New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
pawbroon74

Post by pawbroon74 »

Hi everyone. I would like to introduce myself. I'm new to the website but not new to thinking about what's going on around us. I woke up in 2015 and have been trying to make sense of things since then. I am trying to prepare for things to come so any information would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
Jerseyspud

Re: New member

Post by Jerseyspud »

Hi and welcome

What sort of thing are you prepping for?
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

pawbroon74 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:51 pm Hi everyone. I would like to introduce myself. I'm new to the website but not new to thinking about what's going on around us. I woke up in 2015 and have been trying to make sense of things since then. I am trying to prepare for things to come so any information would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
Hi and welcome to this great prepping resource. As Jerseyspud alluded to, Your first step is to visualise what you are prepping for. Get max overlap in your preps. E.g. a full pantry is a good all weather prep.
Rather than type it out again....
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17485&p=203535#p203535
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, hope you find things of use here. We have a fair few members in Scotland, and conditions local to you in Glasgow will be important too, your route as you journey home from work, that sort of thing. There's lots of information on here!
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

hullo and welcome
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
pawbroon74

Post by pawbroon74 »

Many thanks to everyone.
Since the lockdowns/restrictions of movement due to covid I have become more aware of how things can change very quickly. I started prepping for food, medical, and essential item shortages.
I've already started storing non perishable food but I'm not sure how far to go with it.
For example, do I keep things like pasta and rice in their original packaging and rotate the stock or do I go a step further and buy mylar bags and sealable tubs for long term storage.
Also, how long can you store tap water in a 2 litre plastic bottle for.
I'm trying to gather as much information as possible for peace of mind. Every day is a school day but thank goodness for this helpful website ☺️
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

I store my food in the packaging it came in but mine is stored in the house

Water I think it's 6 months for tap water in bottles. I buy mine in bottles already and store them, but I have water containers to store water in in a shtf situation
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

pawbroon74 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:32 pm Many thanks to everyone.
Since the lockdowns/restrictions of movement due to covid I have become more aware of how things can change very quickly. I started prepping for food, medical, and essential item shortages.
I've already started storing non perishable food but I'm not sure how far to go with it.
For example, do I keep things like pasta and rice in their original packaging and rotate the stock or do I go a step further and buy mylar bags and sealable tubs for long term storage.
Also, how long can you store tap water in a 2 litre plastic bottle for.
I'm trying to gather as much information as possible for peace of mind. Every day is a school day but thank goodness for this helpful website ☺️
Hi , and welcome.

Ideally, ROTATE. Use your stockpile as your 'corner shop' and your shopping trips replenish that. Write BBE dates on everything in big clear letters with a marker pen and give your best shot at food rotating. Some things, like powdered milk and unpopular spam, you might have to accept that it will one day get discarded, though pretty much ignore BBE dates as any kind of expiry threshold.

I keep my rice, pasta and sachets of mash, etc in the bags they came in, and then in a bin bag and into a big fruit box. Indeed most of my stock is stacked up in fruit boxes blagged from the supermarket. I've had few issues with spoilage in spite of the fact stuff was subject to extremes of temperature in the loft for over a year. Some tubes of tomato puree really did go off, and much of my chocolate stash went white. A benefit of using what you stash, is that you spot these problems before the apocalypse.

For oats, flour and sugar and dried fruit, I pop the original package into vacuum sealed bags. If there is air in the original, like oats, pop a hole in the bag first, so it shrinks into a hard brick like block. Many sachets are already packed in nitrogen anyway, so no need to expel it. Mylar bags are pretty expensive, and overkill in my opinion. Same with oxygen absorbers and to a lesser degree silica gel. I'm a HUGE fan of vac sealing, both in bags and mason jars. LIDL do some nice rice that is already vac packed and the boxes are like bricks.
Don't put your own tap water into bottles. But shop bought 2 litre bottles of Asda Smart price at 17p should be perfectly usable for 5 years. At that price, just keep buying it till you run out of space. Interestingly, ASDA won't deliver that water. Probably would not cost in for them.
A good way of storing water, is in the form of wine or beer :D My stash comprises kits for both and lots in crates ready to drink if SHTF

Like many, I saw Brexit and Lockdown 1 as dress rehearsals. Even with all my planning, it identified gaps. We live and learn.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pawbroon74

Post by pawbroon74 »

Thanks everyone. Great answers and loads of amazing information ☺️
I've made good progress due to all your help :)
Ara

Post by Ara »

I knew you were in Scotland as soon as I saw your name. I love the Broons.