What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Smudge

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Smudge »

Wood and coal arrived, we should be set for the worst.
Pickled some Eggs going out of date.
Restarted online reselling (clothes mainly). Ecommerce/ side hussle
Bought nest tables for up-cycling & resale. Ecommerce/ side hussle
Started putting away some water-bottles (home filled).
Keeping ontop of cupboards.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:49 pm Jansman - how do you pickle eggs?
Dead easy lil: https://www.sarsons.co.uk/recipes/pickled-eggs

I don’t put thyme in mine though,just a sprinkle of dry chillies into the vinegar. When they are done,I just store them in the pantry. I love ‘em with a cheese or ham sandwich.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:56 am Last week, I bought four dozen 30litre collapsible storage crates from Lidl. A steal at £2.50 each*. So, I've been rearranging my food storage, chucking out some of the big stackable cardboard fruit trays and replacing them with these. I still like and use those cardboard trays, but they are not helpful in food rotation: Too heavy if the one you need to access is buried under two others. Also, they get damp softened and collapse after about a year.
I've discovered my local fruit and veg man chucks out the stackable plastic mushroom trays. Terrible waste and handy for storing smaller stuff. So I'm having him set me some aside. about 10litres

*. Sorry all. I should have told you about those bargain crates. Gone now.
jansman wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:11 am ...I am making an inventory of stores. I want to keep on top of it,as last week I spent a good few quid filling gaps.Just a simple tally of often used items.
Show us your list. I'll show you mine :) Might remind us what we have missed.
along with the excellent beetroot I have grown this year.
To harvest or not to harvest? That is the question. Mine went in 31 July and are now decent golf ball sized. 'The man on the internet' says they can be left in the ground, but that can sap the sugar content. The other 'man on the internet' says harvest after 90 days. I'm thinking there's little to be lost or gained leaving them in the ground a little while, except it's just a bit of storage time extension. Something's been nibbling the leaves, I think caterpillars, bless 'em..... I reckon I'll pull them up next week.
Those mushroom crates are everywhere. Any restaurant or cafe ,where they do a fry up will have them to go in the bin. We do do a dozen a week at least,and 2/3 gallon lidded buckets by the score. Just got to ask,as they now present a waste disposal problem.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:44 pm Those mushroom crates are everywhere. Any restaurant or cafe ,where they do a fry up will have them to go in the bin. We do do a dozen a week at least,and 2/3 gallon lidded buckets by the score. Just got to ask,as they now present a waste disposal problem.
Obscene plastic waste!
I've bought a tray of mushrooms for £1 before now and was amazed they gave me the tray. It has to be 25p minimal trade price to the wholesaler.
They go on ebay for £15 for ten.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294406909974
That something so eminently re-usable and so non-biodegradable should be single use is an obscenity.
Same goes for so much plastic food packaging, such as plastic takeaway tubs. Makes me want to cry! Makes me want to stop buying mushrooms in protest.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:44 pm

Those mushroom crates are everywhere. Any restaurant or cafe ,where they do a fry up will have them to go in the bin. We do do a dozen a week at least,and 2/3 gallon lidded buckets by the score. Just got to ask,as they now present a waste disposal problem.
My local bakery sells all their lidded buckets at a quid each, quite a lot of them are square so they fit on shelves a lot better then round ones.

I'm surprised that someone at your place hasn't got a sideline going jansman.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:09 pm

My local bakery sells all their lidded buckets at a quid each, quite a lot of them are square so they fit on shelves a lot better then round ones.

I would,but I can’t be bothered.Life is busy enough!

Robert Frost.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:10 pm

I would for you (50/50)....... But I think you may be a bit far away :cry:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:13 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:10 pm

I would for you (50/50)....... But I think you may be a bit far away :cry:
In fairness,I do let my local tackle shop have what he needs ( for bait) and I get my bait for nothing.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I had my EDC challenged a little this evening. I got a call from my father's partner who was in tears saying my dad wasn't home from the pub when expected. The daft old bugger refuses to have a mobile phone, so I had to trog into the city to make sure he was still sat in the pub and not in a hospital having had a third heart attack or something. He was indeed (thankfully) completely trashed on Guinness and annoying the other pub patrons with the sh*te he was spouting :roll:

ANYWAY, my drive home was my first drive home in the proper dark to this place and I realised that even though there are PIR lights at the door, they aren't that bright, so I was scrabbling for my torch in my bag at every set of traffic lights. Didn't find the damn thing until I was home and had eaten my tea! So a pen light with a clip is on the shopping list ASAP. Until then, I have the loop of my current EDC torch tied to a bag loop which will tide me over for now.

Also I realise now, that had I needed to sit in the hospital, then I don't have food or water in my car. That's a massive hole in car preps which needs fixing immediately.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Blimey, Mouse, talk about real world problems! Great to find that things are fixable ... but still, horrendous!