Buy or build a Home First Aid Kit

Medical and Healthcare
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Buy or build a Home First Aid Kit

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

hanhan wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:09 pm Hi,

I'm building my own first aid kit, although I wish I had seen the £20 ones on Amazon as I would have got one of those and added to it. Thanks for sharing the professional kit on Evaq8. Didn't realise it was possible to get things like that, so I'll definitely be buying one of those.

Just remember like most stuff training and skill can replace kit ...

A clean t-shirt can be a good emergency pressure dressing when coupled with your knee . ...

A shirt or jacket can make a improvised sling

Soap and water makes a good wound wash. .

A decent first aid course is well worth attending...

You learn such stuff as the only time it's legal to beat your child black and blue. And when it's permissable to break someone's ribs without getting into trouble ;) (choking child back blows if you dont leave hand prints it's not hard enough.... And you do get some VERY funny looks down the baby supplies isle in Tesco's when you administrator them until the piece of apple flies out .....And the little one starts screaming.... And CPR will break ribs)

;)

But a first aid kit coupled with training...... Your going to potentially really make a difference to the 3'p's

Prevent (an injury worsening)
Preserve (life)
Promote (a recovery)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
hanhan

Post by hanhan »

Hi Andy,

Some great advice there. Are there any first aid courses that are particularly good that you would recommend? Also how do you respond to an exact quote on here? When I respond to anything it seems to be to the overarching questions rather than individuals questions and responses within the thread. I can't see how you respond to a quote like you have done. Please advise :)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

To quote tap the top right little square with three dots in [...] post your wanting to quote then select quote in the drop down menu.... Obviously I'm a mod so have a few extra toys :twisted:
Screenshot_20210906-095411.png

As for courses there's many different levels but for most the first aid at work 3 day covers most bases unless your remote working then your up into frec (first responders in emergency care)

There is a lesser course called emergency first aid at work (1 day)

Most of the cost is the accreditation ask the training provider of they can do a course without accreditation some will knock a good few quid off

Or look out for free ones often done by local councils / charities

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:32 am To quote tap the top right little square with three dots in [...] post your wanting to quote then select quote in the drop down menu.... Obviously I'm a mod so have a few extra toys :twisted:
That's not how us peasants get a quote up onscreen :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hanhan, at the top right of a post is a quotation mark - press that, and hey presto, job jobbed :) When I use it, I tailor what I've quoted, deleting stuff that I'm not responding to, but it's 50/50 people do or don't do that.
hanhan

Post by hanhan »

at the top right of a post is a quotation mark - press that, and hey presto, job jobbed :) When I use it, I tailor what I've quoted, deleting stuff that I'm not responding to, but it's 50/50 people do or don't do that.

Ah, thanks very much, I see that now. I have tried it so lets see how it comes out when I post this message :D
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

On my page, hanhan, the quote thing isn't coming across - it looks like you've written what I wrote. Try again, good luck :)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

On the first aid front there's a few apps available too

The British red cross do a general first aid app and a child specific one both free in the play store
Screenshot_20210906-214307.png

jansman

Post by jansman »

I agree with Yorkshire Andy: Skill trumps kit any day. If you have the knowledge,you can improvise in emergencies. That goes for all skills of course,not just medical. My own first aid training expires at the start of next year,and I will retrain in a heartbeat,if you will forgive the pun! :D The last three years have seen me attend to several faints/ collapses,a seizure,an accidental stabbing and latterly ,resuscitation of my boss,who had ,as he puts it,”had a bit of a heart attack “. That was all done without ANY kit,apart from a trauma dressing for the stab wound - and I had already grabbed several clean tea towels from the laundry cupboard on the way into the kitchen.

That said though; it’s good to have a few plasters,bandages and OTC remedies especially. If you are going to get horrendous toothache,it’ll be Sunday morning with no way to procure decent painkillers! And if you have children,you must simply NEVER run out of Calpol or it’s generic equivalent , as that is tantamount to be a bad parent! We now have ‘step’ grandchildren,and it was the first thing my wife bought when one stayed recently.

I would suggest that purchasing a decent kit is a good idea if you don’t know where to start,but if you do,then build your own .If that makes sense? My wife and I are both trained, but we don’t possess a tourniquet for instance within our own extensive kit. Why? Because neither of us are trained to use it. Our next courses will include that. That may sound rather remiss of us, but we know our limits. My first aid trainer said the most useful kit is your mobile phone , as you are simply providing ‘FIRST’ aid,until the professionals get there. I can testify to the relief of seeing medics after stemming blood , and knocking seven bells out of my gaffer’s chest,and the mobile phone facilitated that,as well as being supported by a trained medic during the call.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

The old 999/112 then slap it on loud speaker..

If your not aware most smart mobiles put your approx location on the screen too during the 999 call so if your "lost" you have a approx location to give...

The ambulance control will go through their flow chart and tell you what to do.... Which I'm sure jansman will agree doesn't always follow your first aid training it's best just to do as they ask as they tend to get arsey if you don't :lol: :roll:

hanhan

Post by hanhan »

On my page, hanhan, the quote thing isn't coming across - it looks like you've written what I wrote. Try again, good luck :)

Ok lets have another go. Has it worked this time?