How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

For all things financial
jansman

Re: How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:45 pm
rik_uk3 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:50 pm

Do you need to go to Tesco for a small shop when you can pay £7.99 a month for unlimited deliveries to your door?. Asda do the 'Delivery Pass' and Iceland is free delivery on orders over £40 IIRC. One shop a week instead of several top up trips costing you fuel so sit down and plan a menu,
I've always walked to do a top up shop unless I'm driving past on my way home or need something bulky...

I've got Asda, farmfoods, Iceland, B&m and home bargains plus bargain booze all about a 10m walk in random directions from home ... Add another 5 minutes I've got Tesco which I've not used since the we will mug you if you don't have a club card was launched I was totally oblivious until I got to the till ...

One problem with the top up up shop if I end up driving past Lidl or Aldi I always get more than I went in for :oops: :lol:

The menu planning works well for us when doing a big shop makes it easy to spend wisely and avoid waste Sunday lunch left overs become a stew / curry on Monday night for example
I carry a bow saw in the car. On my 25 mile rural commute,there is always firewood to bring back.Always. I make a point of never coming back empty- handed.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:49 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:45 pm
rik_uk3 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:50 pm

Do you need to go to Tesco for a small shop when you can pay £7.99 a month for unlimited deliveries to your door?. Asda do the 'Delivery Pass' and Iceland is free delivery on orders over £40 IIRC. One shop a week instead of several top up trips costing you fuel so sit down and plan a menu,
I've always walked to do a top up shop unless I'm driving past on my way home or need something bulky...

I've got Asda, farmfoods, Iceland, B&m and home bargains plus bargain booze all about a 10m walk in random directions from home ... Add another 5 minutes I've got Tesco which I've not used since the we will mug you if you don't have a club card was launched I was totally oblivious until I got to the till ...

One problem with the top up up shop if I end up driving past Lidl or Aldi I always get more than I went in for :oops: :lol:

The menu planning works well for us when doing a big shop makes it easy to spend wisely and avoid waste Sunday lunch left overs become a stew / curry on Monday night for example
I carry a bow saw in the car. On my 25 mile rural commute,there is always firewood to bring back.Always. I make a point of never coming back empty- handed.

Dont Blame you keep your eye out in Lidl for their battery chain saw when they get them in again can't fault it for light work .. quick easy clean and next to no effort

Bet your like a man possessed after a windy night :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Just putting forward ideas to save money.

If gas boilers are banned then we'll end up paying more than we do now, air heat exchangers are not great in the UK and electricity is super expensive.

My house is three story Victorian built in 1903, end terrace and I heat the whole house because its long term cost effective (less damp issues) and nicer to live in.

I lived for 12 years in a Welsh farmhouse, 2 foot thick stone walls, open fire in main room, Aga in kitchen, those rooms were toasty warm, the rest of the place was an ice cave in winter so sod that, been there, seen it, bought the tee shirt and I ain't going back to living like that when there is no need. Parents did fit central heating in the end and it was a different world then with the whole house warm.

Talking of keeping warm, I have an old RAB down duvet jacket, red in colour, size large thats doing nothing, got it back in the 90s, used but not abused if its any use to an established member they can have it for £10 to cover courier costs, PM me. Its a four season jacket, worked for me at -20c.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Supermarket deliveries: I have one, maybe two deliveries a month. Because I'm retired, I can choose the cheap-rate ones, which are Asda, at £1.75 - I'm sorry, it beats a delivery pass hollow.

Fabrics to use to keep warm - duvets are a great idea. what about creating an extra cushion of insulation under the feet, once your OH is sitting down? When I'm ill, even though I can feel that the room is warm, my feet can be freezing.

