What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

rik_uk3 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:41 am If you go down with a dose of the Jaipui Jitters think before reaching for medication to stop it. If you maintain your fluid intake, take something like Rehidrat it will let your body carry on and flush out whatever caused the problem in the first place; you don't want to take medication that will retain whatever triggered your problem straight away better to let nature flush you through.

If your drinking fizzy drinks (lemonade/coke/sports) to help rehydrate let them go 'flat' before drinking because carbonated drinks may well irritate an already unset stomach and that goes for your probiotic yogurt too, lay off it for a few days.
A hot curry is usually the cure 😂 you know your fully flushed when the burning starts then lob down the imodium :lol:

I've also got rehydration salts dioralite equivalent
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

As for other preps today.... Dentist out comes the broken tooth that's been causing repeated infections :mrgreen:

Also landed another dry powder extinguisher for nothing from the extinguisher service agent who comes to work it's a few years old he's taken it out of a site as they are being phased out in industry ... but he serviced it in front of me so it's got a full ticket for 12months
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Veg in the polytunnel has peaked and I've picked just over six kilo of toms today so I'll cook them in a pressure cooker, reduce, course sieve and freeze this passata. I've made a lot of chili/tom chutney already and the xmas day spuds are in ready to harvest xmas eve (or there abouts). Its not to late to plant some spuds even in a bin liner, tuck away in a garden corner and keep watered.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

That's hysterical :lol: :lol: :lol: I was actually going to add "a diarrhea stopper" to your list, but I can never spell the dratted word correctly :mrgreen:

lol...i go with 'dire rear' which kind of sums up the situation :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

We only do online grocery shopping. Physically turning up at Tesco is a waste of life quite frankly. Last couple of weeks there have been a lot of ‘not available’ items. Fair enough. So we are picking stuff up as and when available. We won’t starve.

Garden is moving into Autumn now, so I am busy harvesting peas and beans for dry storage , and Spring cabbage is ready to go in.

Making up a compact fishing kit for the car. I was made aware yesterday that one of my fishing permits extends along the river into South Derbyshire about a quarter mile from where I work. As I generally work a 6 til 2 shift , I can easily grab a couple of hours sport as time allows.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

We've done a bit of harvesting. Tomatoes are now passatta and I spent Sunday pickling beetroot for the first time. I thought we had loads but it only filled 7 jars and if I'm lucky I might be left with 2. Eldest daughter requested hers crinkle cut and I still had my old crinkle chipper so did the lot with that. I still have a whole load of bell peppers to pick this weekend of which some will go in the dehydrator as will some of the chillis which I will grind up for powder. We foraged a whole load of blackberries from the back field a couple of weeks ago which are now frozen so will make them into pies once Ive managed to deal with all the apples. I do hate making pastry by hand though and tend to buy frozen (Granny would turn in her grave) so might invest in a food processor with blender as I borrowed daughters nutri bullet to blend the tomatoes a few at a time. Discussing what to grow next year so that we can add to the seed collection.
Growing old disgracefully!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Medusa wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:50 pm We've done a bit of harvesting. Tomatoes ... beetroot ... bell peppers ... chillis ... blackberries
Discussing what to grow next year so that we can add to the seed collection.
You call that a bit of harvesting! Damn that's impressive. :shock:
Medusa, you are my hero. My tomato crop was totally wiped out by blight and I'll be lucky to get half a dozen baby beetroots.
I know who to come to for food growing advice. :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Speaking of harvesting. Got home this afternoon and took out the dried peas, borlotti beans, and blue lake beans. I reckon there will be four pounds by the time they are shelled. The runner beans will be a little longer, and I reckon a couple of pounds there. The marrows are harvested, but we eat those fast. Got one tonight. However, the spaghetti marrows ( a Winter squash) have done brilliantly. Amongst the rambling foliage I have counted 18. One, which must weigh 6 or 7 lbs. is hanging from a vine in one of the apple trees!
And that’s another crop. The apple trees are loaded. I nailed about 10 lbs of plums ( in the freezer now) and when I have time , I’ll brew them. Lots of pears, but I’ll leave them to Mrs J , as I can’t stand them! Rhubarb is frozen too, as I make a mean chilli- rhubarb chutney. When I have time.
Beetroot we love. We don’t pickle them though.We can buy pickle beets from Tesco for 30 odd pence! Too much work. Mrs J grates them into salads. Or wraps them in foil and bakes them. I simply lift them, dry and store in dry sand in a shed. The artichokes, brassica, chard, leeks etc. can sit there until needed. Don’t need any more work!
In the garden we also have The Girls. They are laying eggs every day. Lovely. All I need to do is shoot the pigeons in the humongous conifer 2 doors down , and I have a food supply system! :lol: Yeah , right!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:15 am
Medusa wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:50 pm We've done a bit of harvesting. Tomatoes ... beetroot ... bell peppers ... chillis ... blackberries
Discussing what to grow next year so that we can add to the seed collection.
You call that a bit of harvesting! Damn that's impressive. :shock:
Medusa, you are my hero. My tomato crop was totally wiped out by blight and I'll be lucky to get half a dozen baby beetroots.
I know who to come to for food growing advice. :)
jennyjj I think blight has been a huge issue for a lot of people this year, apparently even Monty Don has it on his tomatoes
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Jansman are you willing to share your chilli rhubarb chutney recipe please. It sounds delicious!