressure being exerted from the world at large and have stopped having the heating on during the day in order to save a bit of ££ on the gas bill. I never thought I'd see the day when I did that - I've always said I'll scrimp on some stuff, but not heating, yet here we are. :shock: Unprecedented times.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

itsybitsy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:48 pm I've succumbed to the general pressure being exerted from the world at large and have stopped having the heating on during the day in order to save a bit of ££ on the gas bill. I never thought I'd see the day when I did that - I've always said I'll scrimp on some stuff, but not heating, yet here we are. :shock: Unprecedented times.
this was one thing i insisted on with the wife when we bought our place years ago,i opened the coal fire places up and put log burners in and a rayburn stove in the back kitchen, which runs central heating and heats the hot water when running,these are the same things i grew up with,so to me 2nd nature and to me cutting and splitting logs keeps me warm in the winter,though i do drive the wife mad if i see a fallen limb and im trying to get it into the back off my van when she with me but to me i see it as free fuel,the only thing we ever really use the gas for is the hob on the cooker and even that iv been thinking of doing away with the gas supply and hooking that up to propane bottles like at our caravan
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Rusty I had coal heating and a propane gas cooker, I really miss it but I think now, with the gas cylinders, you're stuck with ever rising prices. Every time we got a new cylinder the price was up and that will be worse now.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:28 am Rusty I had coal heating and a propane gas cooker, I really miss it but I think now, with the gas cylinders, you're stuck with ever rising prices. Every time we got a new cylinder the price was up and that will be worse now.
Nothing is cheap ,especially where fuel is concerned. I am lucky in that I don’t pay for firewood- at the moment- but I know that those who do,are paying more.Coal is creeping up too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Am curious to know if many people fixed their gas/elec last year
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I managed to fix mine last September for a year. This was on the advice of the Martin Lewis newsletter. At the time it looked to save maybe a fiver on the year but I could not see prices improving. I am now viewing it as a window to get my profligate family trained on energy saving before prices almost double for us when it ends.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

No, I didn't fix prices last year - by the time a new fix was on my timetable, Martin was advising the same as he does now, to stay on the standard rate for almost everyone. I like him, I trust his openness about his decision making, so I just sat here and did nowt :mrgreen: