What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:50 pm I'm currently picking out a few seed choices for my own first grown-up forays into growing edibles, Herself plants tomatoes and beans each year but I thought I'd try beetroot, carrots and pickling onions as these are things we already eat.
Growing space at present is too limited for potatoes or massive crops of anything , so its going to be more of a training exercise then anything.
Going to be using containers ( wooden troughs made from pallet boards) so I'm looking at short varieties of carrot and small versions of the other stuff..... Any suggestions? (no F1s please, as I'll be experimenting with seed saving where possible)
I grow Amsterdam Forcing carrots in buckets every year- successfully. I also grow ‘Rocket’ early spuds in 12” pots. Worth a go.Salad leaves do well,oriental greens too.I grow marrows, courgettes and trailing Winter squash in 5 gallon pickle barrels also. I have dumbed my garden down somewhat ( there is a lot of it!) for the sake of time and age- proofing, and the container method lends itself well to my automated watering system too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Today me and the brood went for a long walk on the sand dunes here and then popped to town. Black has a sale on and I was able get 8 gas cartridges for my camping stove for £10! Which I am pretty excited about 😂 it's the little things
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nothing too exciting....

Replaced one of the sheds extinguishers since it dropped pressure £21 delivered for a 6l aff foam extinguisher from fleabay brand-new not worth getting a service agent out at that price chuck it out and replace :|

Got another led plug in "nightlight" / emergency / pir light to replace one that decided to flash on and off at random from Lidl £8

Ordered another 20,000 mah power bank from aldi seems really solid..

Plus some more aa rechargeable batteries £2.99 in Lidl
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Camping stove arrives today ready to play with at the weekend

10l of water bought when as went to the shop and a selection of tinned fruit for my cupboard and some suet

And my lettuce seeds are starting the sprout. So successful day today
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I finally had another supermarket delivery ... bought lots of full leaf spinach to dehydrate. Two interesting things:
- they were completely out of stock of real feta, the stuff made of sheep and goat milk, the only stuff they had left was made of cows milk, which I'm allergic to. I'd let my stock run down, so I only have 800g. There's just me, but thats not very much for me, feta is like my heroin :mrgreen: It will make me make lots of nut loaf to get my protein, thats all, which is no bad thing.
- the delivery driver was absolutely spitting feathers when he arrived: he'd been stuck in a traffic jam :? As he said, so much for a national lockdown.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:16 pm - they were completely out of stock of real feta, the stuff made of sheep and goat milk, the only stuff they had left was made of cows milk, which I'm allergic to.
Greek yoghurt has been hard to get recently. I wonder if there's a connection?
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

It might be, Mouse ... I just checked online for where the feta I normally use is made, and yes, the milk is actually from Greece.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Jerseyspud wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:07 pm Camping stove arrives today ready to play with at the weekend

10l of water bought when as went to the shop and a selection of tinned fruit for my cupboard and some suet

What stove did you plump for?

For "bulk" water storage I've a few of these in the cupboard under the stairs (dark and cool in there) I swap the water out every 4 months or so. Paid £6 a drum (at the local boat yard new clean food grade) and about £5 for a tap..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-EQDTAP-2 ... +dr&sr=8-3
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:30 pm
Jerseyspud wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:07 pm Camping stove arrives today ready to play with at the weekend

What stove did you plump for?

For "bulk" water storage I've a few of these in the cupboard under the stairs (dark and cool in there) I swap the water out every 4 months or so. Paid £6 a drum (at the local boat yard new clean food grade) and about £5 for a tap..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-EQDTAP-2 ... +dr&sr=8-3
This is my single ring gas camping stove I ordered last week

The one recommended to me from here for wood burning will be ordered on pay day :D

jansman

Post by jansman »

Security is the name of the game here.Since the new owner next door ripped out the garden,it leaves ours extremely exposed,via the now visible wall at the top. Beefing up padlocks,lighting and pinch points ( with barbed wire). The wall at the top will have a fillet of mortar and broken glass set in it- yes, I know what the law says- but the neighbour whose wall it is,is more than happy with that.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.