Do you (or your local charity shops) have any pure wool clothes? When we were distributing my mum's stuff after she died, I got hold of the 100% wool tartan rug that we had picnics on when we were children. And in her wardrobe, there were lots of charity shop finds (rich area, charity shops were really well stocked!) It was a huge amount of pleated 100% wool, again in tartan, done up into a skirt. I kept it, even though I never wear skirts - as a prepping item, it will be really valuable when I get around to the crafting.
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

Ive been shopping today. The cost increase is quite staggering
Quill

Post by Quill »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:14 pm And in her wardrobe, there were lots of charity shop finds (rich area, charity shops were really well stocked!)
That's a really good shout tbh, rich areas have by far the best charity shop finds.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:14 pm Supermarket deliveries: I have one, maybe two deliveries a month. Because I'm retired, I can choose the cheap-rate ones, which are Asda, at £1.75 - I'm sorry, it beats a delivery pass hollow.
:D
Fabrics to use to keep warm - duvets are a great idea. what about creating an extra cushion of insulation under the feet, once your OH is sitting down? When I'm ill, even though I can feel that the room is warm, my feet can be freezing.

Do you (or your local charity shops) have any pure wool clothes? When we were distributing my mum's stuff after she died, I got hold of the 100% wool tartan rug that we had picnics on when we were children. And in her wardrobe, there were lots of charity shop finds (rich area, charity shops were really well stocked!) It was a huge amount of pleated 100% wool, again in tartan, done up into a skirt. I kept it, even though I never wear skirts - as a prepping item, it will be really valuable when I get around to the crafting.
Mrs J is an avid seamstress.She crochets blankets at an industrial rate! They make a difference.

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

A couple of years ago I had to work in my London office with no heating (air con failure) The little plug in radiators were provided but only helped if you actually tucked them under your desk and there were not enough for one each. A pair of thermal tights or leggings under my clothes made a huge difference to my comfort and now help on colder work from home days.
We also keep an assortment of blankets & quilts on the sofa to keep warm under and it is not unusua for one of us to request a short cuddle under a quilt to warm up if feeling cold.
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:41 am A couple of years ago I had to work in my London office with no heating (air con failure) The little plug in radiators were provided but only helped if you actually tucked them under your desk and there were not enough for one each. A pair of thermal tights or leggings under my clothes made a huge difference to my comfort and now help on colder work from home days.
We also keep an assortment of blankets & quilts on the sofa to keep warm under and it is not unusua for one of us to request a short cuddle under a quilt to warm up if feeling cold.
Thermal underwear is an old fashioned game changer. It must be rough if you sit down for your work and there is no heating. In fact,if I remember the Factory Act ,if most of your work is done seated ,then the minimum working temperature is 16 degrees- someone correct me if I am wrong please. However,as usual,I digress :lol:

My own job is in an unheated environment,in fact much of the time ,we work inside fridges and freezers,so good,old school long johns and layered clothing are the order of the day. Maybe folks will realise they have to wear more clothes as time goes by?

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:05 pm
GillyBee wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:41 am A couple of years ago I had to work in my London office with no heating (air con failure) The little plug in radiators were provided but only helped if you actually tucked them under your desk and there were not enough for one each. A pair of thermal tights or leggings under my clothes made a huge difference to my comfort and now help on colder work from home days.
Thermal underwear is an old fashioned game changer. It must be rough if you sit down for your work and there is no heating. In fact,if I remember the Factory Act ,if most of your work is done seated ,then the minimum working temperature is 16 degrees- someone correct me if I am wrong please. However,as usual,I digress :lol:

My own job is in an unheated environment,in fact much of the time ,we work inside fridges and freezers,so good,old school long johns and layered clothing are the order of the day. Maybe folks will realise they have to wear more clothes as time goes by?

Hswa say the temperature should be "reasonable" the 16°c for sedimentary work is a ACOP not a legal minimum or a set level enshrined in legislation.. as many people think when they spit their dummy out at work.

If the temperature can't be maintained at a reasonable level :lol: the employer should provide adequate PPE (read warm clothing like cold store boots jacket trousers ) :lol: :lol: :lol: and rewarming facilities remember working in a cold storage place walking outside on a Warming break to 6" of snow and it feeling like a summers day :shock:

My current work get up is Lidl ski base layers, wool socks army surplus softie type trousers and a pair of work trousers over them. . top half long sleeve base layer thick t shirt hoodie and a cotton high vis jacket .. if it gets really cold it's a thin wool jumper and a fleece jacket that does me most winters

And I'm outside 80% of the day...

We won't go onto the lad who was working with me that decided to tell me to close the fing door last week despite calling for me to help him I walked away before I belew a gasket
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine