How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

For all things financial
jansman

Re: How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:25 pm Jan's right. Simple is very definitely better. But you only come to see that when you've been through the mill.
Indeed you do.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Absolutely. I'm now in the middle of the petsitting gig, and because I know of old how to stroke small animals, the wabbit loves me. As for toys ... his best toy, that he flings all over the run, is half a dozen rabbit pellets in an old egg box - the smell, the noise as they rattle around, its brilliant for him :mrgreen:

Same for humans: acceptance, thinking about genuine needs, thinking about being social.
Tommywoodsman

Post by Tommywoodsman »

Simple but something really effective for us was just starting to grow and produce more food in our garden. Definitely slashed the shopping bill abit.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

For anyone wanting to save on the cost (monetary and waste) of gift wrap, and who has old scarves, check out the Japanese art of Furishiko. I can only do two wraps but they both went down very well and the stash of fabric squares and bags meant we used amost no gift wrap this year.
https://blog.spoonflower.com/2019/11/6- ... furoshiki/
Next I need to separate the Christmas themed fabrics from the general ones as birthday season is next on the horizon and the general use squares and bags will get another outing.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Going to have to re-do the budget here. Husband not well at all and feeling the cold, snowing outside and I need to keep him warm. We've already doubled the D/D but I can see it going even higher. So am sitting working out menu plans and will hit the charity shops soon for any warm woollens I can find.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:08 am Going to have to re-do the budget here. Husband not well at all and feeling the cold, snowing outside and I need to keep him warm. We've already doubled the D/D but I can see it going even higher. So am sitting working out menu plans and will hit the charity shops soon for any warm woollens I can find.
Sorry to hear that.

Second Duvet? Even use it in the living room.

I have two on my bed a 15 tog and a 10.5 tog IIRC overkill but I'm never cold.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Oh that's a good idea pseud, there's a spare 13tog one under the bed. Will haul it oot! :mrgreen:
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

If your home is double glazed and pretty well insulated don't be tempted to heat one room. The cold rooms will attract condensation = damp and every time you open the door of the warm room heat is sucked out instantly.

Running a 1Kw heater in a single room will cost you about 20p an hour to run, if your house is warm your gas central heating will tick over at about 25p an hour for the whole house with the double glazing (and heavy lined curtains) and any insulation you have retaining the heat.

Other simple things to help I'm sure your aware of are things like only running a dishwasher or washing machine when full, only fill electric kettles with the water you need for that brew, heat 500ml and not 2l. Use a microwave if you can and a pressure cooker too, both will save energy.

Do you need to go to Tesco for a small shop when you can pay £7.99 a month for unlimited deliveries to your door?. Asda do the 'Delivery Pass' and Iceland is free delivery on orders over £40 IIRC. One shop a week instead of several top up trips costing you fuel so sit down and plan a menu, book your slots well in advance and save money. I book slots at least three weeks ahead of delivery date and you can change the order up to around 23:00 the night before delivery so items marked out of stock yesterday may well be in stock when you change the order.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
jansman

Post by jansman »

rik_uk3 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:50 pm If your home is double glazed and pretty well insulated don't be tempted to heat one room. The cold rooms will attract condensation = damp and every time you open the door of the warm room heat is sucked out instantly.

Running a 1Kw heater in a single room will cost you about 20p an hour to run, if your house is warm your gas central heating will tick over at about 25p an hour for the whole house with the double glazing (and heavy lined curtains) and any insulation you have retaining the heat.

Other simple things to help I'm sure your aware of are things like only running a dishwasher or washing machine when full, only fill electric kettles with the water you need for that brew, heat 500ml and not 2l. Use a microwave if you can and a pressure cooker too, both will save energy.

Do you need to go to Tesco for a small shop when you can pay £7.99 a month for unlimited deliveries to your door?. Asda do the 'Delivery Pass' and Iceland is free delivery on orders over £40 IIRC. One shop a week instead of several top up trips costing you fuel so sit down and plan a menu, book your slots well in advance and save money. I book slots at least three weeks ahead of delivery date and you can change the order up to around 23:00 the night before delivery so items marked out of stock yesterday may well be in stock when you change the order.
We only heat the rooms we are in. This place is WELL over a hundred years old,( farm workers cottage built of local granite)and it was good enough for the original inhabitants.We are ( as my dear wife puts it) tough country people,just like they were.They wore more clothes than modern people too, which may well become a new normal in time.Mind you,we burn mainly wood,which is free ( although the coal we supplement it with costs.). Heating costs are an issue for many households right now,and come April ,it would seem that it will be an even bigger issue when the energy price cap is reviewed.”Running a 1 kw heater will cost about 20p per hour” is well out of date. I am on standard tariff,as my fix ended. Cheap was 25p per hour.Thats six quid a day or 42 quid a week.For one room.So for the rooms without the multi fuel stoves,that is £168 a week using electricity.For now.We have a looming energy crisis ,and in the fullness of time ,the ubiquitous gas central heating may well be consigned to the history books.Indeed ,new - build houses will not be allowed boilers from 2025.

https://www.edfenergy.com/heating/advice/uk-boiler-ban

When we are importing liquid natural gas on ships,then it’s time to be concerned . Electricity is where our leaders are pushing us to.

Many houses will not be suitable for air source heat pumps ,and retro fitting is damned expensive.15 grand is an average by what I read. We will keep heating one room as needed,and be thankful,as many,many families cannot do even that right now.I am thankful that I can chuck another log onto that roaring stove. :D indeed, even that may become an eco crime in our New Green Utopia.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

rik_uk3 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:50 pm

Do you need to go to Tesco for a small shop when you can pay £7.99 a month for unlimited deliveries to your door?. Asda do the 'Delivery Pass' and Iceland is free delivery on orders over £40 IIRC. One shop a week instead of several top up trips costing you fuel so sit down and plan a menu,
I've always walked to do a top up shop unless I'm driving past on my way home or need something bulky...

I've got Asda, farmfoods, Iceland, B&m and home bargains plus bargain booze all about a 10m walk in random directions from home ... Add another 5 minutes I've got Tesco which I've not used since the we will mug you if you don't have a club card was launched I was totally oblivious until I got to the till ...

One problem with the top up up shop if I end up driving past Lidl or Aldi I always get more than I went in for :oops: :lol:

The menu planning works well for us when doing a big shop makes it easy to spend wisely and avoid waste Sunday lunch left overs become a stew / curry on Monday night for example
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine