Fire preparedness kit

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Rebelprepping

Fire preparedness kit

Post by Rebelprepping »

I have watched hundreds of prepping essential videos and i don't recall ever seeing a mention of fire fighting equipment. Stockpiling preps but leaving them vulnerable to a fire is not smart. Particularly in a SHTF scenario where we are relying on candle light, portable gas stoves and fire places in our homes the chance of a house fire is high. I would recommend certain basics in order to safe guard your preps and some can double up for other uses.
Must haves:
1) A standard ABC fire extinguisher. You can buy one for around £10 and will deal with any home fire. Can double up as self defence if sprayed at home invaders.
2) A fire blanket to smother fires. If a fire is among your preps maybe blasting a bunch of extinguisher chemicals on them isn't a good idea. No point saving them from a fire to be ruined by chemicals.
3) A burns kit to treat anyone who has been burned by the fire or treat smoke inhalation.
4) fully functional and well maintained fire alarms

Optional:
4) A rope ladder. You can get them from £30 up into the hundreds. If a fire cannot be extinguished and your exit is blocked. Say the fire is down stairs and you are upstairs. Invested in a ladder allowing you to evacuate via a second floor window.
5)Fire doors to prevent the spread of fire from one room to the next. These are standard in many houses these days but never hurts to make sure

Further tips: I keep my fire extinguisher by my bed. The most dangerous fires will be when i'm asleep so need to be prepared to fight the fire straight away. I also keep an extra bag with warm clothes as well as my bug out bag by my bed as i sleep naked, so if there is a fire i can grab it and evacuate then put clothes on. Most bug out bags assume you are already wearing clothes when you bug out but what if you are naked when the time comes?

I hope this has raised some awareness with people and you will take steps to safe guard your preps
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Fire preparedness kit

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Dry powder won't work on every fire in the home...

It's useless on deep fat frier fires / cooking oil or lithium fires (lap to batteries phones and tablets) whilst most other agents are not much better on low voltage packs (laptops) water or foam is best it won't put out the burning cells but can be used to cool the battery pack to prevent thermal run away and adjacent cells rupturing a bucket of dry sand is even better to burry the fire / battery and exclude oxygen

Also powder can cause a heck of a lot of damage imagine giving a toddler a bag of flour to play with and multiply the mess by 10 :lol:

It also doesn't cool so if you don't fully extinguish the fire In it's early stages it can (and will) reignite
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Have a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15862

Few extinguishers have been replaced since due to age or dropping pressure

Hall way now has a 2l afff foam extinguisher

Kitchen a 3l multi foam

Shed has an additional co2 to cover the tumble drier

Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

From my experience in the lab, sand is your best friend for most things.
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Jerseyspud wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:05 pm From my experience in the lab, sand is your best friend for most things.
Remember years ago most workplaces had buckets of sand hung about the place... You never see it now bar the odd few filling stations .....

Same with camping you used to have a fire bucket filled with water by your caravan or tent you don't see it now

Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:44 pm Same with camping you used to have a fire bucket filled with water by your caravan or tent you don't see it now
Happy camper here, we always keep a bucket of water by the bell tent. We use a wood burning stove so also have a fire extinguisher and a carbon monoxide detector.
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:07 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:44 pm Same with camping you used to have a fire bucket filled with water by your caravan or tent you don't see it now
Happy camper here, we always keep a bucket of water by the bell tent. We use a wood burning stove so also have a fire extinguisher and a carbon monoxide detector.
Snap used the fire bucket in anger about 4 years ago when some bright spark put a still hot disposable bbq in the sites biffa type skip... Managed to knock the fire down before finishing the job with the farm houses garden hose..... By the time the camp owber appeared the bin was 3/4 full of water I put the hose on spray and trapped the spray gun in the lid :lol:

Incidentally a few minutes with a hair driers and sine decent double sided tape

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201739679102 ... SwnHZYRYX5

It glows for a good few hours so you don't fall over it when you go to the toilet after dark :lol:

Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:25 pm
Snap used the fire bucket in anger about 4 years ago when some bright spark put a still hot disposable bbq in the sites biffa type skip... Managed to knock the fire down before finishing the job with the farm houses garden hose..... By the time the camp owber appeared the bin was 3/4 full of water I put the hose on spray and trapped the spray gun in the lid :lol:

It glows for a good few hours so you don't fall over it when you go to the toilet after dark :lol:
We have ensuite facilities, dont you know. Basically a utility tent with the chemical toilet, a hozelock portable shower and a kids paddling pool. We also have a "pee hat" one of those hats with a light fitted. Ideal for early hours visits when it's cold.

We had a fire at work recently, very unpleasant, but thankfully nobody was hurt. We had no gas, electricity or ways of brewing up and my stove and billy can from the truck box came in handy along with my emergency brew supplies. My powerbank also got used to charge up the works mobile.
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:47 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:25 pm

We have ensuite facilities, dont you know. Basically a utility tent with the chemical toilet, a hozelock portable shower and a kids paddling pool. We also have a "pee hat" one of those hats with a light fitted. Ideal for early hours visits when it's cold.

We had a fire at work recently, very unpleasant, but thankfully nobody was hurt. We had no gas, electricity or ways of brewing up and my stove and billy can from the truck box came in handy along with my emergency brew supplies. My powerbank also got used to charge up the works mobile.
Very nice I've got a chem loo and a 12v shower pump thing that I can run off the trailers inbuilt leisure battery system and a toilet tent that goes up round the back of the tent