What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

bobble wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:10 pm Bought some replacement bulbs for my car today.
Did you cross reference the bulbs in your handbook or just get a "generic" set? Reason I ask is car makers like to make life hard nothing is blooming standard. Take headlights you have the options of..... H1 H2 or H7 are the three most common halogen lamps

Same goes for tail lamps :? Several types and sizes

If you've not already might be worth checking

Local independent motorfactors is the way forward in the case of smaller bulbs it's often cheaper to buy a box of each over the likes of Halfords retail carded individual bulbs
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:40 pm Just ordered some more hexamine blocks. Went fishing today, and the weather was awful.Whilst I kept dry,the wind really cut through,and after three hours I was COLD. I was catching,but I made the decision to get some warm grub in me. My get home bag came in to play: fetched out the hexi- stove and mess tin,water and a pasta meal. Within 15 minutes I was getting some warm scran down me. Then the sun came out, and I fished on, feeling a lot more comfortable.

I didn’t think a lot about it at the time, but it was a good test of my kit.The new Dragon fuel is crap.Doesn’t burn long enough.The old style Hexi burns twice as long,even though the eco police don’t like it and it does stink :lol: Food replaced,water replaced.Done.

Just don't go mistaking it for your Kendal mint cake :lol:

Those flameless add water ration heaters are surprisingly good with the standard MRE type pouches especially if you swaddle the pouch in a spare jumper or wrap in a bit of newspaper / plastic bag or what ever.. round it to trap the heat

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLAMELESS-RA ... 2zEALw_wcB

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Had a bit of a restock / move about / sort out ... finally removed the snow chains / shovel / sno broom from the cat boot :oops:

Replaced the led mini beacon (well put the mini one in the wife's car since she's now commuting a longer distance) and I bought a slight cheaper bigger one for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwNszFSqMZ0

Plenty bright enough

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:18 pm
bobble wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:10 pm Bought some replacement bulbs for my car today.
Did you cross reference the bulbs in your handbook or just get a "generic" set? Reason I ask is car makers like to make life hard nothing is blooming standard. Take headlights you have the options of..... H1 H2 or H7 are the three most common halogen lamps

Same goes for tail lamps :? Several types and sizes

If you've not already might be worth checking

Local independent motorfactors is the way forward in the case of smaller bulbs it's often cheaper to buy a box of each over the likes of Halfords retail carded individual bulbs
My local place (a family firm) prefers to look it up for you, they ask for the cars reg and take it from there.
I suppose it means they don't have people bringing stuff back all the time that way.
One bulb I bought from there a few years ago was 15p..... Including VAT !
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
bobble

Post by bobble »

May 25, 2021 9:18 pm

bobble wrote: ↑Bought some replacement bulbs for my car today.

Did you cross reference the bulbs in your handbook or just get a "generic" set?

Yeah know what you mean! I always go to our local car parts shop in Whiston as the guys are "spot on" and well informed and theyve never sold me a dud.
The guy said that batteries will be in short supply soon and will be going up in price!
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

jansman wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:40 pm Just ordered some more hexamine blocks. Went fishing today, and the weather was awful.Whilst I kept dry,the wind really cut through,and after three hours I was COLD. I was catching,but I made the decision to get some warm grub in me. My get home bag came in to play: fetched out the hexi- stove and mess tin,water and a pasta meal. Within 15 minutes I was getting some warm scran down me. Then the sun came out, and I fished on, feeling a lot more comfortable.

I didn’t think a lot about it at the time, but it was a good test of my kit.The new Dragon fuel is crap.Doesn’t burn long enough.The old style Hexi burns twice as long,even though the eco police don’t like it and it does stink :lol: Food replaced,water replaced.Done.
True, dragon gel blocks aren't as good as hexi, but, if keep the wee plastic tubs they're in you can drill a hole in the bottom and use them as individual seed modules.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Just keeping the garden ticking over now,as it is all planted up for the first phase.Autumn seeds are on the bench now,ready for July/ August sowing. Currently harvesting Spring cabbage,Welsh onions,lettuce and radish,and it looks like my pots of forced potatoes are now ready.Happy days. :D

Tomorrow I am doing one of the most important seasonal jobs in my calendar: Sweeping the chimneys.It’s not a job I relish,but I have done it for so many years now,that I have it down to a fine art. From fetching the kit out of the workshop,to having a shower,takes me two and a half hours. As my old boss would have said,” A good job,jobbed.”
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That's very impressive, jansman, to have the kit and to do it.

The seedlings I bought are still alive, I haven't drowned them, though I have made a boo-boo in the garden - I rested on my laurels after all the bramble digging-up, and now the ordinary weeds have gone completely crazy. Some have set seed, though none of the seeds have got to the dropping off point yet. Must do better.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I split up a supermarket basil into 4 separate pots to see if i can make the thing survive. My tomatoes haven't died yet, but there's still time :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Chimneys now ready for Winter! I had to wait for the neighbours to go to work ( brush up chimney IS a bit noisy) so early this morning put out more salad/ outdoor tomatoes. Restocked shelves in the pantry from our storeroom ( and made a shopping list of replacement items). A bit of home brewing after lunch,and then watching fishing videos on YouTube. All in all ,a productive day. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.