What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
Medusa

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by Medusa »

Ive spent today in the garden, planting carrots, brocolli, caulis and cabbage out and moved bell peppers and chillies from upstairs into the greenhouse also ordered another lot of nematodes as we seem to suffer with vine weevils. I have been a bit lax on the prepping front recently and badly need to reorganise my EDC and do some tidying in the store room. I bought husband a swing case for the back of the truck for Christmas and that is now fitted so I can organise some things in that and will probably buy a few bits and pieces which I have on a wish list.
Growing old disgracefully!
jenny1

Post by jenny1 »

My local council sent out orders for everyone with dangerous trees ( or might be dangerous in their view) to have them cut down by the end of the year of be taken to court. I had to get tree fellers in as mine was overhanging a busy A road and they needed traffic lights. They gave me funny looks when I said i didn't want it chipping, just throw it into the garden! I'm now busily chopping it up for the fire, small branches will go for kindling.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Shame you can't take your Council to Court for all the potholes in your street, broken paving slabs. smashed street lights etc.... :? :roll:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

pseudonym wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:32 pm Shame you can't take your Council to Court for all the potholes in your street, broken paving slabs. smashed street lights etc.... :? :roll:
We are in a council house and got a letter about our hedge encroaching on the pavement 2 years back ... Our front boundary is a council house flipping fence..... ... Turns out their "man" decided the hedge dividing ours from next door about 6" of that hedge is at "our side". Thus our problem... It sits 4" proud of the concrete gate post.... Next door got one too.... .. took me longer to fill the petrol hedge cutter up than it did to trim 4" of growth back . When I finally did it... We had a blackbird nesting...

Council chap I dealt with didn't like being told there's a blackbird nesting so I'd commit an offence by disturbing a nesting bird (wildlife and country act 1981) and that is a criminal offence which is why we had left it and make sure he adds it to his notes as they threatened to do the remedial work and bill us if we didn't do It ourselves as they would commit the offence having being notified ... It went down like a lead balloon but he conceded next door told them the same :P. Once they had fledged hedge cutter came out
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:19 pm
pseudonym wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:32 pm Shame you can't take your Council to Court for all the potholes in your street, broken paving slabs. smashed street lights etc.... :? :roll:
We are in a council house and got a letter about our hedge encroaching on the pavement 2 years back ... Our front boundary is a council house flipping fence..... ... Turns out their "man" decided the hedge dividing ours from next door about 6" of that hedge is at "our side". Thus our problem... It sits 4" proud of the concrete gate post.... Next door got one too.... .. took me longer to fill the petrol hedge cutter up than it did to trim 4" of growth back . When I finally did it... We had a blackbird nesting...

Council chap I dealt with didn't like being told there's a blackbird nesting so I'd commit an offence by disturbing a nesting bird (wildlife and country act 1981) and that is a criminal offence which is why we had left it and make sure he adds it to his notes as they threatened to do the remedial work and bill us if we didn't do It ourselves as they would commit the offence having being notified ... It went down like a lead balloon but he conceded next door told them the same :P. Once they had fledged hedge cutter came out
Nice move that.

Some years ago our neighbour let her house out to the borough council environmental health department.They were overseeing the house as a ‘ halfway house’ for single,abused mothers,going between a refuge and social housing. For three years we had all sorts in there,and during that time only two single mums ( who were ok). The rest were socially dysfunctional blokes,families...well I could go on,it was a nightmare.

However,the central heating pump started squealing,big time and all the time.That particular tenant never seemed to be there.I complained to Environmental Health who did absolutely nothing. So then I went on to their website and filed a statutory noise complaint against themselves! By law they had to respond within an allotted time.They didn’t.They were obviously closing ranks. We had a solicitor next door to my work,and for two good bottles of wine,he sent them a letter threatening court action.That did the trick,and I got a reluctant apology.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

They really can be a law to themselves and as and when it suits them :evil:

This week's fun is car hunting for Mrs Andy . New job her old car won't be upto the 25 mile commute currently garages round here are taking "Bookings" and not open late like they used to "covid" ... It might sell before the weekend etc .. ok no bother if it sells it sells plenty others at different garages :?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
peejay

Post by peejay »

After a 2yr hiatus (last year due to covid, previous year due to house move) I'm deep-cleaning the caravan as we had a couple of mice in there last year & she knows where they've been so I'm cleaning every millimetre I can reach with a cloth. Got half of it done this afternoon, will finish it off tomorrow. Outside looks even worse but that's more of a pain to get cleaned as I can't get the caravan onto the rear drive at home.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Just cutting the wood for next winter here.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Nurseandy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:00 am Just cutting the wood for next winter here.
Just what I am about to start doing too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Am a little divided just now, I want to do a bit of spring cleaning , which is easier if your cupboards are not over full, on the other hand there are so many reasons at the moment , indicating that building my preps up would be a good idea. The latter won, I went shopping yesterday for milk, fruit etc. and ended up with stuff to add to stocks. Maybe my prepping has taken over my brain and I've slipped into being a hoarder!!